Thread: Some info on uploading videos to Youtube and other video sites.

Being Attacked

United States

Some info on uploading videos to Youtube and other video sites.

I'm sure you've noticed that it's pretty much a crap shoot when trying to encode video to upload to youtube/myspace/aol video etc..

Well, no need to fear, help is here.

The problem is that youtube re-encodes your video using the sorensen codec which is crap.
    So if you encode your video locally(on your machine) with high compression settings, then youtube encodes it again with even more compression and by the time it gets viewed, the quality is such horse sh1t that all the detail is lost.

It looks bad on you, as if you created a crappy clip.
    Even though it might have been pristine 1080p HD video after you encoded it locally.
    The trick is to maximize the quality locally by calculating the proper data rate then encoding using the h.264(mp4) codec BEFORE you upload to youtube for them to butcher it.
    Sound difficult?
    Not really.

I have a link for you to visit that will show you the proper method of encoding for just that purpose.

YOUtube encoding

It's from a Final Cut user group, but the encoding can actually be done with any video editor or simply with Quicktime Pro.
    I'm not sure, but you might also be able to use basic quicktime to encode.
    However, anyone working with digital video REALLY should have a license for Quicktime Pro.
    It makes working with clips large and small so much easier because it contains the same import/export options that your editing app does and then some.
    It gives you a simple cut/copy & paste method for editing video and audio.
    No timeline editing features, but it does have some simple effects that are really simple to apply.
    I even use it to capture old VHS footage and convert it to digital.
    Then I can do anything I want with it.

QT Pro is only like $30 US. Well worth it!
    Quicktime Pro 7
    But if you really can't afford it, drop me a line and maybe I can help.

Actually any software that has the H.264 and/or MP4 codec will work the exact same way.
    You might have different settings though with a sub-standard video editor or utility.
    Just get QTPro, you'll be glad you did!
    <<<<<DISCLAIMER>>>>>
    My personality and opinions are a facade, carefully constructed to make everyone think that I believe any of this is real.

Undisclosed

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Very helpful!

Undisclosed
    I've been having that trouble with some footage that I loaded up to youtube.
    Compression is horrible. Even at 320x240. I uploaded the exact same footage/file on photobucket and it looks decent.

But photobucket limits it to 5 minutes.

Any other online sites that you can upload videos that are under 10 minutes like youtube but with better quality (like photobucket video)?
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 15-Apr-2008 at 08:12 AM.