Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** This

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

**** This

All I can say, less than two days away from "release" is **** THIS!
    The promotion , general apathetic approach to marketing this film, and the patheic less-than-wide release make me want to puke. Romero has never known how to sell a film, and his partnership with Diary appears destined to be a flop. What idiot decided the cities that this film would come out in? Not having many metropolitan areas included just shows what kind of moronic individuals are running this show.
    Am I bitter because I can't see it? Oh yeah. But if Diary is as piss poor as Land, I'll wash my hands of Romero for good. George Lucas made some of my favorite films of all time, 30 years ago. This is Romero's last chance at vindication in my book.

capncnut
    I agree with you 100%, the promotion for this film is non-f**king-existent.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wow. Chill pill. Take one.

Romero has nothing to do with the marketing or distribution of the film. It's the company that he sold the film to for distibution.

And to say that you're going to "write him off" just because you don't like one or two of his films is well....for a lack of a better word, pathetic.

Every great filmmaker has his ups and downs. You may not have liked Land, but you haven't seen this film, so you really don't have a leg to stand on at this point. Wait until you see it before you rant...

Undisclosed
    Relax, at least we are getting a new movie. We have had 2 Romero zombie movies (plus the non-Romero ones) in the last few years. Remember after Day we had to wait 20 years for another (many of us thought we would never see another)? If you have to wait for the DVD so be it. Just be glad we are getting new zombie movies. It does suck that the marketing is non-existant, but isn't the charm of Romero's movies the fact that they aren't mainstream? Stay positive the wait will be worth it. Besides this could be the last.......
    Patrick Bateman: "I have to return some video tapes"

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    If Diary is as piss poor as Land, I'll wash my hands of Romero for good... This is Romero's last chance at vindication in my book.
    I can understand why you feel this way. I urge you not to raise your expectations with Diary otherwise you might be closing the door on one of the best horror directors out there. Night, Dawn and Day will never be equalled, this has to be expected now that he's in the later stages of his career.
    Last edited by capncnut; 14-Feb-2008 at 04:24 AM.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I hear you. I figured that out after Land. Perhaps it's sad that I care so much at 33 years old, but in today's entertainment climate, I look forward to VERY little when it comes to movies.
    In reality, fans of this series and the Star Wars films have lived a unique existence. I can't think of any other series -- other than Bond -- that has spanned four decades. I grew up with Dawn, and it was never going to get any better. Still, it's hard not to have expectations...it's only natural.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    I hear you. I figured that out after Land. Perhaps it's sad that I care so much at 33 years old, but in today's entertainment climate, I look forward to VERY little when it comes to movies.
    In reality, fans of this series and the Star Wars films have lived a unique existence. I can't think of any other series -- other than Bond -- that has spanned four decades. I grew up with Dawn, and it was never going to get any better. Still, it's hard not to have expectations...it's only natural.

Dude i can see where you're coming from and I hope that you don't wash your hands of Romero after Diary. We need to see the film first before we jump to any conclusions.

I guess the Weinstein company has left it up to us to promote this film and I think we as a group have done so. I'm sure everyone here has told some friend who is not part of the Romero group here about this film, so lets campaign for this film by word of mouth and getting to a theater if we can.

If you haven't seen a Romero flick in the theaters I urge to try to make it no matter how far it is. There is nothing like seeing "Written & Directed by George A. Romero" on the big screen.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Monrozombi View Post
    If you haven't seen a Romero flick in the theaters I urge to try to make it no matter how far it is. There is nothing like seeing "Written & Directed by George A. Romero" on the big screen.
    dude, i'd love to see things that way, but the nearest showing is over four hours away...and i only live a stone's throw away from st. louis which one of the largest cities in the midwest.

the people who came up with the distribution plan for this film can eat sh!t. no way i'm driving four hours (eight if you count driving back) for a movie, regardless of who the director is.

United States
    i hear ya, I'm actually driving out to Pittsburgh tomorrow morning (3.5 hours from my home in Hershey) to see the film, once maybe 2x. I'm one who can't wait and will drive any distance to see a Romero film.

You're right though, why they decided a limited release and only in certain cities will hopefully be dragged outdoors and shot

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    While I agree that both the distribution and marketing in general for this movie is a complete joke(I cannot even find a showing anywhere near where I live), I do not blame GAR. I grew up watching Mr. Romero's movies but unfortunately I came along a little late (I was born in November of 1981) and the did not have privilege of seeing them in a movie theater (I also don't live anywhere near a theater that shows older movies).

As far as the quality of his recent work goes, you have to think how rusty would you be after taking such along break away from the genre and/or being forced to work in the constraints of Hollywood. Where producers and investors only understand cheap movie formulas (and how can you blame them with hundreds of millions of dollars is up for grabs?)

While I will say I enjoyed land the least of all the films in the series, I still think it was leaps and bounds better they they cookie cutter garbage that is thrown out every year. That may be tough to swallow when you expect so much from a man but I say lets give him some time to get back up to speed. When your name is credited for Night of the living dead, Dawn of the dead, and to a lesser extent Day of the dead(which happen to love) it may just be damn near impossible to come up with something everybody will enjoy.
    Last edited by Cikorpyan; 14-Feb-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    It's limited because Weinstein is playing a wait and see game. The 1st day viewers will already know about this film. They are watching to see if it will have the same track as Land. If comes out limited and the buzz is really good I expect it will open up and get a proper ad campaign. If the buzz is moderate or negative then it will head to DVD in Oct.

DVD is where they make the money anyway these days on zombie movies.

Undisclosed
    Yeah, promotion and distribution cost money(money money money).

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

re:

"Romero has never known how to sell a film..."

You obviously don't know anything about the way things work. Unless you're Spielberg, Lucas, or Peter Jackson, you don't have any say in how your film is promoted. The abysmal manner in which DIARY is being promoted is solely the fault of the publicity department at the Weinstein Company -- it has nothing to do with Romero, who is probably even more annoyed with it than you are.

"But if Diary is as piss poor as Land, I'll wash my hands of Romero for good."

I'm sure George is shaking in his boots.

Undisclosed
    DVD is where they make the money anyway these days on zombie movies.
    How many of us would walk out of the movie and buy the DVD if it was for sale in the lobby?

I know I would.

I found out its playing in Boston starting today ... if I can get some stuff done I might go see it today instead of in Cambridge tomorow.

Not advertising a movie only hurts them with people who are not big fans. They know we will all be keeping track of where it is showing and we will all be seeing it ...

Not having a marketing campaign will just harm them in the "cool, lets see that this weekend" crowd. (over simplification ... but I hope you get my point).

It just pisses me off that the studio does not think it worthy of wide release... with how well every "big" zombie/infected" type movie has done over the last few years....

I am sure they have a logic behind it ... but I just can't see it.

Undisclosed
    Sad thing is with the rate of movie ticket prices, the DVDs will be cheaper in a few years. I'm sure there will be more ads when it comes out on DVD.
    Last edited by Deckard; 14-Feb-2008 at 12:13 PM.
    Patrick Bateman: "I have to return some video tapes"