Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista...need feedback

Super Moderator

UK

Windows Vista...need feedback

How do chaps,

My folks have finally gotten around to admitting they need a new computer (the current one they're using has done a hearty 7 years of service, but it's not cutting the mustard anymore - so come January Sales it'll be going off to one of those charities that take old rigs and give them to the 3rd world or whatnot).

Anyway, this means - new computer time.

What it needs to do:

Word documents, printing.
    Image editing.
    Web surfing.
    Downloading (heavy downloading even)

So what I need to know is:

1) Is there a site where I can check compatibility issues, in terms of software and hardware (our printer).

2) What is Vista like for what we'd be wanting to do (as listed above), what level of tech does Vista require?

3) Is Vista stable and safe for what the computer would be used for?

Cheers folks, help would be much appreciated.

England
    I reckon vista would be ok for what they will be using it for,ive had no problems with standard net browsing,word docs etc,the only real stumbling blocks ive come across is instability with games,but even that is getting a lot better as i keep getting all the latest updates.It does require a decent system though,mines fine with it but obviously your folks aint gonna spend what i did on this thing.It really needs a dual core processor & a gig or more of ram to keep it sweet,and a fairly big & fast hard drive wouldnt go amiss

Super Moderator

UK
    Nice to know, thanks.

Aye Dual Core would be the standard way to go, and aye, no less than 1gig of RAM (preferably 2, personally ).

160 gig hard-drive would be good, we wouldn't be keeping large amounts of data on it anyway, so that would be absolutely plenty.

Any techno-babble I should know regarding hard-drives and what to look for in the jargon?

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Nice to know, thanks.

Aye Dual Core would be the standard way to go, and aye, no less than 1gig of RAM (preferably 2, personally ).

160 gig hard-drive would be good, we wouldn't be keeping large amounts of data on it anyway, so that would be absolutely plenty.

Any techno-babble I should know regarding hard-drives and what to look for in the jargon?
    Most techies are recommending two gigs of ram for vista.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    id stick with xp myself, at least for now, vista may look flashier but xp's had about 4 or 5 years now to work out the faults, something vistas really not done yet.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    um......dont give vista to ANYONE. i wouldnt take that thing if it was free

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I'm running this thing on 2gig of ram, an Intel Pentium dual-core and Windows Vista Home Premium and I've got to admit, I've never ran across any problems yet...

my advice would be to give it a shot....

either that or just reinstall xp

United States

Pista offa...

Yes, Vista is poo.It should run fine though with the apps you mention MZ.
    The standard answer from Microsnot is , "How to remove a program from Vista."
    They blame your software, not their perfect sh!t Pista.
    Sorry, I dislike Vista.
    Having a camera, a Cannon Sure Shot 520, its not compatible with pista.
    So when I make a video , I download from my wifes Dell 2400, to a disc , then have to import the data to my Alienware Aurora.I have downloaded from Cannon, several times, the compaitble version of software for the camera, and it still doesnt see the camera.UGH!
    If your parents are camera people, then make sure they get the camera after the desktop thats going to work.
    Good luck to you and yours, MZ!
    Last edited by DVW5150; 04-Dec-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: UGH!
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United Kingdom
    stick with xp, give vista a couple years of running before going for it. Its a bit like xp when it came out crap for the majority good for the few.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Its crap, buy a mac instead or use Linux :P

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Its crap, buy a mac instead or use Linux :P

buy a mac? theres a reson they dont do well with messengers and internet surfing. i sued em for a few years in college. GREAT for designing and doing CAD work though.
    Last edited by acealive1; 04-Dec-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    buy a mac? theres a reson they dont do well with messengers and internet surfing
    Huh? Macs don't? I am using AIM via Ichat right now, and Net surfing is good when you don't have to worry about spyware, and key loggers.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    What it needs to do:

Word documents, printing.
    Image editing.
    Web surfing.
    Downloading (heavy downloading even)
    I wish that's all I needed out of a computer (damn flight sims and Chess ). But if that were my MO for computer usage I probably would give Ubuntu a whirl. Break those chains of slavery to MS.

United States
    Don't let them get Vista.

Let me put it in a simple way. Vista OEM is going for $79.99 at a store near me, they do not require you to actually be buidling a computer to buy the OEM for vista. XP OEM version is going for $99 and you are required to buy components to buy this at the price, otherwise it is around $150. The girl at the computer store told me that they can not sell Vista to people who are computer savy, nobody wants it and not to buy it because it is garbage (I wasn't going to buy it, I was just joking about it to a friend when she approached us). If a person who is paid on commission tells you not to buy something you know it is bad.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJonas190 View Post
    Don't let them get Vista.

Let me put it in a simple way. Vista OEM is going for $79.99 at a store near me, they do not require you to actually be buidling a computer to buy the OEM for vista. XP OEM version is going for $99 and you are required to buy components to buy this at the price, otherwise it is around $150. The girl at the computer store told me that they can not sell Vista to people who are computer savy, nobody wants it and not to buy it because it is garbage (I wasn't going to buy it, I was just joking about it to a friend when she approached us). If a person who is paid on commission tells you not to buy something you know it is bad.
    is said girl at the computer store hot?