Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Northern Ireland
    Slick Willy speaks the truth.

If it weren't for my years of football (soocer to yanks) kickboxing would have killed me. My fitness definitely helped me to improve my kickboxing faster than your average-joe schlub. Just like in every sport, the less you need to worry about fitness, the more you can concentrate on technique and actually getting better at the game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'm with kortick on this. might as well take up smoking and drinking lots of alcohol. everyone will die so might as well enjoy it.

just do enough to keep yourself from getting fat and repugnant.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Northern Ireland
    Well, I disagree with both of you! Not only do I want to be fighting fit for as long as I can, I may also want to compete (in sports in general) in the future so... And, it isn't as if I'm slacking in experiencing life either. If anything, I think I'm enhancing it. I enjoy a beer, I enjoy eating out, I enjoy clubbing, but I also enjoy feeling and looking my best... I don't remember the last time I was sick, for example. Plus, I guess it helps that enjoys putting myself through the pains of training.

L'Oreal, because I'm worth it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    you're just too sexy for this forum i guess...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Northern Ireland
    Not too sexy for this forum, Scip. Just too sexy for you!

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    My Neurologist would like me toget into Yoga and Ti Chai(sp), supposed to be good for the nerves and muscles if that helps ya any?
    Yogas also great for flexibility, breath Control and mental focus (great to control pain and emotion)

Tai chi Is great for flexibility, energy levels and mental focus

Canada
    so people, i finally got myself a gym membership, and found i am much weaker then i previusly was.

However, I did something i've never done before- I did pushups with a varying and increasing foot height. Holy **** I loved it! Me and my friend did alot of em, using a step board, and we gradually incraesed the height as we went up. got 6 or so stacked up high before we said screw it (we did triceps that day as well, prior to the push-ups) and then skipping. now that was intense, outta breathe way faster then i ever was whenever i ran.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah going to gyms and that with freinds is a lot better than going on your own i think.

Canada
    oh hell yea! you, at the very least, have someone to spot you. At anouther level you have someone to keep you company, and just shoot the **** with.

Undisclosed
    Try doing handstand pushups. I cannot even do one, yet. Btw, the more you elavate your feet during pushups the more it focuses on your shoulders. I started a new exercise this week. I elavate my feet by place them on a wall at an angle. I building myself up to handstand pushups.

United States
    your'e all crazy

heres a clue:

look at your parents or grandparents

some day that will be you.

now do you want to waste your free time with exercise
    or having fun?
    you see what the end result is. its inevitable.

its like trying to shovel smoke
    with a pitchfork in the wind

ahhh....do as you will

and Mo after all that you go and follow MY advice
    and join a gym and work out on the machines?

well keep us posted
    and remember if you cant afford the fee
    for the gym you can get out of overdue bills
    by claiming you caught herpes from their place.

good luck Mo (oh and dont think that remark about
    rugby in my Pats post went un-noticed you little horror)
    Last edited by kortick; 22-Jan-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Northern Ireland
    So after joining the gym and paying for a membership, you do press-ups for your workout?!

Hit the free weights, Chicken legs... squat, deadlift and bench inparticular.

Canada
    no, i did triceps and back exercises for an hour in the gym (using machines and free weights) then closed with the push up thingy. I think i'm going to do that most days...but alternate between push-ups and sit-ups.

I used to be able to do hand stand push-ups slick, the most ive done at once was 10, and that was before i screwed my arm up, and even after that, i could do em, but had my back against a wall for added support. Yep, the more you elevate your feet, more emphasis on your shoulders. or you can just spread your arms farther apart when doing regular push-ups.

and kortick, you never commented on the the rugby thing, so i assume that you are more of a rugby fan then a football one.

Undisclosed
    now now ladies, play nicely....

Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    no, i did triceps and back exercises for an hour in the gym (using machines and free weights) then closed with the push up thingy. I think i'm going to do that most days...but alternate between push-ups and sit-ups.

I used to be able to do hand stand push-ups slick, the most ive done at once was 10, and that was before i screwed my arm up, and even after that, i could do em, but had my back against a wall for added support. Yep, the more you elevate your feet, more emphasis on your shoulders. or you can just spread your arms farther apart when doing regular push-ups.
    There's no point in doing hand-stand push-ups, except for the novelty factor. Instead it'd be best to do military press (barbell for raw strength, dumbbells for more emphasis on control/stabilisation and a greater depth of movement).

How'd you screw your arm up? I've been lucky enough to stay injury free, except for mild niggles/twinges.

What's your routine like? I find triceps/back a weird combination... The typical spilt is usually back/biceps, chest/triceps, legs/shoulders.

It's great to warm up with a few push-ups and just as great to cool down with them, good job closing the work-out with them.