Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Riot singer dies

Undisclosed
    U2, Echo and The Bunnymen, Death Cab For Cutie, Cold War Kids, White Stripes, Tears For Fears, Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, XTC, Silverchair, R.E.M, The Cure, The Smiths, among others. THATS music.
    Last edited by Minerva_Zombi; 27-Nov-2007 at 06:25 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    U2, Echo and The Bunnymen, Death Cab For Cutie, Cold War Kids, White Stripes, Tears For Fears, Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, XTC, Silverchair, R.E.M, The Cure, The Smiths, among others. THATS music.
    Dude...come on. I wouldn't classify as a fan of "metal", but to say that it down right "sucks" or that it doesn't classify as music is pretty pathetic and close-minded. People have their own opinions and you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

For instance....I hate Korn. You like Korn. I absoultely love Silverchair. You like Silverchair. I hate the White Stripes. You like them. To categorize music into certain genres or tastes is ridiculous. Go with what you like and respect the opinion's around you.

Hell, I'm a HUGE fan of 311(obviously) and Dave Matthews Band. I'm pretty sure I'm the only member here that likes 311 and the only other member that likes DMB is dmbfanintn. Do people rag on us because of our preferences? Nope.....they keep an open mind.

That being said......I'm not a fan of Quiet Riot, but I know alot of people were and this is a sad day for them, I'm sure. Just the fact that they had fans meant something. Sorry for the loss, guys.

Undisclosed
    okay, not all metal sucks but... i guess i just grew out of that kinda stuff a while ago. i like some but, i just don't get it anymore.

Kazakhstan
    okay, not all metal sucks but... i guess i just grew out of that kinda stuff a while ago. i like some but, i just don't get it anymore.
    aye but metal doesnt suck. death cab for cutie suck, and instead of them you should have said joy division or the velvet underground
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Hell, I'm a HUGE fan of 311(obviously) and Dave Matthews Band. I'm pretty sure I'm the only member here that likes 311 and the only other member that likes DMB is dmbfanintn. Do people rag on us because of our preferences? Nope.....they keep an open mind.
    Actually, I'm going to start ragging on you over DMB!!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Actually, I'm going to start ragging on you over DMB!!!
    Two words: Carter Beauford. One of the greatest drummers alive...

United States
    I agree

Open your mind. To this day, I have listened to everything; metal, glam, alternative, new wave, punk, funk, soul ....

If it has a good groove, I'm into it.

United States
    Ick!! I'm staying outta this one. I'd be wholly outnumbered.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Metal is just as ridiculous, just as capable of being decent, just as guilty of pandering, just as possible of spawning cool, thoughtful music as many of the other music rooted in youth movements, and that includes the likes of emo, punk and all the shades of pop.

I just find metal funny. As long as people realize that it's mostly pastiches, over-the-top 'mad at my parents and the world' crap, melodrama, histrionics and posing, then that's okay. Personally, I think John Denver had more street cred than a lot of metal musicians

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I just find metal funny. As long as people realize that it's mostly pastiches, over-the-top 'mad at my parents and the world' crap, melodrama, histrionics and posing, then that's okay. Personally, I think John Denver had more street cred than a lot of metal musicians
    Seems like you've pretty much only heard metal bands that have been on the radio, to me...

Undisclosed
    So how long will it take for you to grow out of Korn, The White Stripes, etc.? Those "artists" create fads moreso than actually creating music.

And even if you don't like Quiet Riot musically (I don't particularly like them), you can recognize what they contributed to the pop metal genre and show some respect for the vocalist passing away.

Kazakhstan
    white stripes are good but ultimately it's just the pixies with a more bluesy edge.

i dont think all metal is ridiculous in a spinal tap/alice cooper way.

youve got famous bands like alice in chains, deftones, tool, nine inch nails, sunn o))) etc who are metal but dont dress like wrestlers or have beards & long hair or whatever
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    youve got famous bands like alice in chains, deftones, tool, nine inch nails, sunn o))) etc who are metal but dont dress like wrestlers or have beards & long hair or whatever
    But they still have a "look," and the look is about all that they have to offer. Twenty years ago, rock stars were skinny guys with long hair; now the only rock stars that are considered "cool" look like skinhead construction workers/bouncers. There is nothing new about metal since Van Halen and Metallica, only the way that it dresses and is packaged.

Early metal like Black Sabbath and especially Iron Maiden were all about rebellion through being able to play your instrument like a muthaf**ker. Iron Maiden had a "look," but it was always done tongue-in-cheek and was only used to further the music.

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    But they still have a "look," and the look is about all that they have to offer. Twenty years ago, rock stars were skinny guys with long hair; now the only rock stars that are considered "cool" look like skinhead construction workers/bouncers. There is nothing new about metal since Van Halen and Metallica, only the way that it dresses and is packaged.

Early metal like Black Sabbath and especially Iron Maiden were all about rebellion through being able to play your instrument like a muthaf**ker. Iron Maiden had a "look," but it was always done tongue-in-cheek and was only used to further the music.
    well i buy some of that, and yet i dont.

firstly i think those bands all have more to offer than just a look! nine inch nails in particular are a notable band in the history of pop music, let alone metal.

i dunno about the skinhead/bouncer thing either, if you look at the big metal bands at the moment - lamb of god, mastodon, trivium, dragonforce etc they dont really fit that bill.

and while i agree metal has ground to a halt, i think personally it ground to a halt after pantera's 5th major label album.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    opens the door for a peak. sees things heating up.

i will throw some sticks on the fire:
    i would rather listen to quiet riot 72 hours straight than have to sit through one song by any of the following bubblegum bands: fall out boy, green day, panic at the disco, the fray, all-american rejects, taking back sunday. all poppy crap.

now as for metal-some of the metal from the 80s/early 90s is quite good, even great: iron maiden, slayer, anthrax, testament, death, mercyful fate, metallica (before cliff burton's disagreement with a bus and gravity),violence, exodus, overkill, kreator-all rocked in their day.

i cannot stand what passes for metal these days. it sounds like industrial machinery with a dude desperately in need of a bran muffin and some exlax vocalizing over said machine sounds. these bands are doing nothing that death, kreator, and celtic frost didn't do 20 years-and far, far better than the folks today at that.

this thread is starting look as if it will provide quite a bit of entertainment before it burns out.

closes door again
    Last edited by Mike70; 28-Nov-2007 at 06:40 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."