Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: this makes the movie industry look BAD

Undisclosed
    "The remakes have been going nuts since long before the writers strike. My thought is that its because modern "writers" who work for these companies are just cronie yes men who just shop out consensus ideas to focus groups, which is why we get the films were getting. I say let them stay on strike."

This is not why there are remakes.

There are remakes because studios already own the rights to a movie or TV series, say "Get Smart". So, for them to develop an idea that they own, they only have to bring on a writer for a take (which, BTW, when you finally hire the writer - they get a paid A LOT OF MONEY to write that script - some into the millions and writers FIGHT to get that gig because it's a sweet gig).

So, from the studio side - they own it and it's proven - they know if they make a movie with a familiar name and a big star, it has less risk then buying some NEW script.

So, in the end, it really has nothing to do with the writers at all.

In fact, writers try all the time to get new material out, but it's hard. So, when studios put a call out for writers to come up with fresh ideas on an old property, writers line up to come up with ideas.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Super Moderator

UK
    So, when studios put a call out for writers to come up with fresh ideas on an old property, writers line up to come up with ideas.
    Hell, as a guy cracking into the biz myself, I wouldn't half mind the highly unlikely opportunity of a studio saddling up to me and saying - "hey, do us a reboot of Friday 13th"...I'd undercut the other guys, cos an undercut would still gimme a shedload of cash relatively speaking.

But that's just a pipe dream for easy cash.

At least I'd try and think about what Friday 13th is and what it should be again, so it wouldn't just be cash.

Just day-dreaming here, figured I'd write it down.

Ah well, back to my own scripts.