Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Canada

Martial arts

so, i've been thinking about getting healthy again, and I've always had a vested interest in martial arts, so I was wondering if anyone here who actively participates or who has at one time, could tell me what they thought of it?

There are two schools in this area, one that teaches karate, and one that teaches kung fu (which cover Hung-gar, Wing Chun, Dopi, Dragon Tiger, Black Tiger forms, and i've always liked the hung-gar form for some reason) tai chi chuan, and chi kung styles, along with meditation practices.

so, I'm looking for eye witness testimony. Also, how was your level of fitness going into the training, and then coming out?

thanks in advance.

Dying

Undisclosed
    I've had two periods in my life where I've been involved with martial arts. First was in my late teens/early 20's when I was involved with karate and judo, then later with hand-to-hand skills in the service (not particularly an 'art', but rather effective). I wouldn't specifically attribute my fitness to the activity at that time as I was involved in many other actions to stay healthy.

The past 3 years I've been exposed to the arts since my little girl is involved in them. The Tae Kwon Do in particular has been beneficial health-wise, but the arnis has many, many more practical self-defense applications.

In your position you should consider comparing both soft and hard styles and decide which you like most. Speeding your reflexes, controlling breathing and such (seemingly) mundane skills as learning to fall correctly will benefit you throughout your life.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Undisclosed
    I am training to be a pro fighter so ask away. The arts I have trained so far: amateur wrestling, northen style kung fu, judo, Brazilian jui jitsu, boxing, and muay thai.

As for my fittness level, right now I am fit, but not in fight shape. Been slacking off, since I am moving to another house tomorrow. When I was in fight shape I would consider my fittness level as advanced, but not as an elite.

United Kingdom
    I have done Tae Kwon do, Thai Kick Boxing, Caporaro. I found the one that most effect my speed, reflexes, muscle, balance general health was caporaro mean while Tae Kwon do most helped balance and breathing and thai kickboxing helped develop power and muscle. Only problem is I have had a few injuries from caporaro whilst never been injured in the rest (cept once in Tae Kwon in a sparring sessions).

United States
    I studied kenpo and muy thai when I was younger and my fitness level was extremely high because I trained with people who with amatuer and semi-pro fighters..... and cause I was kind of nutty about exercising 2-3 times a day.

I just started judo a few months ago and I'm sure its helping fitness wise, although I can't always tell because of the bruises. And since last night was chokes and arm bars, there's parts of my body that are still lacking some feeling. But seriously, my core body strength is improving significantly.
    A penny for the old guy.

Northern Ireland
    If you take part in kickboxing two or three times a week you'll be fit as a fiddle in no time. If you can take a beginners course (usually 6 weeks), you'll be eased into both the fitness aspect and the flexibility aspects. Even if your fitness levels are quite low, you should be okay.

Before kickboxing I was reasonably fit, I've always played football (soccer) and I hit the gym 4-5 times a week.

In kickboxing you need a lot of explosive fitness, short bursts of energy with speedy recovery times, so if I were you I'd go for some HIIT (high intensity interval training)...

Sprint to lamp post (A), jog to lamp post (B), sprint to (C), jog to (D) walk to (E) and then repeat!

Oh and last, but not least... UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE UP KARATE! If you're doing martial arts to get fit, you may as well get some useful info to help defend yourself too and karate will not do the job.

United States
    I suggest you take up cigarettes and beer.

forget this whole fitness nonsense.

your gonna die anyway.

and if you are worried about
    people bothering you, in my experience the same
    people you buy your drugs from can usually
    get you a gun.

like they say,
    "eat healthy, exercise regularly, live wholesome, and die anyway"

I may be going to Hell in a bucket
    but at least Im enjoying the ride.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    I suggest you take up cigarettes and beer.

forget this whole fitness nonsense.

your gonna die anyway.

and if you are worried about
    people bothering you, in my experience the same
    people you buy your drugs from can usually
    get you a gun.

like they say,
    "eat healthy, exercise regularly, live wholesome, and die anyway"

I may be going to Hell in a bucket
    but at least Im enjoying the ride.

kortick, that got me wierd looks when I burst out laughing...too funny.... and yet sadly, so true
    A penny for the old guy.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Martial arts is lame. I bet most of those UFC fighters and professional boxers have dicks the size of thumb tacks. They're just like the guys who drive fancy italian sports cars. They're over compensating for having little dicks and low self-esteem.

But as for getting fit, i'm sure martial arts is a good way to attain that goal. I think my mother and sis did Tai-bo for a while and they're both pretty skinny.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLoco View Post
    Martial arts is lame. I bet most of those UFC fighters and professional boxers have dicks the size of thumb tacks. They're just like the guys who drive fancy italian sports cars. They're over compensating for having little dicks and low self-esteem.

But as for getting fit, i'm sure martial arts is a good way to attain that goal. I think my mother and sis did Tai-bo for a while and they're both pretty skinny.
    umm what?

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    umm what?
    Did I stutter, bitch?

Canada
    anyway,

I am goign to contact that temple knights thing today, and avoid karate like the plague.

hopefully they'll let me in even with my shoulder that likes to dislocate itself sometimes heh.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    anyway,

I am goign to contact that temple knights thing today, and avoid karate like the plague.

hopefully they'll let me in even with my shoulder that likes to dislocate itself sometimes heh.
    Dude, just take Tai-bo. Or you can just Wang Chung tonight. I heard that works too.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLoco View Post

Yeah, and I bet you're even smaller, keyboard warrior. I would bet everything I own that you wouldn't last one round against any pro fighter. You would psyche yourself out before stepping foot in the ring. So, think before you post and talk crap.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Yeah, and I bet you're even smaller, keyboard warrior. I would bet everything I own that you wouldn't last one round against any pro fighter. You would psyche yourself out before stepping foot in the ring. So, think before you post and talk crap.
    First of all, I don't have to prove my worth by fighting in a ring. Secondly, good? bad? I'm the guy with the gun. Don't tread on me and you're fine.

And finally, "the whole, I'm big and bad from Texas mantra" doesn't work on me. Neither does your lame ass martial arts resume. No matter how hard I try I just can't take you seriously.
    Last edited by SoCalLoco; 16-Jan-2008 at 08:54 PM.