Thread: George Romero = class act

Undisclosed

George Romero = class act

Just returned from the Texas Frightmare weekend in Dallas, the kick-off stop on the Night of the Living Dead 40th anniversary tour. I've been attending conventions all over the world since 1975--as a fan, a vendor and even as an organizer-- and while all the DEAD guests are very friendly and personable without exception, in my experience, nobody beats George Romero.

This man sat down each day at the start of the convention and did not move from his seat until every photo, poster or piece of memorabilia had been signed, until every hand had been warmly shaken, and until he had given at least a few minutes of his time to each and every fan among the hundreds that had patiently waited in line to meet him.

There were no breaks, no declining enthusiasm, not an inkling of ego or attitude. While tour management saw it fit to double all the guest signature prices since prior conventions just a few months earlier, George made sure that all had received their money's worth and then some. Anyone that felt even the least bit nervous meeting the legendary director was immediately put at ease by his unwavering grin and a funny comment.

I must also give mention to the wonderful Marilyn Eastman, whose accidental fall shortly after arriving in Dallas prevented her from attending both the Night of the Living Dead screening and the first day of the convention. Although injured and probably not at all comfortable, Marilyn braved the insanity of a crowded convention hall for most of Saturday in order to sign autographs and take photos with fans.

It's not the films or the box office successes, but this uncompromising display of goodwill towards others that truly defines a living legend and a class act. It's reassuring to know that we have chosen our heroes wisely.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    george a romero is my beatles.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Beautifully written DC....

I'd love to meet George, he seems like such a decent human being....I've not heard of one single person who hasn't enjoyed meeting or working with him. Props to George for continuing to defy convention!!!

United States
    I met George a few years ago at the Movieside Film Festival in Chicago.
    I brought all the DVD covers of his movies to sign. I must have had seven of them.
    It was already late in the evening and his wife was trying to get him to go get dinner at the restaurant next door. I told him if he didn't have time to sign them all, I would understand. He signed them all anyway and was even curious why I had different versions of the same movie. He didn't go to dinner until he had met everyone in line.
    Class act indeed.

Undisclosed
    I met him back at the 25th anniversary convention which had really huge lines and he patiently sat there and signed everything as well as posed for photos for hours. Nice to know he hasn't changed through the years. So many of these other "celebrities" who sign at conventions could learn a thing or two from how Romero treats the fans at these shows.

For that matter I found all of the NOTLD cast to be among the friendliest and most fan friendly I've seen at conventions.

United States
    The George you see behind the convention booth is the same George behind closed doors. I've had the privilege of having some sit down time w/ George over the years at various shows and different one on one scenarios and George is probably the nicest person you'd ever meet and he just happens to be a celebrity. He's never one to be like "yes you should bow to me because I make movies" Hes is just so humble and can't fathom why people still watch his movies to this day.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

It's not the films or the box office successes, but this uncompromising display of goodwill towards others that truly defines a living legend and a class act. It's reassuring to know that we have chosen our heroes wisely.
    Nicely put and well stated, brother!

Personally, I have had the honor of seeing George in person twice, and the privilege of speaking to him only once (Pittsburgh Comicon 04) Like the previous poster pointed out, George was humble, warm and gracious, and in spite of his rock star status he took time to speak with each and every person lined up to meet and get his autograph.

If I wasn't already a happily married dude, I might seriously give a lot of thought to the idea of proposing to Romero's daughter just so that I could have GAR as my Father-In-Law!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 18-Mar-2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Computer madness causing multiple redundant posts.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by tkane18 View Post
    It was already late in the evening and his wife was trying to get him to go get dinner at the restaurant next door. I told him if he didn't have time to sign them all, I would understand. He signed them all anyway and was even curious why I had different versions of the same movie.
    Aha! So it's YOUR fault they got divorced!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Is that right Romero is divorced?

United States
    I was wondering the same thing, since I did not see Christine with GAR when he made his appearance at the theater here in Los Angeles on opening weekend. Wondering if maybe Dubious might be able to shed some light on this- Was Christine with GAR in Texas? Does anyone know if it is true that George is no longer with Christine? Very sad if true.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Wondering if maybe Dubious might be able to shed some light on this- Was Christine with GAR in Texas?
    I inquired about Christine appearing at the Dallas show, and was informed that she and George are separated.

Undisclosed
    I inquired about Christine appearing at the Dallas show, and was informed that she and George are separated.
    That's surprising and sad to hear. I remember at the 25th convention I was looking at a large display of movie posters that a dealer was selling and she came up and started to look through them as well. We had a friendly talk and she was extremely pleasant.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    For the life of me I can't remember what exactly it was, but I seem to remember some sort of interview with Romero where he mentions his girlfriend. I believe it was around the time of Land being released. I remember it being brought up here on HPotD and we were all wondering. Anyone remember this or where the video is?

Anyway, I've never met Romero but I've always heard he's really polite and loves his fans. It's always fun meeting famous people when they don't act famous and actually appreciate the fan's enthusiasm. My favorite band 311 is a perfect example of this. When I talk to them, they're nice as can be and enjoy chatting it up for a minute, but i've seen other bands where they kind of snatch whatever you want signed out of your hand, sign it, give it back, and look like they want to scream "NEXT!".
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Mar-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    For the life of me I can't remember what exactly it was, but I seem to remember some sort of interview with Romero where he mentions his girlfriend. I believe it was around the time of Land being released. I remember it being brought up here on HPotD and we were all wondering. Anyone remember this or where the video is?
    Is this what you were thinking of -

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35671

Diary of the Dead - About half way down the page - he mentions trying different voices (my girlfriend, me, the producer...)

United States
    That is too sad. But Romero always was something of a rolling stone, and started dating Christine while in the process of divorcing wife #1. Still sad, though, since Christine always seemed so sweet.