Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: dawn of the dead.....

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    It's called bitterness...some people will never get over the "name rape." Others of us saw the film as a homage and for its face-value...a good action/horror flick with perhaps the best intro in horror history.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    stupid token goth,
    What? Where? Who?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Why do people have a problem with them leaving the mall in the first place?

In every discussion about the original, all I see is "the mall was just a fool's paradise", "the mall was more a prison than a salvation", and blah-blah-blah. The characters are ridiculed for taking refuge in the mall.
    It's called having a point to the story. In the original, the mall was a "fool's paradise" only because that's what the characters turned it into, including Fran who had warned the others of missing this exact point. Nobody "ridicules" the characters for taking refuge in the mall, but it is what leads to their eventual downfall (and death for Roger and Stephen).

In DAWN '04, what was the point of using the mall setting? There was no point. The location was secure before the main characters even arrived, so it added nothing to the "action" aspect of the film. It could have easily been a Wally World, a bowling alley, or a VFW hall. (Actually, it would have been a huge improvement and quite a commentary on modern society had the movie taken place in Wal-Mart, but fat chance of that ever happening.)

I'd hardly give the remake's characters credit for wanting to abandon the mall because they understood it to be a shallow temple of consumerism. More likely, they had extremely short attention spans and were quickly bored by their environment. Perhaps the filmmakers of DAWN '04 were making a larger statement by demonstrating that most audiences are gullible enough to swallow anything, but you won't catch me giving them credit for being that clever.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I don't recall a token Goth. And when did goth become token?
    Sorry i was being ironic with the goth statement -still they were going to have a goth chick in it originally!!

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I don't recall a token Goth. And when did goth become token?
    oh and all goths are token....sorry.....its token "I don't want to fit in so I'm going to dress in black like all the other people who don't want to fit in"

(by the way Im a metal head.....lol)

Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Why do people have a problem with them leaving the mall in the first place?

In every discussion about the original, all I see is "the mall was just a fool's paradise", "the mall was more a prison than a salvation", and blah-blah-blah. The characters are ridiculed for taking refuge in the mall.

Yet, in the remake, people complain that the characters don't sit in the mall forever. W...T....F.....
    I think its because the mall was a set piece and never a factor in the plot. The mall never seduced them, never gave out any message other than "there's food and water here"....the mall to these characters never implied a danger to either their morality, or sense of humanity....they enjoyed the mall's offerings right til the very end and we didn't see one change in their character because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    It's called bitterness...some people will never get over the "name rape." Others of us saw the film as a homage and for its face-value...a good action/horror flick with perhaps the best intro in horror history.
    No its definitely not bitterness for me...you're right about the name r@pe...definitely a good point as I said earlier, should've been called 29 days later: american outbreak - still the movie WAS EXTREMELY corny, had 2 dimensional characters, a lack of subtext...****, a lack of ANY text...the action sequences may have been good, but the action sequences in 2 fast 2 furious are probably quite good yet you don't really hear anyone touting it for being a good movie.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 12-Jan-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

England
    I think that being surrounded by thousands of zombies when you only have half a dozen bullets between you may just prompt one to stock up on ammo and then up-sticks and find a little island somewhere.

Just my opinion.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I think that being surrounded by thousands of zombies when you only have half a dozen bullets between you may just prompt one to stock up on ammo and then up-sticks and find a little island somewhere.

Just my opinion.
    wouldnt it have made more sense or andy to lob grenades into the parking lot and take out possibly 10 zombies at a time?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    wouldnt it have made more sense or andy to lob grenades into the parking lot and take out possibly 10 zombies at a time?
    Unless they're scenes in the dvd that weren't in theaters i want to say did he even had any?

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Unless they're scenes in the dvd that weren't in theaters i want to say did he even had any?

im gonna venture and say he had grenades

England
    There are no grenades in the Dir Cut, nor does he mention them in the little special feature that documents his "final days" in his gunshop...

I think he does mention making petrol bombs but the zeds just wander around a bit and don't really burn too well.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Canada
    There are no grenades in the Dir Cut, nor does he mention them in the little special feature that documents his "final days" in his gunshop...

I think he does mention making petrol bombs but the zeds just wander around a bit and don't really burn too well.

you own a surplus store........historically they have grenades. at least in los angeles they do

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    They were too busy sitting around drinking coffee and shooting celebrity lookalikes rather than devising a strategy for when Andy would eventually run out of food. And the main guy communicating with him is a trained police officer.

Apparently the screenwriter is the only person that couldn't foresee the food shortage problem that comes with being holed up in a gun shop.

Btw, I haven't researched this point, but what islands are there in Lake Michigan (islands that wouldn't already have have thousands of people seeking refuge, anyhow)?
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 14-Jan-2008 at 02:33 AM.

England
    DC, I'm in the UK mate, so I don't know about US geography, so there may or may not be islands around....but as the Dock Police guy said in the original Dawn when asked which island they where going to..."any island".

Oh as for andy's food situation, I would have thought that a surplus/gun/survival store would have had some MRE's and stuff?

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Surplus stores DO NOT sell LIVE grenades. That is a military item, illegal for sale on the open market. Stores like that do have dummy grenades, but that's it...even in L.A.
    The people in the mall had no access to ammo in the mall itself. The original Dawn took the liberty of creating a gun store in a mall, something that I doubt has ever happened anyhere. Even with tons of ammo, pistols would do you little good with the running zombies. That movie was full of IMPOSSIBLE, running head shots.
    But this film wasn't supposed to be a "thinking man's movie," and never pretended to be...unlike a certain picture with the initials LOTD, which has just a little brain stimulation.

United States
    Land wasn't made for thinking, either. The more you think during the movie, the more it doesn't make any sense at all.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    Surplus stores DO NOT sell LIVE grenades. That is a military item, illegal for sale on the open market. Stores like that do have dummy grenades, but that's it...even in L.A.
    The people in the mall had no access to ammo in the mall itself. The original Dawn took the liberty of creating a gun store in a mall, something that I doubt has ever happened anyhere. Even with tons of ammo, pistols would do you little good with the running zombies. That movie was full of IMPOSSIBLE, running head shots.
    But this film wasn't supposed to be a "thinking man's movie," and never pretended to be...unlike a certain picture with the initials LOTD, which has just a little brain stimulation.

try western surplus in los angeles. also, in a lill movie called commando he picks up some rocket launchers and remote detonators from a surplus store,so uh........u calling them liars?

maybe it varies state by state,as california allows u to have weed

DC, I'm in the UK mate, so I don't know about US geography, so there may or may not be islands around....but as the Dock Police guy said in the original Dawn when asked which island they where going to..."any island".

Oh as for andy's food situation, I would have thought that a surplus/gun/survival store would have had some MRE's and stuff?

as soon as i saw the dawn remake for the first time, all i thought was "snyder read into that cops comment about 'any island' "

and yes most surplus stores have MRE's, u can take a single case of MRE's (depending on what it is) and eat good for a few weeks if not more than a month
    Last edited by acealive1; 14-Jan-2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost