View Poll Results: Will it become a classic?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 40.00%
  • No

21 60.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Land will.....

United States
    "Wahhhh Land is awesome and I don't want to hear any negative comments about it!!! Booo hoo." Come on man. Quit with the premptive "assuming you know why people dont like the movie" crap.

I did vote no. But mainly it's because of the sheer numbers of movies that are coming out now. Night, when it was released, was the first movie of its kind. It spawned not only hundreds of homages, but a new type of horror movie. Dawn was the best movie of it's kind, Not a lot of competition and it refined the zombie genre. Cemented it. Now Day, I like Day a lot, and I think it deserves to be in the trilogy, but I don't consider it a classic. At the time it came out, the genre was established, and It had a lot of competition. Return of the Living Dead trounced it at the box office. I love Day because it was the Dead movie i most identify with being a child of the 80's, and it IS a GAR zombie movie. But to me, it didn't stand out from the pack enough to be a classic.

Land suffers all of the same problems that Day did to a much greater extent. It will never be a classic to me, and I doubt it will ever be generally considered a classic because it never stood out. It doesn't shine like those first two movies with any originality, and unlike Day, it sucks!!

Sorry couldn't resist
    Last edited by clanglee; 03-Jan-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Come on Mr. Minion Zombie don't give up just yet!
    Ah but you joined in October 2007, I've been having this area of back-and-forth on 'ere since the film was released.

I think I'm tuckered out completely.

United States
    Ahhh, but then again. . you never know. Plan 9 from OuterSpace is considered a classic by many people.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I believe it's recogized as a classic because it's universally recognized as arguably the worst film ever. Although, NOTLD 3D is giving it a run for its money. There's even a sienfeld episode, the one where they go to the chinese restaraunt, where they plan to see plan 9 and it is acknowledged as absolutely hideous and is therefore not to be missed.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    My point exactly!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    My point exactly!!
    Harday har har. I see your point but i don't think land is anywhere near the putrid film that plan 9 and NOTLD 3D are. I think a film has too be that bad in order to be revered as a classic.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I know man. It's not that bad. Just poking fun.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think I'm tuckered out completely.
    To think I looked up to you!

United States
    Night and Dawn were considered great movies when they came out and have spent decades recognized among the greatest horror movies of all time. I do not see how Land deserves a 20 year grace period before it is judged against that standard. Mainstream horror has already relegated it to the heap. It's chance to be influential is past. It will never secure a spot among the greatest horror movies of all time. In every way it has no chance of achieving the heights that Night and Dawn achieved. Asking for 20 years to let time tell is just stalling.

That said, Land may become a cult classic among GAR faithful. It may take a place alongside Day. But becoming a cult classic isn't enough to be considered a horror classic and as much as I love Day it is not a horror classic. No one in mainstream horror cares about Day just as no one cares about or will care about Land. They're both going to end up footnotes to the successes of their predecessors.

I also feel like the negative sentiment among GAR Dead fans is much worse against Land than it ever was against Day. And it didn't take Day any 20 years to become a cult classic among GAR fans.
    Last edited by Trin; 04-Jan-2008 at 06:31 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    To think I looked up to you!
    Bah, you young scamps can keep playing fruitlessly at the Land argument game...but I'm a veteran of it, I'll hobble off to a park bench nearby to keep an eye on ya damn kids so you stay off my damn lawn!

United States
    No, I'm pretty sure that if I think a movie sucks now, I'm going to think it sucks later.

And I sure as hell don't consider Day a "classic", in the first place. Romero should have stopped at two.

England
    Seriously SRP? I like Day, not as good as Dawn (IMO), but still a great movie.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Seriously SRP? I like Day, not as good as Dawn (IMO), but still a great movie.
    I agree yeah so it wasn't the first and not the best zed film, but oh well you can at least give it credit for having the best gore effects and zombie make-up in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Bah, you young scamps can keep playing fruitlessly at the Land argument game...but I'm a veteran of it, I'll hobble off to a park bench nearby to keep an eye on ya damn kids so you stay off my damn lawn!
    Don't worry Mr. MZ you will always be the second best member on this board in my eyes!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How could someone not like Day even if just for Bub? Bub is da man.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    How could someone not like Day even if just for Bub? Bub is da man.
    Bub's a large part of the reason why I don't like it. Not so much the fault of Bub himself, but the whole concept of Bub.

I am a lot like Rhodes: "you want to teach 'em tricks?!"

At that point, the whole thing took a left turn into the oooooooo-EEEEEEEE-oooooo Realm.

That isn't the only reason, but it is a major one.