View Poll Results: What do you think of the importance of money in LOTD?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problem with it, It was justified.

9 34.62%
  • I don't buy it, not believable.

16 61.54%
  • Didn't even notice it.

1 3.85%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What is the deal with the money.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    First of all, where are you gonna come across rubies and pearls and diamonds ever so easily, in a world infested with the dead. Even if you did, you won't have enough to establish an economy.

Also, the average punter, even the higher rollers, still just deal with cash - so they understand it.

Next thing someone will suggest frickin' doubloons for the FG economy.
    I don't know what it is like where you live but where I live there are like 6-12 Target stores, 6-12 Walmart stores, and Like 4 Kmarts and all three of those stores have jewelry departments, also there like two malls and they have atleast 4-5 jewelry stores inside of them plus the anchor department stores that have jewelry departments inside, and there like 3 standalone jewelry stores outside each of those malls and there like 6-12 grocery stores nearby the malls and atleast one store that sells guns very close to each mall, and all of those places that I mentioned are within maybe 10-20 miles of each other at most and that is being generous with the distances. That is only counting the little suburb that I live in. There are at least three more large indoor malls including The Mall of America. And there are several other cities that have Targets, Walmarts, Kmarts, grocery stores, strip malls, gun stores, and stand alone jewelry stores all close together. In all fairness I should also say that each of those malls has at least 4 banks outside. What I am trying to say is that it is POSSIBLE for people to use gold, silver, and precious gems as currency in SOME SITUATIONS NOT ALL BUT SOME SITUATIONS. I still think though that if we ever have to deal with zombies in real life we will most likely not think to go after money or jewels or have time to go after them while we are out scavenging for essentials so people will most likely go back to a bartering system. And believe it or not I ACTUALLY LIKE LAND.
    Where are you going to be and what are you going to do when the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse comes to be?

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, my initial impression of you was that you were a Land Hater, but meh, evidently not.

Anyway, as for all those stores - it's been three years - those will have all been raided long ago by biker gangs and such, like in Dawn, where they all go after the easily accessed cash in the banks and the jewelry in the fancy stores.

Also, the point in Land is that these people are recreating their old society within a walled-off community, in real normal life people don't trade and barter with their Mr. T bling.

My point being, is that cash money is simple to understand and had such a high frequency of use in the pre-zombie world, which made it second nature. Now, in post-zombie world - where these survivors are trying to return to their old lives (the point being that it's futile, but is "ignoring the problem", which GAR always intended to use in Land), they go back to their second nature economy of cash money.

Perhaps in the slums those guys would be more likely to barter and trade goods & services, as well as using cash, but certainly within the Green itself it appears to be an entirely cash-money economy. Inside the Green it's identical to pre-zombie life (aside from the odd give-aways, like the glitches in the promo video), ergo - walk into a store, plonk down some green and walk out with your consumer products.

On the streets in the slums it'd be at most a mix of cash and trade/favours/bartering, but again the same mentality of understanding the default economy of cash-money would be the most prominent.

There was certainly no hint of bling-bling trade-offs even in the slums, it all came down to old fashioned US dollery-doo's, such as in the gambling scene when Slack is introduced.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    lol, my initial impression of you was that you were a Land Hater, but meh, evidently not.

Anyway, as for all those stores - it's been three years - those will have all been raided long ago by biker gangs and such, like in Dawn, where they all go after the easily accessed cash in the banks and the jewelry in the fancy stores.

Also, the point in Land is that these people are recreating their old society within a walled-off community, in real normal life people don't trade and barter with their Mr. T bling.

My point being, is that cash money is simple to understand and had such a high frequency of use in the pre-zombie world, which made it second nature. Now, in post-zombie world - where these survivors are trying to return to their old lives (the point being that it's futile, but is "ignoring the problem", which GAR always intended to use in Land), they go back to their second nature economy of cash money.

Perhaps in the slums those guys would be more likely to barter and trade goods & services, as well as using cash, but certainly within the Green itself it appears to be an entirely cash-money economy. Inside the Green it's identical to pre-zombie life (aside from the odd give-aways, like the glitches in the promo video), ergo - walk into a store, plonk down some green and walk out with your consumer products.

On the streets in the slums it'd be at most a mix of cash and trade/favours/bartering, but again the same mentality of understanding the default economy of cash-money would be the most prominent.

There was certainly no hint of bling-bling trade-offs even in the slums, it all came down to old fashioned US dollery-doo's, such as in the gambling scene when Slack is introduced.
    No worries I just figured that since humans have held gold, silver, precious gems there would be some people somewhere that would use them as currency or as something to trade with but I see your point.
    Where are you going to be and what are you going to do when the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse comes to be?

Super Moderator

UK
    As for the gems, perhaps those with them would just retain them as jewelry or bling to show off, make themselves feel better - the whole losing yourself in consumerism thing, to forget the problem on the outside.

I wonder if Kaufman would have an order on the aside like, 'if you find any gems or gold, bring them to me' and then he'd just gather them and use them inside the Green for bribes or whatever, kind of like white collar trading ... with a devious edge.

Undisclosed
    I was alright with it. I think it was more of a statement of how pointless money is in a world like this but at the same time it is being held on a pedistal over humanity.

I think it brings up lots of issues really. Likely when everyone showed up to start with they were treated the same, people huddling together for protection and survival and then as time went on and they secured the city more they formed a pseudo form of government, but the class divide started to occur. Those who are used to the good lifel ikely complained or did not wnat to be with the common folk so they moved away from them and money was the way that 1) the common folks entertain themselves and 2)the rich hold power over the common folk. It has value because the common folks think that it does and since the rich have more of it they are elevated. This would not even change if they started in that building with the divide to start with, money would still have meaning because people think it does.

Its more how people grasp for anything to return to normality. In reality they have no need for money anymore, survival is the main and only goal but as soon as situations are changed things will go back to what they were with prejudices, obsession with money and class divides making a class of people see themselves as being above other people. I mean to the point that the people in Fiddler's Green seemed to ignore the fact that this was even going on anymore, the woman who did not seem to understand that her husbad would come back and try and eat them all even though she had likely seen it in the past.

I think the money idea was a good one to have in the movie. Its sort of like in the original Dawn when Peter and Stephen were at the bank taking the money and later gabling with it. Money is worthless now but it has value because they think it does.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I don't understand the money issue. I mean, I guess it can only be used in enclosed communities like the area with civilians. But why wait for that asshole to give it to you? I'm sure one could just go to a bank and take everything. Or just get gold since everybody wants that and can use it. Paper money? No good.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Scanman22 View Post
    I don't understand the money issue. I mean, I guess it can only be used in enclosed communities like the area with civilians. But why wait for that asshole to give it to you? I'm sure one could just go to a bank and take everything. Or just get gold since everybody wants that and can use it. Paper money? No good.
    *blows head off*

Not this issue again???!!!

Your questions are already answered and explored in the rest of the thread, or other ones on the same issue.

Now if you excuse me, not to be insulting to you mind, as a veteran of these undying issues on this forum, I'm gonna jump ship and unsubscribe from this thread.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    I was alright with it. I think it was more of a statement of how pointless money is in a world like this but at the same time it is being held on a pedistal over humanity.

I think it brings up lots of issues really. Likely when everyone showed up to start with they were treated the same, people huddling together for protection and survival and then as time went on and they secured the city more they formed a pseudo form of government, but the class divide started to occur. Those who are used to the good lifel ikely complained or did not wnat to be with the common folk so they moved away from them and money was the way that 1) the common folks entertain themselves and 2)the rich hold power over the common folk. It has value because the common folks think that it does and since the rich have more of it they are elevated. This would not even change if they started in that building with the divide to start with, money would still have meaning because people think it does.

Its more how people grasp for anything to return to normality. In reality they have no need for money anymore, survival is the main and only goal but as soon as situations are changed things will go back to what they were with prejudices, obsession with money and class divides making a class of people see themselves as being above other people. I mean to the point that the people in Fiddler's Green seemed to ignore the fact that this was even going on anymore, the woman who did not seem to understand that her husbad would come back and try and eat them all even though she had likely seen it in the past.

I think the money idea was a good one to have in the movie. Its sort of like in the original Dawn when Peter and Stephen were at the bank taking the money and later gabling with it. Money is worthless now but it has value because they think it does.
    hahaha in the real world in the inner city people would be stealing TV's and the like. Hurricanes, blackouts, zombies infestations are all fantastic times to get the whole family together for some good old looting.

United States

My thread lives again!!! Mwah Ha Ha Haaaaa!!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    first off this thread needs to be put out of its misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    hahaha in the real world in the inner city people would be stealing TV's and the like. Hurricanes, blackouts, zombies infestations are all fantastic times to get the whole family together for some good old looting.
    second:

First spot we hit it was my liqour store.
    I finally got all that alcohol I can't afford.
    With red lights flashin' time to retire,
    And then we turned that liquor store into a structure fire.

Next stop we hit it was the music shop,
    It only took one brick to make that window drop.
    Finally we got our own p.a.
    Where do you think I got this guitar that you're hearing today?

When we returned to the pad to unload everything,
    It dawned on me that I need new home furnishings.
    So once again we filled the van until it was full,
    since that day my livin' room's been much more comfortable.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."