Thread: Metal thread

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I just bought a new 23 necklace.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i've just gotten my hands on a few cool DVD/videos:

slayer- still reigning, rock am ring 06 and 07, and a decent quality bootleg from the south of heaven tour in 88.

testament - live in london. this is awesome. the classic lineup playing nothing but old songs and alex skolnick shreds it up in this. the guitar playing in this vid is top notch.

overkill - wrecking everything. this is flat out awesome too. overkill in their hometown playing a set packed with old tunes from the 80s and early 90s.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLoco View Post
    Anthrax (with Joey Belladonna)! N.F.B. (Dallabnikufesin), I'm the Man, Startin' Up A Posse, Bring Tha Noise = 'Nough said.
    What?! Come on, man, that stuff is okay, but what really thrash are Spreading The Disease and Among The Living. Also, Fistful Of Metal (with Neil Turbin on vox) is great, too.

Metallica = Master of the Puppets, Ride the Lightning & And Justice only. Kill 'Em All occasionally.
    In my opinion, Kill Em All takes far precedence over Master and especially Justice.

Hmm, that's about it for me when it comes to metal. Thrash & punk (along with the old stuff) is where it's at. Whatever happened to bands like King Missile & M.O.D. & The Dead Milkmen? Hell, for that matter, what happened to all that skate-punk **** from the 80s, made famous by Suicidal Tendencies & others?
    Haha, nice! I'm friends with Joe from The Dead Milkmen. Check out his new band, The Low Budgets... they're catchy/poppy 60's-esque rock and roll with a punk attitude. Cool buddies of mine.

As far as skate punk goes, there are thousands of bands my age (and younger... and way older for that matter) that are still doing that sound and putting out records. For starters... Bones Brigade, Common Enemy, Concrete Facelift, Fruit Salad, etc.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    yeah anthrax after among the living is a band that i don't care for at at all.

Kazakhstan
    Kill Em All is the best Metallica album for just balls out have a beer and headbang metal madness. It's relentless, has a great atmosphere and a sort of mischievous quality to it (you know what I mean).

Puppets is the serious, more refined version - fewer songs, but longer. No silliness like jump in the fire - tunes about Kesey and Lovecraft novels, there's no "wowwwz" or "yeah-ee-yeahhhs" in the vocals - which are abundant in Kill Em All and the Black Album.

I can never decide which is better to be honest!

Ride the lightning and Justice are good albums, but ultimately both are just inferior versions of Master of Puppets - Lightning has a couple duff tracks and the vocals arent quite worked out yet, Justice is too bloated & a bit hollow.

Some people really hate Metallica for doing the Black album,but to be honest i don't see where else they could have taken it - they basically did the same album 3 times with lightning/puppets/justice.

However when it comes to taking the thrash metal formula and streamlining it for the mainstream WITHOUT compromising the heaviness, i think Megadeth won that battle hands down - Black album gets old after the first 5 tracks, Countdown to Extinction is solid all the way through.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post

Ride the lightning and Justice are good albums, but ultimately both are just inferior versions of Master of Puppets.

i totallly agree with you about justice. there is way too much going on on that record and it sounds way too big - if you know what i am getting at.

but ride is one of my favorite thrash records. i have a real soft spot for it because it was one of the first records that a certain 14 year old latched onto and began his addiction to thrash with. the second side (sorry when i was a kid vinyl was still kicking it) rips - trapped under ice, escape, creeping death and the call of ktulu. damn good run of tunes.

i am not really trying to argue that ride it is objectively better than master - the production on master is far superior to ride and master has some of the seminal metallica tunes on it. i am just saying that subjectively i like ride more.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    Black album gets old after the first 5 tracks, Countdown to Extinction is solid all the way through.
    I agree. I don't like the Black album, but Countdown is a kickass album.

Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    (sorry when i was a kid vinyl was still kicking it)
    It's still kicking for me; unless something is really hard for me to find, I strictly buy/listen to vinyl.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Is Black Sabbath metal? I have one of their "best of" discs.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Is Black Sabbath metal? I have one of their "best of" discs.
    are you being serious? i hope not but you never can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    It's still kicking for me; unless something is really hard for me to find, I strictly buy/listen to vinyl.
    jesus mike that is old, old school. so i guess bands still put out limited pressings in vinyl? man i haven't bought a vinyl record since like 1987 or 88.

wow.
    Last edited by Mike70; 27-Feb-2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    jesus mike that is old, old school. so i guess bands still put out limited pressings in vinyl? man i haven't bought a vinyl record since like 1987 or 88.

wow.
    I don't listen to many bands that have come out since the early 90's, but the ones that I do listen to almost always press to vinyl... some exclusively press vinyl.

I've got this one awesome Nunslaughter inverted cross shaped picture disc 12"...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I don't listen to many bands that have come out since the early 90's, but the ones that I do listen to almost always press to vinyl... some exclusively press vinyl.

I've got this one awesome Nunslaughter inverted cross shaped picture disc 12"...

man that is one thing about vinyl that i do miss - picture disks. i am going to have to (someday) dig out the live undead picture disk that i have (hopefully i still do) and put it up.

yes one of these days rather soon i plan on waxing poetic on my myspace blog about how superior the metal in the 80s and early 90s was to the stuff today.

i just got my hands on kreator's discography - including the tormentor demos from way, way back.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Mind you, that Nunslaughter 12" isn't just a picture disc... it's actually SHAPED like an inverted cross. That black background is not part of the wax, just the cross that you see. Because of it's shape, it only has 3 songs so it works more as a 7"

man that is one thing about vinyl that i do miss - picture disks. i am going to have to (someday) dig out the live undead picture disk that i have (hopefully i still do) and put it up.
    I have that picture disc, also.

i just got my hands on kreator's discography - including the tormentor demos from way, way back.
    I used to have the Tormentor demos downloaded. My favorite album by them is Extreme Aggression (which, of course, I own on vinyl).

Haha I'm feeling a bit pompous, but I don't care so... my record collection is in the hundreds... probably 500-600.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

Haha I'm feeling a bit pompous, but I don't care so... my record collection is in the hundreds... probably 500-600.
    nothing pompous about it. after 25 years or so of collecting stuff i also have a gianormous amout of music too.

i have just been looking through the vinyl records that i do still have - don't have anything to play them on but still have them - and i came across some things i had almost forgotten i had -- the slayer "postmortem" maxi-single with postmortem and the remix of criminally insane on one side and the alt. version of agressive perfector on the other. i also found the maiden live import "maiden japan" along with the first two trash metal records i ever bought - Ride the Lightning and Don't Break the Oath.

i had to search part of the garage and two closets before i found them but i finally did...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Right on! I've also got Maiden Japan, Kill Em All, and Don't Break The Oath on vinyl... KING RULES!!!

If you ever feel like you need to get rid of any of your collection, you know how to contact me...

Kazakhstan
    New Metallica song has appeared "the day that never comes" or something. Bit of a hilarious title considering were all waiting for them to put out a good album again.

Anyway, the tune is alright, a bit unforgiven ish. It's very "Load" for the first 5 minutes though.

However!

It kicks off around the 5 minute mark(it does actually fly by though), there's a bloody amazing solo & this recurring lead guitar motif- which i'm pretty sure is stolen from an iron maiden song, but ah well

all in all, 7/10, way better than the other new song "Cyanide".

Trouble with those two songs (and the song "new song/death is not the end") is that it has bits that kick serious ****ing arse, and then just boring bits. Instead of the 3 ok-ish songs with amazing bits, can't they edit them into one epic or something.

But aye those two tracks and a new cover of maiden's remember tommorow are on their Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/metallica
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE