Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: highly laughable

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080131/...wh/bush_budget i got a better way to make the deficit shrink by 500 million by the time the election is over..........bring all the troops home. maybe lower pirces on things we buy? just a thought
    Nixon tried the whole wage/price freeze thing, it didn't work. In the words of Rocky Squirrel, "That trick NEVER works". Things cost a certain amount to produce, take away the profit motive and people lose interest and stop producing that thing. Reference "Gas Lines".

Savings also would come by charging wealthier people higher monthly premiums for Medicare's drug program. wont happen because then he'd be paying more
    HE (Bush) Won't be paying anything, trust me, we take good care of former Presidents and Congresspeople, and WE pay for it.

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Oh I agree lower prices = more purchase power of the public... but... I dunno. I must have missed it in Civics class, where did the President get the power to lower prices in a free market economy?
    People don't want to hear that. It's almost impossible to praise/bitch about the hundreds of people that are actually in control. So, people just give the credit to/moan and groan about the most recognizable singular person: the President.

It's been going on for numerous Presidents now....

Undisclosed
    Gas isnt getting cheaper and likely never will while being a power source....I imagine by summer time in the USA gas will be about 4-5$ a gallon if not more....most people in the buisness say Oil production is very close to peaking...or may have already peaked.... (see "Hubberts Peak")....

Dont even get me started about what the implications of this mean.....

Jokes aside our government isnt really capable of dealing with serious issues like this proactively....and they cant be dealt with retroactively without collateral damage.....(I mean experts have been predicting this since the 70s and there hasnt been a smidge of progress)

Last edited by Terran; 01-Feb-2008 at 07:21 PM.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Super Moderator

UK
    Speaking of petrol, it's something retarded like £1.09 here in the UK per litre, never mind per gallon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Speaking of petrol, it's something retarded like £1.09 here in the UK per litre, never mind per gallon.
    jesus h. in a chariot driven sidecar that is more than $8 a gal! okay. i'll never bitch about gas prices over here again which currently stand at $2.98/gal in my town.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    jesus h. in a chariot driven sidecar that is more than $8 a gal! okay. i'll never bitch about gas prices over here again which currently stand at $2.98/gal in my town.

which means its $4 there. dont get so scared,bro. their dollar(pound) is almost double ours.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    Sweet music to my British ears.

Then of course there's the ridiculous case of Tax on our fuel, the vast majority of it is Tax ... then there's VAT as well, sheesh...bah, the grubby hands of gubment...

*wanders off muttering like a grumpy old fart*

Banned User

Undisclosed
    which means its $4 there. dont get so scared,bro. their dollar(pound) is almost double ours.
    Yeah per LITER, not per Gallon. its almost 4 liters PER gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Sweet music to my British ears.

Then of course there's the ridiculous case of Tax on our fuel, the vast majority of it is Tax ... then there's VAT as well, sheesh...bah, the grubby hands of gubment...

*wanders off muttering like a grumpy old fart*
    Same here, i read that something like 50% of our gas cost is taxes, local, state and federal taxes.
    Last edited by Khardis; 02-Feb-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

UK
    http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html

Last one on that graph, 2007 and a litre of unleaded:

95.1 pence ... of which 63.7 pence is pure tax.

Duty and VAT - and they charge VAT on the Duty as well if I'm not mistaken.

Now unleaded is £1.07, diesel is £1.10...and I think fuel is going up another 2p with the new budget from that badger haired, no-confidence-inspiring plonker who's now the big man with the big cheque book.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    4 liters to the gallon ace. 4 liters.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."