Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba may end HD DVD format - Correction it is now Official - HD-DVD is Dead

capncnut
    I can't see it taking over DVD sales, no. DVD's have been around since 1994 or so, it's far too established to be threatened by another format and the technology isn't that old yet.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    So you're saying theres a chance that Blu Ray may get scrapped as well? That would be nice....no pointless upgrades for me.

sony's batting 0-1 right now in the new format department

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    FYI Guys,

for those of you with huge HD-DVD collections that are keeping them you might want to consider a back-up player in case yours goes dead down the road. You know a player to keep stored away until you need it.

If you only have 1-10 HD-DVD's you are probably just better off selling the discs and the players, but if you have a massive collection, like I do (100+ discs and counting) this maybe something you want to look into.

On Amazon.Com, through their partner sellers, Tiger Direct has the top of the line HD-A35 (1080P/24P unit) for $169.00 with Free Shipping. Circuit City is offering the HD-A3 (1080i model) for $99.99 and the HD-A30 (1080P Model) for $129.99. People ae firesaling them on eBay for anywhere from $75.00 and up used, and $89.00 and up new + S&H.

I don't know if HD-DVD will become like the Laser Disc where people trade discs, or sell working players for good money, but once Toshiba bails out in March that will be the end of the cheap HD-DVD players. LG and SAMSUNG are going to stay in the game, but their units sell for $799 and $999 respectively.

Also keep in mind the Toshiba HD-DVD players are some of the TOP upscaling units ont he market so even if you don't own HD-DVD movies getting one for your SD-DVD collection is a good buy as well.

Also of note, The HD-DVD association is still up and running and has no plans to shut down, so the format isn't completely dead dead, however with Toshiba out of the game that will pretty much be the end of HD-DVD by 4Q 2008.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*