View Poll Results: The best film of the original Alien series?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien

17 40.48%
  • Aliens

25 59.52%
  • Alien 3

0 0%
  • Alien Resurrection

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alien Poll

United States

Alien Series(Original-Resurrection)

Alien- Was one of the best simply because, off how little you saw the creature and the suspense was used in place of special effects and a groundbreaking, film that set the standard for science fiction films to follow.

Aliens- Better than the first in some ways, Locations changed and more characters. Although..to me atleast it set the series into a confusing path with complicated terminology and confusing scenerios.

Alien 3- I personally though this one is alittle underrated. Although it further confusion when Ripley has an alien queen growing inside her. But what they cease to explain is how and when it got there, when it was very clear there was nothing on board the Sulaco at the end of the second film.

Alien: Resurrection- By far the most confusing in the series. At the end of the third film, Ripley is seen killing herself by jumping into molten lead...and right before she hit, the alien inside her bursted out, quickly being killed. In this film, they somehow recover her body from the lead (impossible, even in the ALIEN universe) and clone her. Not to mention at the end, a NEW alien is born without explanation, looking completely different from any other alien in the series.

United States
    Alien is the scariest to me. But Aliens is a childhood favorite for me. I've seen that movie more than any other. So Aliens would be my favorite mostly. . . .

. . .mostly
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Alien is a classic and a landmark film, but Aliens was great and I do mean spectacularly great fun! Somewhat scary when you're a kid, tense, great action, awesome set design & good effects and eminently quotable!

Game over man! Game over!

Edit: Duck and cover for an incoming Bassman reminding us this poll was just done earlier this year!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 08-Dec-2008 at 10:47 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

capncnut
    Click.

My original vote still stands.

United States
    it's tough to top the original, altough aliens is pretty close.

say, that gives me an idea for a new thread....

capn, maybe you should lock this thread or merge it with the "remake"
    Last edited by capncnut; 08-Dec-2008 at 11:26 PM.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    capn, maybe you should lock this thread or merge it with the "remake"
    Done.

United States
    Aliens was a nice action flick ride, and very entertaining, but I have to go with the OG Alien. It was a landmark sci-fi/horror film, and (perhaps it was because I was in grade school at the time) it was the scariest film ever! That chestburster moment -like helicopter zombie and Wooley's tenenment headshot zombie in DOTD - altered horror forever.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Aliens (mayhaps my sig gives that away? ) - great action, catchy one-liners, good characters, and more or Ripley kickin' butt. Alien is right behind it, though. Like 'em both, but gotta' go with Aliens for my #1...

United States
    I voted for Aliens,it was a great movie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post

Oops. Sorry, boss.

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post

I think Alien 3 is underappreciated. I know I'm a fan of the movie but it would've been a fitting end to the trilogy if they used the assembly cut. What the hell possessed them to re-edit and add an alien bursting from her stomach at the end is beyond me.
    I agree! You have to understand that Fincher was a first-time director that was working without a finished script under insane pressure from Fox (the trailers were already out with the release date when they were filming). Still, it has a great atmosphere of a dark future.

United States
    Aliens is my favorite movie of all time. Notice anything similar between Hudson and my arm?

I'm also a very big fan of the original Alien and Alien 3. I really don't want to talk about that other film...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    killing off newt and hicks made no sense.
    Preachin to the choir.

As a fan of the first two films, I dutifully went off to see Alien 3 only to be mightly ticked off by what was on the screen, mostly because I'd already read the follow up graphic novel by Dark Horse comics ( with a teenage newt and badly scarred Hicks. )

Later I warmed to it, after writing my own script change in which Ripley's sleeper unit is isolated at the first sign of alien infection and ejected from the ship. Later she'd sacrifice herself (as in the film)to save the spacecraft from it's decaying orbit and kill the alien within her.

Alien Resurrection made no sense whatsoever. Where did they get the genetic material from? She fell into a blinkin blast furnace.

I actually liked parts of Alien Vs Predator, but it felt somewhat like a botched edit job.

Wayne Z

Super Moderator

UK
    AvP?! That was ATROCIOUS! And it neutered TWO R-Rated franchises in one go, the sequel, while regaining the gore, was also complete sh*t - an awful script, rubbish acting, and the camera was too shaky and the image too dark during the battles, so you couldn't see a damn thing.

In Alien Resurrection, wasn't the genetic material blood samples or something, no doubt taken by the doctor in Alien 3?

Have you seen the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3 - the version closest to what David Fincher intended? It's so much better than the theatrical cut, and you suddenly realise just how incomprehensible the theatrical cut was.

Despite being a smidge rough around the edges (being an assembly cut), it's far better, makes more sense, and really feels like a David Fincher film, it almost feels artistic - in the best sense. Highly recommended.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh come on, MZ. The second Alien VS Predator was miles ahead of Paul Anderon's suck fest. True, it still isn't the AVP film that we SHOULD have and it had many problems, but it put Anderson's to shame. Anderson is quickly approaching suck levels equal to that of Boll.

Speaking of the Predator franchise....does anyone here consider Predator 2 to be better than the first? I've had someone tell me that before...

United States
    Yeah, I really appreciated Alien 3 a lot more when I saw the "Assembly Cut" (assming that's what you mean by the cut in the Quadrilogy pack). I especially like the Morse throat-slitting scene to let the alien back out. Truely shows what a crazy f*ck he really was.

Oh, and did you watch the full "Making of..." for this film? Talks about how the original idea was going to be on a man-made wooden planet. Where men live as monks to escape all technology and live primitive lives? Very intriguing.