Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Metal thread

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    What the f**k was that shit about (I nearly uncensored my f**k on bullshit factor alone)?

WTF?
    i'm right there with you. don't get that one at all and frankly, i find it rather embarrassing for them. i immediately went and listened to "orion" cranked up to cleanse my ears of that abomination.

and a different and funnier note, the bit mentioned by liam in clerks II (yes, i am really trying to forget that metallica clip)

since we've been talking about doom/stoner metal recently here is a bit of wino with saint vitus. i saw these dudes live a couple of times. one show sticks out in my mind, it was like july or aug and hot as shit. the show was sweaty, heavy, loud as fuck and i'd been smoking hash oil. ah, to be 17 again...

Last edited by Mike70; 31-Jan-2009 at 04:17 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    What the f**k was that shit about (I nearly uncensored my f**k on bullshit factor alone)?

WTF?
    I didn't think it was that bad. I don't see how this is anywhere near as bad as the whole Napster furore, etc. I'm not a big Metallica fan but I always find metal covers of pop songs amusing.

I think I might have posted this one here before, not sure:

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    now onto even sadder news: the end is extremely fucking nigh based on what i've just come across on youtube. metallica's fall from grace has brought them to an all time new low. this is a vid of them doing a cover medley of popular songs for some MTV celebration. it was painful to watch.
    Keep in mind, that video is over 5 years old. I'm sure they've done worse since then.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Keep in mind, that video is over 5 years old. I'm sure they've done worse since then.
    undoubtedly, but here is something that proves that they still know how to rock it out at least to mercyful fate. this a pretty good quality vid of them performing with king diamond on 9 aug 08. the version of "evil" they do is completely and totally smoking hot.

Last edited by Mike70; 01-Feb-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Kazakhstan
    Last Metallica album was inoffensive & they put on an amazing show. Yep they did a trilogy of gash albums, but I forgive them, still Metal Gods. Sabbath did more than 3 bad albums & people like them so much they tour with 2 lineups
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I didn't think it was that bad. I don't see how this is anywhere near as bad as the whole Napster furore, etc. I'm not a big Metallica fan but I always find metal covers of pop songs amusing.

I think I might have posted this one here before, not sure:

thanks. i'd never heard that and i thought it was pretty damn good. here is one of my fav covers by a metal band. iced earth doing "burnin for you."

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    thanks. i'd never heard that and i thought it was pretty damn good. here is one of my fav covers by a metal band. iced earth doing "burnin for you."

Yeah, I think I have that on a weird Russian-imported Horror Show/Tribute to the Gods split album. I think the distorted guitars really fit the song well, I love it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have a hell of a spring to look forward to...

Kreator (whom I've always managed to miss) with Exodus playing Bonded By Blood from start to finish... I know I know, Baloff is dead, but it'll still be awesome to go nuts and scream along to this album live.

Destruction is coming back. Sadly, this time I don't get the pleasure of being the opening band like last time (RULED!).

Maryland Deathfest is going to be great this year. The bands I'm looking forward to most include (but is not limited to): Aura Noir, Pestilence, Abscess, Immolation, Athiest, Birdflesh.

And finally...

CARCASS is coming back to the states!!!!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I have a hell of a spring to look forward to...

Kreator (whom I've always managed to miss) with Exodus playing Bonded By Blood from start to finish... I know I know, Baloff is dead, but it'll still be awesome to go nuts and scream along to this album live.
    now this is one tour that just might lure me out of concert retirement. both kreator and exodus were totally kiss ass shows back in the day. i know that (or at least last i heard) exodus had had some major lineup changes and the only members from the classic line up still in the band were gary holt and tom hunting. please correct me if i am wrong about that.

kreator could flat blow a place to pieces and have folks hanging from the rafters at their shows, at least the 5 or so times i saw them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    ok. for whatever reason, call it inherent good taste or whatever, my son loves this song. we regularly rock it out all over the house to this tune, saint vitus (the boy seems to like his stuff heavy) and metal/punk in general. funny thing is, i was a causal listener of saint vitus, i liked their stuff and had most of their records but hell, i've got like well over 1,200 or so CDs; having their discography isn't anything special. now, i'm starting to love them because for some reason, Nick has latched onto that heavy, grinding sort of sound, so i put this up on youtube for him:

note: i just realized how metal this was and it damn near brought a tear to my eye. i'll save that for the first time the boy blows something apart with a shotgun at a range or down in georgetown but anyhoo, while lot's of parents put up uber cute shit of their kids doing funny stuff, i put up a vid of my kid's favorite saint vitus song.
    Last edited by Mike70; 17-Feb-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This Friday I'm going to see CARCASS again!!!

Mike, I think you'll dig this: on April 17th, I'm going to see the ANVIL documentary followed by a Q&A with the band... followed by a live performance!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    So you like it fast?
    You like it heavy?
    You like it loud?
    Oh...but you want melody?
    Technicality?
    Harmony?

SYMPHONY????

How about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcP3uIAXE6k
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Mike, I think you'll dig this: on April 17th, I'm going to see the ANVIL documentary followed by a Q&A with the band... followed by a live performance!
    there's an anvil documentary? holy sheep shit, i didn't know that. that would probably be damn interesting.

let us know how it turns out.

Kazakhstan
    Saw Metallica at the 02 last night, had big smoke & a few drinks, and went off to the dome.

First off I have to say, seeing Metallica at the Milennium dome is a bit of an experience in itself & i'd recommend it highly.

Basically the actual arena (which is HUGE) is about a 3rd of the overall size of the thing. There was about a dozen huge bars, all blasting metallica (one had the s&m dvd playing on about 20 flatscreens, one had a metallica guitar hero competition onstage, etc), and everyone there was mad for it, the atmosphere was palpable.

The stage was in the centre of the crowd, like the black album tour, and lar's kit would rotate throughout the show. They had a HUGE lighting rig suspended above them like a giant industrial looking chandelier, with these 4 massive black coffins that rotated and fired lasers and stuff (I dropped some mdma during machinehead's support slot, so suffice to say I was pleased with all that)

So yeah, they hit the stage, and this isn't the right order, but they played

harvester of sorrow
    one
    and justice for all (whole thing, epic)
    master of puppets
    hit the lights
    seek and destroy
    that was just your life
    end of the line
    day that never comes
    the outlaw torn (I know right?)
    fight fire with fire (epic pyro, i was down the front, heat made me wince)
    enter sandman
    sad but true
    nothing else matters
    my apocalypse
    broken, beat & scarred
    The Judas Kiss
    Overkill (motorhead cover)

Kirk riffed on Sails of Charon for a bit, which was cool.

Sound was superb, Hetfield's voice was actually excellent! he's dropped that yodelling danzig thing largely, and has his old growl back, which was excellent.

but possibly the highlight of the evening occurred thusly ;

So I was standing with my mate monkey by one of the exits, and we were talking to these kids who'd never seen Metallica before, when suddenly their faces drop & they point behind us...

It was bloody James Hetfield, just walking by with his personal ninja, loads of people ran up and were like "james sign this sign that, james lemme take a picture james james james", and he was like "havent got time to do everyone guys, sorry" and kept on walking, the mob dispersed.

Undeterred, me and monkey ran up to him at a speed that got his bodyguard pulling some sort of defence stance James keeps walking, Monkey says "hey Jim, no cameras no bullshit, we just wanna shake your hand mate"

He stops dead, walks over to us, I was really fucked to be honest so I just remember us being like safe mate safe cheers for the music, come back anytime etc, shook his hand (really leathery), he said "cheers guys, thanks for comin out, see you again"

and he walked off into the sunset (or whatever)
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Scotland
    Sounds like a good night. But... *meh*tallica