Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs you get crap for liking...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Songs you get crap for liking...

Everyone has those songs they love, but all of their friends absolutely can't stand and make fun of them for listening to it. I figured it'd be fun to share our songs here. I'll start it off.

I have loved this song since I first saw it on a Levi commercial in the 90's. My friends loathe it. My favorite part kicks at around 4:20 (huhuhuh)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pretty much anything from The Talking Heads. All of my friends despise them.

Also any of the songs or the very mention of The Rocky Horror Picture show. I used to not like the songs/movie myself, but my wife's a huge fan and turned me around. Science Fiction Double Feature is great, imo...

Bring on the insults.

England
    Talking Heads are one of the greatest bands ever.

Legion's Verdict: Kill your friends (or at least slap them around until they confess to being philistines).

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Everything from the 80's New Wave that I absolutely dig. The 80's are my favorite decade when it comes to music and all my friends pick on me for it. One of my personal favorites would have to be The Fixx's "The Sign of Fire". Cy Curnin was DEFINITELY on some fine Colombian candy when this video was shot!

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 19-Jul-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Talking Heads are one of the greatest bands ever.

Legion's Verdict: Kill your friends (or at least slap them around until they confess to being philistines).
    Agreed. . . .tell your friends to put down the Dwight Yoakam CDs and be ready for some fisticuffs!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    kim wilde- kids in america.

haters gonna hate.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Jason - What's wrong with your friends? Even my friends (rowdy punks/thrashers) love Talking Heads!

JP - I've always loved 'One Thing Leads To Another'

Danny - A limey punk band that I love, The Toy Dolls, have covered that but changed it to 'Kids In Tyne And Wear'

United States
    19 by Paul Hardcastle

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Super Moderator

United States

What can I say? It speaks to me.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    The 80's rocked for shamefull music that folks secretly like.

I have the likes of Alphaville, A Flock of Seagulls and various other dodgy stuff in my CD collection...and I fucking love it!

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Jason - What's wrong with your friends? Even my friends (rowdy punks/thrashers) love Talking Heads!

JP - I've always loved 'One Thing Leads To Another'

Danny - A limey punk band that I love, The Toy Dolls, have covered that but changed it to 'Kids In Tyne And Wear'
    Speaking of Talking Heads.
    A few days ago, there was this little culty film directed by/starring David Byrne on cable.

True Stories (86 ) centers on a small Texas town and its eccentric population. Among the featured players are John Goodman as a lonely guy looking for Love and Swoosie Kurtz as the woman who never gets out of bed.
    Really only for fans of the band whose songs are the soundtrack and for folks who like laidback wierd films.

Wayne Z

"Sitting on - Pins and Needles. Things Fall Apart - It's Scientific. "
    Wild Wild Life.

"From the age of the dinosaurs - cars have run of gasoline.
    Where, where have they gone?
    Now, it's nothing but Flowers. "
    Nothing But Flowers.

England
    to date there is still no UK release of "True Stories" on DVD. I had to import my copy from the US.

It is a very neat movie, and the version of "dream operater" performed by the "Kay Culver" character is worth the price alone.

Ireland
    Jesus...where to start.

David Soul - Silver Lady

Bondage Fairies - He-Man

Desireless - Voyage Voyage

Burzum - Dunkelheit

Or anything by 'The Beautiful South', 'Cardiacs', 'Immortal', 'Napalm Death' or 'Carcass'.

The wife says "How can you go from Suzanne Vega to Napalm Death?"

That's when she her 'Basement Jaxx' CD across the head.

-- -------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Pretty much anything from The Talking Heads. All of my friends despise them.
    Eh... ?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Shootem, I had no idea you were into metal? Carcass is one of my favorite bands. You and I seem to be the same person (we have other things in common), from different parts of the world.

Ireland
    Into loads of things these days Mike. If I like it, I like it. That's the way I see it.

Started listening to metal in my early teens, back in the 80's. I'm old. It was Iron Maiden's fault. I heard Live after Death and then got hooked. Later on then, got into Metalica, Slayer, Kreator etc, until it all started getting mad leading to the likes of Napalm Death and Carcass. Around the mid 90's I tuned out though, as things all started to get a bit stale. Kind of rediscovered it in the 2000's for a short while, when got hold of some of that Norwegian Black Metal stuff. Immortal, Burzum and Darkthrone and that sort of gear.

However, I mainly listen to metal for more nostalgic reasons these days and I tend to only listen to the er..."classics" from the 80's period, like "Symphonies of Sickness" or "Leprosy".

Reliving my youth I spose

What amazes me these days is how the entire stack of vinyl I had years ago can fit onto one MP3 player.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....