Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: History Channel; Life After People.

Canada
    i hope you goto jail hellsing.

hey man, you should put it on megauplaod after your done with it...if you goto jail, you may as well start spreading the joy around eh?

England
    Ah, God bless torrents!

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    too true, just look at mad max.
    Yep, a dire warning that the village people intend to take over the post apocalyptic world...and steal our oil!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 27-Jan-2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just watched it, really interesting, thought provoking adn thoroughly entertaining, no "propaganda" ,unless someones going to gasp, realise that tree outdoors is the enemy and go and hack it down to protect said tards home 40 years from now
    it goes to 10,000 years in the future and its barely about people, it mentions pollution for a grand total of maybe 4 minutes out of 2 hours. Its about the buildings we have created, our lasting mark on the world around us, and how long it takes for our legacy to fade away.
    though you dont find out till the end its a prequel to planet of the apes

England
    Gonna watch this in a bit.

Is there just the one show or is it a mini series or something?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just the one, wich is a shame it would have made a good "walking with" type series.

Super Moderator

UK
    Literally just finished watching it.

Fascinating at best, intolerably annoying at worst.

The best stuff - for me at least - was the very real Pripyat (being "gay for STALKER" as hellsing might say, would obviously lead me to that realm of fascination with the place).

But for me, THE most ANNOYING thing about it was the narration. The delivery - using that movie trailer guy - as well as how it was written was piss-annoying beyond belief. It treats the viewer like a f*cking idiot who can't understand the if there are no people there to maintain anything, everything is f*cked - it's a simple concept, yet we're bashed over the head with it for 90 minutes like we're retards of the highest order.

Also, the constant re-using of certain footage - mainly the stuff they rendered specifically for the show - is aggravating beyond belief. How many times did we need to see Golden Gate Bridge collapse?! Twice at most - not six or seven freaking times!

*sigh*

So, remove the annoying over-use of the same footage and especially remove the god-awful narration, and it's a fascinating watch ... although I can actually understand the reaction that it was rather anti-mankind, ultimately & depressingly saying we're potentially pointless within 10,000 years of our end.

But I'd not call it propaganda either...it's depressing realism at most ... with an atrocious narration.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Also, the constant re-using of certain footage - mainly the stuff they rendered specifically for the show - is aggravating beyond belief. How many times did we need to see Golden Gate Bridge collapse?! Twice at most - not six or seven freaking times!
    i am glad that i wasn't the only one annoyed seeing building after building fall and refall. i mean christ what they showed blds in several cities falling multiple times.

even though this was made for an american tv audience i think that even the densest hillbilly over here would've gotten the point without the constant over the head hammering.

my favorite part was the segment about Prypiat, Ukraine and how we can observe these processes underway and as a living system. even though it is safe to go into the exclusion zone for short periods it will still be something like 300-350 years before that area is safe for permanent human habitation.
    Last edited by Mike70; 29-Jan-2008 at 04:50 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Although apparently in Pripyat and the surrounding area, some people are already living there again and have been for some time - the really stubborn older locals I think, they won't be shoved out by nuclear fallout come hell or high water, but I think they're sweeped out now and then or something.

Also, the majority of it took place in America, particularly New York and Chicago - LA anyone ... or wait a minute - REST OF THE WORLD, ANYONE?

A quick spit of London and Paris doesn't constitute the entire globe, senoir History Channel folk.

Heck, even America didn't get a wide glance!

And annoyingly, the Pripyat section was too short - for me anyway - but considering it's a living, breathing human-free zone, surely it's rather pertinent to the documentary...I know I'd wanna use more footage from that excursion, especially as you're walking around a 'relatively' safe zone of nuclear fallout!

Heck, I might just go watch one of those Chernobyl documentaries I've got downloaded instead...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Heck, I might just go watch one of those Chernobyl documentaries I've got downloaded instead...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Although apparently in Pripyat and the surrounding area, some people are already living there again and have been for some time - the really stubborn older locals I think, they won't be shoved out by nuclear fallout come hell or high water, but I think they're sweeped out now and then or something.
    probably the same sort of stubborn old geezers that live in some of the river towns along the ohio (like Neville, for example) that get obliterated by floods every few years or so, who won't let the govt. move the town someplace higher up and out of the flood plain.

there are lots of good chernobyl docs. which ones did you, ahem, acquire?

Super Moderator

UK
    Scipio - I can't exactly remember now, but I think one was by the BBC 10 years after it had happened, and another was from the Discovery Channel I think, 20 years after it had happened...or maybe 15, but I think 20.

The Discovery one was best I think, I think it was longer and just explained/showed more.

Hellsing - bravo, Sir, bravo.

Give the man a hand...

BOOM-BOOM!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    A-HYAH-HYAH-HYAH-BOOM-BOOM!

dammit, its contagious.

i saw a good one on animal planet about how natures taken it back, but still things like bears, or in latin "the hairy russian carpet guys" () dig up the soil to hibernate and upturn tons of settled radiation.
    PLus some creatures with used to reproduce asexually had kids young after chernobyl that had genders adn bred like mammals.

Super Moderator

UK
    Apparently there are catfish or something in the rivers around there that are MASSIVE too, but mutation hasn't really occurred in the animal kingdom.

Pesky bears, give them a pic-a-nic basket and they're occupied, but forget to and they're like a kid with ADD and the keys to Wiggum's forbidden closet of mystery.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    and the keys to Wiggum's forbidden closet of mystery.

*snorts drink out nose at the best simpsons reference in ages*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Scipio - I can't exactly remember now, but I think one was by the BBC 10 years after it had happened, and another was from the Discovery Channel I think, 20 years after it had happened...or maybe 15, but I think 20.

The Discovery one was best I think, I think it was longer and just explained/showed more.

if the bbc one you are talking about is the one where the journalist is not only taken into the exclusion zone but into the reactor bldg itself - i thought that one was really good and it creeped me out hearing that guys gamma detector going beep-beep-beep almost every other second.