Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so, How do you retain focus on your writings?

Canada

so, How do you retain focus on your writings?

I have a had time sticking to any story for a length of time. I can't sit down and type it out for a long period (and I hating writing things down tbh) but I like writing itself. My problem is my inability to focus on one project.

how do you established and unestablished writers do this?

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Try starting very small... but be sure to finish it from start to end. This could be maybe one paragraph summarizing the entire story. Then keep expanding it until it is the length you desire.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    man, ive got hundreds of sotrys about my house, on multiple pcs or in note books, or as random scrawlings on paper hidden around everywere in the house, just yesterday i found a big notebook at the bottom of a chest of drawers full of half finished plots, inluding one to a movie script i abandoned becuase i lsot said script.
    it all depends on the subject amtter, your inspiration and enthusiasm for the piece, some writers have been known to write a full story in a day, but then only a paragraph in a month, i know all my random ideas piled high would be like a iconlike effigy to a long forgotten diety ,but my finished ones would number a dozen at best.
    origionalitys also a key, sometimes ive started an idea and slowly realised theres something like it allready out there and its fizzled out.

-One fine example of that is "change" a full novel i wrote about 3 years ago, i had a full 200 page notebook full of ideas, really thought it could be my first published work and then i heard about a certain new game coming out in the next few years called bioshock that, whilst wasnt the same story ,the idea of society undoing itself through genetic manipulation was my sotry idea and to try and pitch a book about the same subject matter at the same time would be dumb so i just dropped the idea, i dont have any copies of the book left but i found the notebook a while back so ive been thinking of reworking it as some cross between that and something thats cthulu mythos meets the flood from halo but then ive gotta work up the inspiration to do so first yknow?

its all about you basically, dont force it out or youll get crap, if you write only a paragraph a month, at least it will be a paragraph you feel is something others will want to read.

Undisclosed
    Focus! Sure, thats simple, you just sit down and... hey, look at that, isn't it something!... I'm sorry what were we talking about?

I always write until I feel that what I have is done or until it bores me. If you get on a project and you really get cooking with the story, keep at it. If it starts to drag or you find yourself looking more and more at the paragraphs before, take a break. I've got some stories I've been sitting on for years now because I got bored and the inspiration for them still hasn't come back around. If its good, you'll come back to it eventually. If not, no loss.
    If you're not offended, I'm not doing my job.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    year the big major thing to say not said in my post or dans is the old saying "if you arent interested reading your stuff, do you think other people will be?"

capncnut
    I find that it's all down to determination - how badly do you want to write the piece? I've been writing a Sid Vicious biography for over a year and it's about three-quarters done. I go through periods where I get a bit sick of it so I'll maybe play a console for a few days or read a book and the thirst for it generally comes back.

For the last few days, I put the biography to one side so I could start work on a sequel to Stephen King's Christine. I had a bitchin' little idea and now it's just running away with itself, going from half a page to several pages in the first few hours. It's just dedicating the time equally to all the projects you are currently involved with. But the passion for the story has to be there otherwise you'll find yourself getting bored very fast.
    Last edited by capncnut; 27-Jan-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i might have to read christine again now, its allways been my favourite of king's

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Outline your story and do one section at a time. It's the best way to get from start to finish. And try to write in a place with as few distractions as possible. No tv or radio.
    “Writing is easy. Just put a sheet of paper in the typewriter and start bleeding.”
    – Thomas Wolfe

Undisclosed
    Another good idea is to write down what pops to mind. If you have an idea for something, get it on paper rather than wait for the rest of the story to catch up. You end up losing some real gems sometimes when you wait.
    If you're not offended, I'm not doing my job.

Canada
    i can never seem to finish a project. i have 7 on the go but i have only ever compleated 2 lol.
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    i can never seem to finish a project. i have 7 on the go but i have only ever compleated 2 lol.
    Yeah, I've got two done with about ten half-finished pieces scattered around my PC and in notebooks. Still, I'll be sticking to the Sid bio and Christine, two projects at a time is more than my poor brain can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i might have to read christine again now, its allways been my favourite of king's
    It's definitely in the King top three. When I put the book down, I watched the movie and then wallop! All of a sudden, I had a complete sequel plot, setting, characters, and a darned good direction as to where it could be taken almost immediately. The most constructive piece of writing I did in years.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by dannoofthedead View Post
    Another good idea is to write down what pops to mind. If you have an idea for something, get it on paper rather than wait for the rest of the story to catch up. You end up losing some real gems sometimes when you wait.
    very true ive got 3 note books around the house for just such occasions, though inspired by this thread i dug up the first in a 4 part sci-fi series i started about 8 people who are the last people alive as the species has died out, least they think so that is.....

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Remember, Stephen King found time to write for 2-3 hours every night despite a college teaching job, his wife working a full-time job, two kids running around the house and sometimes no heat. His "office" was squeezing into the house's only bathroom and locking the door, sitting down on the stool with a board over his legs and his typewriter balanced on his knees.

Now *that's* dedication.

It's all about forcing yourself to do it, and finding a consistent amount of time each day.
    “Writing is easy. Just put a sheet of paper in the typewriter and start bleeding.”
    – Thomas Wolfe

capncnut
    King is a machine, his books average around 500-800 pages. And every one of them is captivating to read.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    King is a machine, his books average around 500-800 pages. And every one of them is captivating to read.
    ya read dalores clairborne?

not for me.