Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with this site?

England

Problems with this site?

Its been really bad for me the last week,im struggling to get on here at all!any ideas why?most of the time it just hangs on a blank page or i get the "this page cannot be displayed" message!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The exact same thing happens to me and I know that it's not on my end because every other site works just fine. The HPotD Forums don't work for me nine times out of ten. And if they do work, it takes about 3-5 minutes for a page to load.

England
    It went as far as crashing my PC last night,it had hung while loading a page for ages,i couldnt click any other links or minimise it,then after 10 minutes i had to push my reset button as even control-alt-delete couldnt bring it out of it!
    As with you bassman ive got no problems with any of my other internet activities so its just the ol' homepage having problems,and it has been for a while!

Administrator

England
    I had a problem earlier on today, but apart from that it's been fine when ever I've tried?

Guys... When you get a problem, do me favour:-
    - make a note of the time you first have it, and then when you finally get on
    - what sort of problem/error you get
    - and while you're getting the problem just try the main Bits and Pieces page for example www.homepageofthedead.com/baps and see if that loads (if the forum is not)

Post that info here please (state what time zone you're in, or use GMT)...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Thanks for looking into it neil,as it happens ive had a problem replying to this very thread! (22:33) its taken almost ten minutes for the page to open to let me reply,& even now it hasnt loaded the smilies up on the side,just a load of boxes with red crosses in them

Northern Ireland
    I've also had problems, like Tricky the loading seems to hang and more often than not I have to give up on it. When the loading time does hang and when it does finally load it hasn't processed the site properly--the tabs or pictures (the stars under the names are red x's for example) haven't loaded.

Last time it happened was yesterday morning, maybe 10am~ GMT, when I should have been working, but keep that quiet!

Super Moderator

UK
    Yesterday I had a few problems - slow loading and some items not loading at all - that was at no specific time, just "yesterday" all day mostly.

But prior to that I've been fine for quite a while, but sometimes yeah I'll get really slow loading pages - my main problem if I ever have one here - and sometimes I won't be able to post cos it'll take ages or won't process through properly. But it's far from all the time...but it has happened a number of times.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post
    I've also had problems, like Tricky the loading seems to hang and more often than not I have to give up on it. When the loading time does hang and when it does finally load it hasn't processed the site properly--the tabs or pictures (the stars under the names are red x's for example) haven't loaded.

Last time it happened was yesterday morning, maybe 10am~ GMT, when I should have been working, but keep that quiet!
    Yes I was having problems yest morning around that time to for 5 or so mins...

Again, if you get problems. please do as per my instructions above...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Well ive finally got on now!hopefully this will post as well!i couldnt get on at all last night,everytime i tried to get on the site i just got the bar with tabs on at the top (main,films,bits & pieces,fiction,art etc) & the main screen was the usual "this page cannot be displayed" message,and at one point it hung for ages,then vista gave me a pop-up saying "internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close down"
    Its just taken me 5 attempts to get on here at 18:00 (11/01/08) and even now the page is only half loaded.As ive said ive got no problems with any of my other internet activities,including other forums i use,so the problem would definitely appear to be here!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    every few seconds im getting "page cannot be displayed" and for 4 hours today it couldnt find the site, or the forum.

United States
    I get nothing in Firefox but the site came up fine in Explorer.
    A penny for the old guy.

Super Moderator

UK
    All of HPOTD was down for me earlier this afternoon.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    All of HPOTD was down for me earlier this afternoon.
    Yes, the entire server was screwed for a few hours
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    It's weird, at a time when everybody is encountering f**k up's, I'm actually have no trouble at all. I do get the occasional error sceen but a refresh always sorts it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    It's weird, at a time when everybody is encountering f**k up's, I'm actually have no trouble at all. I do get the occasional error sceen but a refresh always sorts it.
    I know, people say at times "it's ALWAYS like this"...which confuses me, as errors and bugger ups are generally quite rare for me.

Forum's running fine and dandy right now.