Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Problems with this site?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Do you guys come to the forum via the main page (homepageofthedead.com) and just click the forum tab, or do you do what I do and just come directly to the forum?

I seem to have less issues when I come straight to the forum (forum.homepageofthedead.com)

However, this is not a good fix, it buggers up a lot doing this as well. I do notice, even from work that the forum takes a very long time to load. In fact in the last hour I have been online 6:30am EST - 7:30am EST, the forum is taking approximately 45-60 seconds to load enough data just to make a reply, the full complete load takes 2+ minutes.

I think the server hosting this site is screwed.

However, using the direct link seems to cut down on the amount of issues.
    I come straight to the forum...

I visit the forum quite regularly - obviously - and must say that recently have not had many problems. Sometimes a request is a bit slow (5-10 seconds), but generally I've not had anything too bad!? Loading a page in more than 20 seconds I very rarely see!?

ps: At this moment in time it's quite nippy. 2-3 seconds for a request.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I come straight to the forum...

I visit the forum quite regularly - obviously - and must say that recently have not had many problems. Sometimes a request is a bit slow (5-10 seconds), but generally I've not had anything too bad!? Loading a page in more than 20 seconds I very rarely see!?

ps: At this moment in time it's quite nippy. 2-3 seconds for a request.

Today has been one of the better days, however, when I hit reply, like I just did to make this topic it took 17 seconds (Yes I timed it) for the page to completely load. I was able to type the reply in about 5, but the full page load took 17 seconds.

The direct forum link is definitely quicker than the tab through the main site.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

England
    Its still being pretty damn bad for me,still getting the half-loaded pages which take a long time to open at all,again this is why ive posted very little recently because its just such hard work & pot luck as to whether il get anywhere or not

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Its still being pretty damn bad for me,still getting the half-loaded pages which take a long time to open at all,again this is why ive posted very little recently because its just such hard work & pot luck as to whether il get anywhere or not
    Yes Trick, it is bollocks. Getting in seems to be the main problem but once I'm in I find that it runs okay, maybe with some slowness but okay nonetheless. Thankfully though it seems to have cleared up the last couple of days but I've decided that next time it happens I'm gonna take a bunch of screen grabs and put 'em here. Some of the main site crashes I've had are nothing short of psychedelic!

Super Moderator

UK
    With me, it's either trouble getting on - just had that, was having "database error" and had to refresh several times to get it kicking off properly - or other times I get on fine and surf around the forum for a bit, then it all grinds to a halt when I've still got a bunch of juicy new posts to sink myself into...ooh-err.

But such things are generally rare for me...or at least infrequent.

capncnut
    Spoke too soon. Just got booted out for a good ten minutes and it was impossible to get back on. There's gremlins in the works here.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    need a new server Neil.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Out of interest, next time you find the forum running slowly, or have problems... Try the main site.

What I'm interested to find out is if the news on the main page loads quickly or slowly as that's being pulled out of the same database by basically the same method.

I'm trying to see if it's the database that's slow or something else the forum is doing ontop of access it.

What's odd is I've been find access recently pretty reliable with the only problem it being a but slow to show pages sometimes (eg: 5-10 seconds instead of 2-5)...

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Spoke too soon. Just got booted out for a good ten minutes and it was impossible to get back on. There's gremlins in the works here.
    What message were you getting for those 10 mins?

To Tricky And Capncnut

What I find odd is you two seem to consistantly suffer from issues unnoticed by me and most others...

What browser are you using out of interest? Are you able to try a different one when having problem's? eg: If you're using Internet Explorer download FireFox and try that next time you get problems?
    Last edited by Neil; 07-Mar-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    What message were you getting for those 10 mins?
    Just a crashed main page. Log out, log back in and it half loads, sometimes a white screen, it differs. Hit the forum and it just stays on the welcome page, frozen, unable to do anything but close it down. Ten minutes later. Sweet.

What browser are you using out of interest? Are you able to try a different one when having problem's? eg: If you're using Internet Explorer download FireFox and try that next time you get problems?
    Used Firefox for a spell and I had the same problems. Also, it didn't really go well with my PC. Currently I'm using Internet Explorer.

I'm 100% certain it isn't my pc or browser because one night I was chatting to Scip on msn and he was talking about the same problems at that very moment. I attempted to log in myself there and then and yes, I couldn't get in. Crashed main page just as he was describing to me.

Minion, Trick, DJ, Hellsing, Scipio... I could name on four hands who's had similar issues at some point just by checking in the problem threads.

There's definitely gremlins in the works...

Administrator

England
    Just a crashed main page. Log out, log back in and it half loads, sometimes a white screen, it differs. Hit the forum and it just stays on the welcome page, frozen, unable to do anything but close it down. Ten minutes later. Sweet.

Used Firefox for a spell and I had the same problems. Also, it didn't really go well with my PC. Currently I'm using Internet Explorer.

I'm 100% certain it isn't my pc or browser because one night I was chatting to Scip on msn and he was talking about the same problems at that very moment. I attempted to log in myself there and then and yes, I couldn't get in. Crashed main page just as he was describing to me.

Minion, Trick, DJ, Hellsing, Scipio... I could name on four hands who's had similar issues at some point just by checking in the problem threads.

There's definitely gremlins in the works...
    I've never seen the problem you've described (half loading pages & crashes) on 3 different machines x 2 different browsers
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I've never seen the problem you've described (half loading pages & crashes) on 3 different machines x 2 different browsers
    I could say the same thing. I've experienced the above on 2 machines and 2 different browsers. I understand that it works for a lot of folks but it's clearly obvious it ain't working for others. I really don't know what the error is.

Administrator

England
    I could say the same thing. I've experienced the above on 2 machines and 2 different browsers. I understand that it works for a lot of folks but it's clearly obvious it ain't working for others. I really don't know what the error is.
    I think I need to see a screen shot... if that's possible next time...
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I think I need to see a screen shot... if that's possible next time...
    I had three grabs on my pc until last week.

<kicks self>

But yeah, no worries. Next time it happens, consider it done. Make sure you put on your sunglasses on when I post 'em though.

Super Moderator

UK
    F*cking nora the site has been running slow-arse for me the past few days - forum I mean. Right now, just after 10pm, it's been dragging it's arse all over the carpet like a dog with an itchy brown.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    F*cking nora the site has been running slow-arse for me the past few days - forum I mean. Right now, just after 10pm, it's been dragging it's arse all over the carpet like a dog with an itchy brown.
    What's your definition of slow? It has been a touch slow at times for me sometimes... But as I type this, requests are generally coming up in a couple of seconds...
    -Carl Sagan