Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Problems with this site?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Capn - I understand the nuisance of not being able to get on, but these things do take time, especially for someone who's got a Mrs and a couple of tots running around. At least ask nicely, cos Neil does put a lot of time and effort and even money into HPOTD, and has done so over many years, eh?
    My aggression comes from the fact the problems of this site have been ongoing for YEARS. I joined in September 06 and the place was like a snail then. With complaints regarding the overall performance being posted on a regular basis.

It just seems that 'everything will be resolved soon' and isn't. Yesterday's whole day of not being able to get in was the final straw to man who'd drunk 15 beers. And as for asking nicely, old bean, search through this very thread and see how many times I've asked nicely.

Edit: Oh, and for reference. http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...referrerid=716
    Last edited by capncnut; 20-Jul-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    My aggression comes from the fact the problems of this site have been ongoing for YEARS. I joined in September 06 and the place was like a snail then. With complaints regarding the overall performance being posted on a regular basis.

It just seems that 'everything will be resolved soon' and isn't. Yesterday's whole day of not being able to get in was the final straw to man who'd drunk 15 beers. And as for asking nicely, old bean, search through this very thread and see how many times I've asked nicely.

Edit: Oh, and for reference. http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...referrerid=716
    Well, the problem we're encountering here is a 'new' one... It's more 'standard website' based than anything to do with the forum.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ive set this as my homepage lately and eveyr time it loads this week it says theres a server error and i need to reload it like 3 or 4 times.

Super Moderator

UK
    Very odd too that some people are free and easy to browse problem free, and some can't.

The selective nature of the problem is really confusing, at least to me anyway. :confusing:

The forum and site is running fine for me right now, and has been for weeks...very confusing.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Very odd too that some people are free and easy to browse problem free, and some can't.

The selective nature of the problem is really confusing, at least to me anyway. :confusing:

The forum and site is running fine for me right now, and has been for weeks...very confusing.
    Last week, HPotD was running so quick that it actually seemed ominous, like it was too good to be true. Everytime I clicked a reply, bang, it was there.

But it was too good to be true because performance is bad for me right now. It has taken me untold attempts to get in over the last hour but I'm sober so I'm not as aggressive as I was last night.

Today some funny things happened. When I was given the index url by a friend, I had the 'Page not found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable' message flash up three times before I actually got in. Also as I type in this message now I am having to enter smileys and tags by hand as none of the links in the message area are working. It really is baffling...

...and annoying!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Last week, HPotD was running so quick that it actually seemed ominous, like it was too good to be true. Everytime I clicked a reply, bang, it was there.

But it was too good to be true because performance is bad for me right now. It has taken me untold attempts to get in over the last hour but I'm sober so I'm not as aggressive as I was last night.

Today some funny things happened. When I was given the index url by a friend, I had the 'Page not found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable' message flash up three times before I actually got in. Also as I type in this message now I am having to enter smileys and tags by hand as none of the links in the message area are working. It really is baffling...

...and annoying!
    I'm glad you concur recent performance has been getting better...

The current problem is the opposite of the usual one. The forum and database are running well, just all web requests (eg: for HTML pages and image etc) are having problems. If the forum has any problems it'll be because of images and style sheets etc...

It'll get sorted, so if you find you're having problems, go watch a movie, have a bear, and try again tomorrow

ps: At this precise moment, even though the rest of HPotD is terrible, this forum seems pretty good But I suspect until the main problem is sorted, forum performance will be up and down like a whore's drawers!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Perhaps the smileys not clicking in from the menu is down to a page not fully loading, it's like how the drop down forum select thing at the bottom of the page only works if the page is fully loaded.

Anyway, no sooner had I mentioned my smooth performance, I've just had a couple of slow-poke-patches...I think I'm jinxed.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    But I suspect until the main problem is sorted, forum performance will be up and down like a whore's drawers!

Now that one made me spit out my OJ!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This weekend was awful. In between breaks in editing I was trying to hop on and stir up some trouble and kept getting the errors... today it seems like it has been fixed.

However, it is annoying when you can't get on here. This place is like a heroin addiction. Even though I have cut back in my habit, I still need a jolt every once and a while.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

England
    Its been a nightmare for me as well this weekend!what happens is i open the main site,click forums on the tool bar at the top,then i click "homepage of the dead forums" on the next page, the loading bar at the bottom of my screen gets halfway across then sticks for a minute or so before it jumps to the "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" screen! no amount of hitting refresh or whatever will make it work either!