PDA

View Full Version : Gary gygax, co creator of D & D, dead at 69

Danny
05-Mar-2008, 06:57 AM
http://kotaku.com/363660/gary-gygax-co+creator-of-dd-dead-at-69

Say what you want about dand d, i wasnt too big a fan myself, but his work affected everything from baord games to mmo's in the fantasy genre *raises a nerdy goblet or something* enjoy nerd heaven, i hear theres real chicks there dude, WITH BOOBS! :lol:

kortick
05-Mar-2008, 05:30 PM
Things heard after gary Gygax's Death;

“Quick! Someone cast Raise Dead!”

“In the next town, you meet a stranger named Barry Bygax.”

“Now who will lead our young people to Satan?”

“I wonder how they’ll divide up his XP.”

“Pallbearers, make a Bend Bars/Lift Gates roll.”

“When I heard, I cried 2d10 tears.”

“Heart condition? Wow, I always thought it’d be owlbears that got him.”

RIP Gary
I still have the original Monster Manual from 1981
wit your name on the cover.

capncnut
05-Mar-2008, 09:10 PM
“Quick! Someone cast Raise Dead!”
Classic! :lol:

Danny
05-Mar-2008, 10:22 PM
Couretesy of Gabe and Tycho. :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/gygax.jpg

clanglee
07-Mar-2008, 02:51 AM
So sad. I am a big dork from WAY back. So Gygax was like our king. He definitely put his mark on the world and influenced gaming heavily. Not to mention the resurgence of the fantasy genre and role playing video games. Gygax will be sorely missed.:(

Danny
07-Mar-2008, 06:35 AM
These things are on every site ive visited today -

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/2008-03-05.jpg

Kaos
07-Mar-2008, 11:36 AM
They are all over the net because of Gary's influence on gaming in general. Not only the father of roleplaying games, D&D influenced boardgames, card games, and video/computer games. His imagination influenced Western culture to a huge degree. D&D is iconic. RIP, Gary.

clanglee
08-Mar-2008, 12:35 AM
Yup, we dorks all think alike.:D

slickwilly13
10-Apr-2009, 03:05 PM
The other co-founder died.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30147390/?GT1=43001

Yojimbo
10-Apr-2009, 05:01 PM
I proudly rolled the dice with all of the other nerds back in the days before girlfriends and cars. Very sad news!

RIP Mr. Gygax!

AcesandEights
10-Apr-2009, 05:13 PM
It's been a horribly rough last year for RPG greats. Gygax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax), N. Robin Crossby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._Robin_Crossby) (of Harn fame), Keith 'Doc' Herber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Herber)(CoC and Chaosium alumnus) and now Dave Arneson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Arneson).

All cool people in my book. Doc even used to post fairly regularly over at yog-sothoth.com.

:(

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/540/540509/magic-memories-the-complete-history-of-dungeons-dragons-part-v--20040819072335632-000.jpg

http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/images/2008/07/26/4001harnmasterlarge.jpg

http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/TSR/TSR9172_500.jpeg

http://www.trof.nl/store/images/CHA/CHA%2023110.jpg

wayzim
11-Apr-2009, 02:02 AM
I proudly rolled the dice with all of the other nerds back in the days before girlfriends and cars. Very sad news!

RIP Mr. Gygax!

My own experiences with D & D totally weirded the rabid gamers of my acquantance when I told them who introduced me to it back in the 70's, my Dad.
We were all game freaks, the whole family, with killer rounds of Scrabble, Risk, Monopoly, etc, and one day he walked in with this packet of booklets and says "Hey, this is something different. "
Though it initially included Mom and my Younger Brother, eventually it was just Dad and I, taking turns running dungeons. If you thinking role playing is wacked on it's own, try playing against a Military Intelligence Officer, you gotta be on your toes when attempting an ultimate scenario on his party.
He used to keep detailed notes on all our campaigns, which family member was running a particular dungeon, and built up a world which would have rivaled anything WOW or EverQuest ever put out.
I sorta lost interest for a while after my ninth lvl thief bought it on the verge of becoming a grand master, with a keep and followers of his own. Fire Giants tossed him in a lava pit.
Dad turned to the early D&D computer games, Pool of Radiance, etc, and I did other stuff til I came back from the West Coast.
I got a new group of friends heavily into gaming and we did D&D, COC & a fun anti role playing game called Paranoia. (The Computer is Your Friend. )
Eventually we drifted away from all that, but not before running a kick ass role play we designed on the George Romero Zombie universe. The gag was that we played ourselves, with only stuff we would carry along on a camping trip. It was so intense that once a door slammed and everyone had a minor freak.

Thanks, Gary. May the Valhalla of Gamers Greet you in the Summerlands.

Wayne Z

strayrider
11-Apr-2009, 02:39 AM
I never was into D&D, so I really don't know who these dudes were. Role Playing was something that never interested me. However, for a few years in the late 70s to the early 80s I spent nearly every weekend in my local game shop playing tabletop MicroArmor, so I knew a great many people who were into the role playing thing. Great bunch of folks! (most of them at any rate, there were a few "weirdos" ... )

There was also at that time a series of Meta Games put out by a dude named Steve Jackson (Ogre, GEV, Chiton I, Rivets, etc.) Looking back now I can see where Mr. Jackson was probably influenced by these D&D creators and thus they were indirectly responsible for hours of my own entertainment.

Thanks to them for that! Rest easy gentlemen.

:D

-stray-

Mike70
11-Apr-2009, 02:47 AM
crappy news. i still roll the dice and have on and off for eons. at the present, i have a regular gaming group that gets together on sundays, indulges in herbal essences and plays.

strayrider
11-Apr-2009, 02:51 AM
crappy news. i still roll the dice and have on and off for eons. at the present, i have a regular gaming group that gets together on sundays, indulges in herbal essences and plays.

That being the case, you are a lucky man ... haven't seen my gaming friends for over 20 years ... and haven't "indulged" for at least 5 ...

-stray-

AcesandEights
11-Apr-2009, 02:52 AM
There was also at that time a series of Meta Games put out by a dude named Steve Jackson (Ogre, GEV, Chiton I, Rivets, etc.) Looking back now I can see where Mr. Jackson was probably influenced by these D&D creators and thus they were indirectly responsible for hours of my own entertainment.

Yup. Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games (http://www.sjgames.com/) fame (not to be confused with Steve Jackson from Games Workshop) is a vet in that particular hobby world (both tactical and roleplay gaming, actually).

<----- Proud gamer-geek.

strayrider
11-Apr-2009, 03:35 AM
Yup. Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games (http://www.sjgames.com/) fame (not to be confused with Steve Jackson from Games Workshop) is a vet in that particular hobby world (both tactical and roleplay gaming, actually).

Ah, another Steve Jackson fan.

I recall many a Friday, or Saturday night watching Dawn of the Dead at the midnight movies followed by an all night gaming adventure somewhere in Jackson's world(s). GEV was always a favorite.

-stray-

MoonSylver
11-Apr-2009, 03:41 AM
Ah, another Steve Jackson fan.

I recall many a Friday, or Saturday night watching Dawn of the Dead at the midnight movies followed by an all night gaming adventure somewhere in Jackson's world(s). GEV was always a favorite.

-stray-

http://www.goingfaster.com/ogre/Winch3.jpg

Ah...the Ogre Mk V, who couldn't love an intelligent cyber tank w/ an AI personality & enough firepower to level an entire armor company....:D

strayrider
11-Apr-2009, 04:18 AM
http://www.goingfaster.com/ogre/Winch3.jpg

Ah...the Ogre Mk V, who couldn't love an intelligent cyber tank w/ an AI personality & enough firepower to level an entire armor company....:D

You know, we only used the Ogres in a few scenarios, preferring instead to have more conventional battles using the basic units. I always went GEV heavy with my forces, while my gaming partner (who now lives in Sarah Palinland) was into the heavy tanks. Between the two of us we owned multiple copies of both games (Ogre/GEV) and made our own maps from blank hex sheets ... made for epic battles.

-stray-

shootemindehead
14-Apr-2009, 10:24 PM
Never got into D+D, have to say.............loved "Call of Cthulhu" though. But he had nothing to do with that of course.

clanglee
14-Apr-2009, 10:51 PM
The other co-founder died.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30147390/?GT1=43001

Awww man. I am getting old now when my childhood heroes start dyin' off this fast.

Mr.G
15-Apr-2009, 01:48 AM
RIP Dave. Your ideas spawned countless weekends that were some of the best of my life. Of course I could go without the lifelong addiction to cheetos and mt. dew...

clanglee
15-Apr-2009, 10:44 PM
I was downloading the Uldumar Patch for WOW, and noticed that the new patch was dedicated to Dave. Classy touch on Blizzard's part. Giving props where props are due.

Mike70
02-May-2009, 03:34 AM
"i've called you all here to show you just what a geek i really am."

my gaming group is starting over this sunday. level one characters and all. i am one of those old school fucks, i rarely, if ever, take a character beyond level 12 and almost never beyond 15. why? it gets real boring. a party of 15th level characters will vaporize most things they come up against, so you have no recourse but to throw more and more powerful monsters into the mix. that becomes real boring, real fast. i DM'd the last module and i was like "ok guys, last go around for these characters, this is getting ridiculous."

we've got a couple of newbies (virgins) signed on and a DM whose never DM'd before. it should be interesting but i still look forward to it as much as i ever have...

MoonSylver
02-May-2009, 03:39 AM

my gaming group is starting over this sunday. level one characters and all. i am one of those old school fucks, i rarely, if ever, take a character beyond level 12 and almost never beyond 15. why? it gets real boring. a party of 15th level characters will vaporize most things they come up against, so you have no recourse but to throw more and more powerful monsters into the mix. that becomes real boring, real fast. i DM'd the last module and i was like "ok guys, last go around for these characters, this is getting ridiculous."

we've got a couple of newbies (virgins) signed on and a DM whose never DM'd before. it should be interesting but i still look forward to it as much as i ever have...

Made. Of. Awesome. ;)

clanglee
02-May-2009, 03:53 AM

Very nice man. My gaming group has been really busy recently. It's been hard to get everyone together for an afternoon. I miss the all night sessions fueled by beer, weed, mountaindew, and cornnuts.

Mike70
02-May-2009, 04:00 AM
Very nice man. My gaming group has been really busy recently. It's been hard to get everyone together for an afternoon. I miss the all night sessions fueled by beer, weed, mountaindew, and cornnuts.

we get together on sundays at about 6 pm because everyone can make it then. we usually go until about 10:30 or so. i don't usually drink during sessions because i am constantly being asked questions (i've been doing this since like 1983 or so and because i have like 35 miles to drive home) but will liberally take part in the peace pipe, moutaindew and any junk food available (or ordered).

AcesandEights
02-May-2009, 04:26 AM
my gaming group is starting over this sunday.

Goddamn, I'm jealous :dead:

Mike70
05-May-2009, 01:22 AM
the dice were as cold as a frost giant's balls last night, friends and neighbors. and i do mean cold. worst. gaming. session. ever. 4 hours of game play and my take: 3 frickin goblins and about 8 zombies turned. fookin' ghastly.

clanglee
05-May-2009, 02:43 AM
ick!! that's a slow game for sure. Better luck next time man.

Ahhh. . .I wonder if a D&D cleric could turn Romero zombies? . . . . . .hmmmm

Mike70
05-May-2009, 03:05 AM
Ahhh. . .I wonder if a D&D cleric could turn Romero zombies? . . . . . .hmmmm

funny you mention this because i almost always play a cleric. i've wondered about this myself. would a romero zombie respond to a holy symbol? i don't think so.

ick!! that's a slow game for sure. Better luck next time man.

no biggie really. here's to hoping the dice will be hot when needed.

AcesandEights
05-May-2009, 03:22 AM
Did I just imagine someone asked about fav character classes earlier (I'm looking at you, Scip!)? 'Cause I was totally going to answer that question :p

In regards to your off evening of play the other night, Scip...well, it happens. Sometimes when the table is being set for adventure (and you're all meeting in that tavern for the very first time :dead:) it takes a while to get a proper serving of combat.

Though, I recall a massive melee that ensued when a few parties came together to form the gaming nucleus of my longest running AD&D campaign...and that was great. It involved someone being thrown through a shopkeepers window...for no good reason, the upset character critically fumbling his retributive Chromatic orb cast (needed a combat roll for that spell to hit!) and killing a passerby in the middle of town, some dual-wielding barbarian and assassin (I did mention this was a 2E, post-Drizzt era, didn't I?) going crazy and slaughtering town guardsmen while the smart ones in the group were breaking & entering a random multistory building to escape to the rooftops and hide whilst watching the carnage unfold below.

It was a great, crucible-group-forging moment :p

Mike70
05-May-2009, 03:29 AM
Did I just imagine someone asked about fav character classes earlier (I'm looking at you, Scip!)? 'Cause I was totally going to answer that question :p

yep. mine is cleric. powerful spells and being able to kick ass in melee attacks is why i have always gravitated toward it.

In regards to your off evening of play the other night, Scip...well, it happens. Sometimes when the table is being set for adventure (and you're all meeting in that tavern for the very first time :dead:) it takes a while to get a proper serving of combat.

ah well, i got to help out the new guys a bit. like explaining to them that the paladin in our group will kill them for stepping out of line - no questions asked; a bit of a story but i and another old timer had to defuse a dispute between our paladin and some characters of neutral alignment. we had to explain that neutral doesn't mean "don't give a fuck about anyone else."

AcesandEights
05-May-2009, 03:32 AM
Well, when I was a second edition nut, my fav would probably have to have been fighter. I min maxed the shit of some fighters in my day and had my fav character as a fighter in a nice homebrew setting. I played a few others, of course, and loved rogues and specialty priests. Another fav was a dual-classed Necromancer/Priestess to a god of undeath...that character had a ton of versatility.

For third edition, I finally got a try at a mage, but the campaign didn't last too long :(

I have to say, though, of all the D&D/AD&D character classes, I have to probably respect the 2nd edition mage, as one of, if not the, most difficult class to game up to fruition from 1st level. I don't know how people played them at the lower levels, talk about patience!

Mike70
05-May-2009, 03:38 AM
Well, when I was a second edition nut, my fav would probably have to have been fighter. I min maxed the shit of some fighters in my day and had my fav character as a fighter in a nice homebrew setting. I played a few others, of course, and loved rogues and specialty priests. Another fav was a dual-classed Necromancer/Priestess to a god of undeath...that character had a ton of versatility.

For third edition, I finally got a try at a mage, but the campaign didn't last too long :(

I have to say, though, of all the D&D/AD&D character classes, I have to probably respect the 2nd edition mage, as one of, if not the, most difficult class to game up to fruition from 1st level. I don't know how people played them at the lower levels, talk about patience!

yeah, the mage is a bitch to play at lower levels. anyone who blows on you hard can knock you out. but once you build it up, holy fuck. the dude who is playing the mage this time around in my gaming group is an old timer, so he knows what he's getting into. if i were DMing, i wouldn't even let a first timer play a mage. like i said, i almost always play clerics because of the combination of powerful spells and kick ass melee ability.

clanglee
05-May-2009, 03:48 AM
p

I always liked Rangers and theives myself, but my favorite and longest played character is a Barbarian Shaman (Uthgart, 2nd edit. Forgotton Realms) Gunar is just fun to roleplay, but he got a bit boring, it sucks to have to fear magic. Even at higher levels my DM would not let me grow out of that one fully, so there was a big nay/no to most magic items. Which is a shame, I love collecting magic items. :(

Oh and as for mages. . . .yeah. . . difficult as all fuck for the first few levels. If you can live to level 7 and beyond tho. . . . a force to be reckoned(sp?) with. The best way to go about a mage is to Elminster it, Dual class like crazy. Fighter first for the HP, and Mage last for the Power!!

Mike70
01-Nov-2009, 03:55 AM
a bit of thread necromancy.

almost 6 months in and the campaign is still rippin'. my friend who is DMing wrote this thing from scratch and it has turned epic (in scope not level). i think that his decision to put us on a "holy quest" to prevent one of the evil gods from gaining dominion over faerun, hit the nail on the head as far as an extended campaign goes.

when my character had an encounter with a baelnorn, who put us on our present path, i was sold. i've been playing this for eons and i just turned to my friend and said, "best. D&D moment. ever."

not many folks are ballsy enough or clever enough to use a baelnorn in a campaign and pull it off.

AcesandEights
02-Nov-2009, 01:38 PM
almost 6 months in and the campaign is still rippin'.

Lucky bastard :rant:

It's great when a DM can deliver, eh? Good luck on keeping it running. How often did you say you guys get to play?

Mike70
03-Nov-2009, 01:47 PM
Lucky bastard :rant:

It's great when a DM can deliver, eh? Good luck on keeping it running. How often did you say you guys get to play?

sundays, mostly every week. sometimes every other week depending on schedules.

clanglee
06-Nov-2009, 07:37 AM
Since my uncle, who got me into D&D in the first place, passed away this year, our group has slowly been getting further and further apart in our playing times. I think it's more of a schedule thing than his death, but that ain't helped. We aren't playing DnD right now anyhoo, it's Heroes, which is a really neat game.