Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GameStation are officially finished

capncnut

GameStation are officially finished

I'm sad to inform UK gamers that GameStation are officially over. Now that they have been bought out by GAME, their offers have gone right down the pan.

For instance, all their games (new or pre-owned) are all around £2-5 more expensive. Case in point, today I bought Oblivion: Game Of The Year Edition. In GameStation it was £39.99. In GAME it was £34.99. Stranglehold was £29.99 in Gamestation but £24.99 in GAME. It seems to me that GAME are trying to drown out GameStation by jacking up their prices.

Also in GameStation's '2 for £40' deal (which is a good deal, don't get me wrong), if you decide to buy the game solo it is £24.99 but the exact same title will be in GAME for £19.99.

Coupled with the fact that over 90% of GameStation's don't sell or trade-in retro consoles/peripherals anymore, I'm going to have to mourn the passing of this once great store and do all my shopping in GAME from now on.

R.I.P.
    Last edited by capncnut; 07-Dec-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    this was meant to have happened ages ago though yet in i go today and get forbidden siren ,ffx-2,dragon quest - journey of the cursed king and metal gear solid 3 all for £20, plus there full of retro stuff and theyve still got halo and bioshock legendary's for 50 quid each, plus the one near nottingham has an entire floor dedicated to retro stuff, including samba me amigo as new!

capncnut
    Lucky git. My one stopped stopped retro last month and I was re-directed to GameStation in Croydon, which is miles away.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    though in retrospect, having a GAME literally 30 seconds walk around a corner and 60 feet away might be why they aint changed it.

United Kingdom
    Haven't been into town in a while, I'll have to check next time I do... My GameStation was a very small shop though...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    oh man, theres one in Derby that has multiple floors but each ones like the smallest bedroom in a 3 bedroom semi and its allways full, its like 10 people long and 6 people wide, adn thats without the ailes the one i frequent nto only has bigger deals but in every way puts forbidden planet to shame.

now if only they sold comics.

Super Moderator

UK
    Your one sounds awesome hellsing. Everytime you go in there they're just giving you free sh*t...bastard.

Mine is average size I guess, but it's in Hereford, which with the traffic is like 45 minutes at least to get in...I'll combine it with my next visit for work or whatever.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    my "locals" about 10 miles away, but its across the road from college/uni so its a good place when you need to waste an hour between classes.

ugh, i had to bring back the memory of those 3 hour breaks when none of my freinds had a class, i friggin hated tuesdays last year.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Is GameStation only a UK store? I think we have those here. I know I've seen at least two. Then again.....I'm probably confusing it with something else.

Super Moderator

UK
    Confusing with "GameStop"?

I think "GameStation" is UK only...yeah, we're awesome over here.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its game thats multicontinental, they bought electronics boutique, i know theyve got em in aus as they opened there first GAME kiosk at an airport there.

capncnut
    My local CEX is the only multi-floored game shop in town. They always have the Megadrive, Dreamcast or N64 hooked up to the big screen, which is fun and it has that nice, 'bleepy' eighties vibe. Thing is, the quality of their trade-in stuff is largely appalling.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    My local CEX is the only multi-floored game shop in town. They always have the Megadrive, Dreamcast or N64 hooked up to the big screen, which is fun and it has that nice, 'bleepy' eighties vibe. Thing is, the quality of their trade-in stuff is largely appalling.
    Ah mate, a few months back I dug out my Mega Drive to have an old school gaming sesh - I popped in Sonic 3 and did the cheat so I could select the music tracks to listen to from the level select menu - oh my god I almost came in my pants - BACK IN THE DAY FLASH BACK!!!

The Sonic 3 OST is superb...the closing credits theme is f*cking fantastic...god I wish I could download those tracks or something.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    no ironic humour intended on this but google really is your freind for that one.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    no ironic humour intended on this but google really is your freind for that one.
    And derrrp, I tried that months back and found bugger all.