Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another decent review of Deadlands....

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Another decent review of Deadlands....

Another reviewer at Horror-Movies.Ca has posted a new review for Deadlands. The review itself is very positive and does cover the spectrum of everything from production to acting to Post production.

Enjoy:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2940.htm
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    nice. but aren't you in the mid-atlantic-in MD? they describe you (or at least the folks in the film) as mid-western folks.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yep... I saw that. I just chuckled. No biggie though.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    I just added the movie to my Bigchoice Q. I gotta tell ya man, the renters at BB have shown you no love so far. You piss someone off? I'll letcha know what I think when I see it.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well a lot of the people who rent a movie like this don't understand they are walking into a low budget shot on DV horror film, and I think when they turn it on and see that it turns them off right away.

People who understand the shot on DV indies and are reviewers get the concept, and understand the story and not the technical merits, but you can't please everyone.

Most of the critical reviews from major horror websites has been positive. Here is another decent review. http://unboundzine.com/deadlands.html
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    So finally saw it man. Pretty good. Actually, very good for the low budget. My parents even watched it. . .I um. . won't tell you what they thought.
    Your "stuck in traffic" scene was pretty darned awesome. I kept thinking during the movie "if these guys had more money, better equipment, and more serious actors. . .they could pull off something pretty special." Anyways man, keep up the good work. . looking foward to Trapped.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks for the feedback Clang.

Glad you enjoyed it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Yeah I just picked up a copy at Hastings and watched it and.... well... I didn't love it. The acting was pretty bad. The dialogue was very... generic. Alot of it was pretty laughable unfortunatly. It had some good qualities though. The effects were well done. The music was good. But in trms of story, execution, acting, plot, etc. It's a pretty solid D-. Plus... Zombies don't run. lol. And I gotta say that its very slow in spots. (Like when he goes to set up the bottle and you spend a good minute just following him walking across the yard. Or watching some guy poor oil into his truck for 2 minutes.) And the dialogue in the car in the beginning was... obviously ad-libbed by two obvious non-actors. You need more work on ur scriptwriting. You need to build more character-wise. Have more of an original story concept. And I know ur VERY low budget. I am too. But you said on the commentary you had a budget of like 5,000 or so right? I suggest, spend less money on Make up and effects. And more on actors and continuity.

Overall : 3/10

P.S. - I can write a bad review. But remember, you got the last laugh. I spent 10 $ on this any way you look at it. So, either way. Ur getting money. lol

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I won't agrue with you, Deadlands 1 was trial by error. I made a lot of mistakes with that film, but I learned from them and everything you hated about Deadlands 1 you will find was fixed with Deadlands 2.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    And I gotta say that its very slow in spots. (Like when he goes to set up the bottle and you spend a good minute just following him walking across the yard. Or watching some guy poor oil into his truck for 2 minutes.) And the dialogue in the car in the beginning was... obviously ad-libbed by two obvious non-actors. You need more work on ur scriptwriting. You need to build more character-wise. Have more of an original story concept.
    Everything that you said there applies to your own movie, Minerva. May I also add that calling someone out for originality when you made a domestic (and just plain bad) remake of Halloween is a bit of a joke. No offence.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Everything that you said there applies to your own movie, Minerva. May I also add that calling someone out for originality when you made a domestic (and just plain bad) remake of Halloween is a bit of a joke. No offence.

Capn, it's ok. He is entitled to his opinion. With Dead 1 I have come to realize it is a love or hate relationship. It's not going to please everyone. The film has flaws, I know this, everyone knows this, and I don't mind the harsh criticism as much as I use too, it only goes to make me a strong filmmaker in the end.

Minerva, I haven't seen your Halloween flick, only the clip you posted that one time, and I don't mind your critique of Dead 1.

Capn, thanks for jumping in, I do appreciate it, but like I said it's no biggie.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Capn, thanks for jumping in, I do appreciate it, but like I said it's no biggie.
    Like I said, it was not my intention to cause offence, just to point out that the review was a little unfair because of the reasons I mentioned.

You know how I feel about running zombies myself but I respect Deadlands because it is two toes over the domestic line. It's toured, had a few promising reviews from established journos and (more to the point) secured a DVD release.

Whether anyone likes it or not (or whether the film is 'officially' good or bad), you should give yourself a big ole pat on the back with Deadlands. While it is far from my personal zombie favourite, I give credit where credit is due.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Like I said, thanks. And I do understand where you are coming from.

In regards to them "Pesky Runners" I hope you get over that soon because Dead 2 has them, as will all of my zombie flicks.

However, they do some shambling when they aren't chasing down the next course on the buffet.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    In regards to them "Pesky Runners" I hope you get over that soon because Dead 2 has them, as will all of my zombie flicks.
    Whether Deadlands 2 has 'dem pesky runnerz' in it or not, I shall still give it a good viewing. I will watch literally any zombie movie regardless of runners, jumpers, spiders, talkers, and will 99.9% give an impartial review (I'm afraid I broke that rule recently with Day 08 though).

My hatred of runners is simply the fact that they have failed to make me a true fan. Dawn 04 is a case in point - I loved the gore and some of the kills were outstanding - I just found the runners to be a bit stupid in the fact that it's doubtful any survivor would be able to exist when faced with such an unbeatable foe.

But yeah, bring on Deadlands 2, I'm game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ahhhhh, Capn, see, you answered the question. People surviving in a dead world with running zombies...

This is why I like Runners, it ups the scare factor, and the likely hood of survival is dropped to a very low percentage. This is why I enjoy using them, it keeps the story on its toes.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!