Thread: So I had this idea...

United States

So I had this idea...

I just got into the TV series Lost (check out the avatar and you'll understand why) and it turned out that I loved the series. An idea began to form in my fuzzy little noggin...

What if, hypothetically, someone were to combine the premise of the show Lost with something like... oh, I don't know, the living dead series of movies? Would that be good or would it suck?

So I got to work writing it. I decided that I would do it in episodic format and have seasons of 16 episodes each, and post them on the net. I didn't think people would like them, but it turns out I have a cult following now, based on this stuff... which surprised me, because it's basically cannibalizing two genres I enjoy, mashing them together, and stirring them up until something pretty cool pops to the surface.

Right now I'm sitting on the whole first season, 16 episodes roughly 10 pages each, with a 20 page edition for the "season finale." I used my own characters for the most part (I had to put "Sawyer" in, because he's the man; at least I changed his name), but I borrowed a few from a buddy of mine.

So here's the question (mainly for Neil, but the rest of you can chime in as well): What's the best way to do this? The full 1st season would be around 160 pages, give or take, so I'd like to drop around 1 episode a week. That can change depending on what you guys think, though. So let me know. Also if you don't like the idea and hate it and me for bringing it up, feel free to send me hate mail or stuff; just not viruses... I just got another one because of a virus on my last computer.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

England
    Only one way to find out bud...put your first instalment up on the fic section and see what sort of rating it gets.

I personally do not like the "LOST/zombie" idea, but then again, I don't have the balls to commit my own ideas to the greater public, so I always respect those who do (regardless of if I liked their work or not). And I won't really know if I like it until I've read an episode or two.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    I say go for it Arc. I've always liked your stuff.

But personally, if the episodes are over 100 pages a piece, I don't think it's very realistic to put one up every week. Maybe you should try cutting them up in 20-30 page installments, like episode 1 (part 1-ect.)

United States
    The seasons are about 100 pages each; each episode breaks down into around 10 pages, give or take with 16 episodes per season.

United States
    It sounds interesting. Is it up yet?
    A penny for the old guy.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I'd love to read it. What's your name on the fiction site so I can read some of your other contributions?
    “Writing is easy. Just put a sheet of paper in the typewriter and start bleeding.”
    – Thomas Wolfe

United States
    Same screen name there, but the contributions are under the name Jan Corbett.

I sent the 1st part off to Neil yesterday, so it should be up soon.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Aha! The SEAT series. Very nice. One of my favorites.
    “Writing is easy. Just put a sheet of paper in the typewriter and start bleeding.”
    – Thomas Wolfe

Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    Aha! The SEAT series. Very nice. One of my favorites.
    Don't compliment him too much, his head might just explode.

Good to see you're still around Arc, still writing A LOT, I see!

United States
    Paul, ya bum, how you been? Yeah, I've been writing almost nonstop for a while now. I started this thing on the Monday before Thanksgiving and I've been going along that way ever since.

Relic, glad to hear you liked it. I used some of the characters from SEAT in this, but they're different people, for the most part. So far people are digging it, so we'll see what you all have to say about this.

United States
    And the first installment is up. Hope you guys and girls enjoy it.