PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering???

lifelikecarcass
05-Mar-2008, 08:01 PM
Is everyone pretty much set in their ways as far as the technical side of filming is concerned?
Meaning, you'd rather not have to learn more or make changes to workflow if it isn't absolutely necessary?
Or are there some here who seek to become much more technically proficient with their tools, and are always trying new things and looking at other apps?

Because I notice that Vegas seems to be the app of choice, and nobody ever talks about compositing or FX apps/techniques.
Comp/FX apps go hand in hand with editing, and basically make the footage you edit together much more polished and professional looking.
I realize this isn't a film forum in itself, but there is this film makers section and nobody is really ever discussing anything.

It's always just "here's my contest entry" or "here's my short film" or "stills from my latest project", but questions or comments relating to those films/shorts/stills are never responded to, and nobody ever seems to provide any new information for the good of the other members.
Or partake in any worthwhile discussion relating to any of it.

So what's that all about?
I mean, the works I've seen seem pretty decent, so it's not like nobody has any knowledge.
The only background info ever offered up really is what camera was used, and that's usually only if someone asks.
If anyone here makes it as far as a film festival, you're gonna be expected to provide more information about the production of your project than just what camera was used.

Big productions document the entire process, and you end up seeing articles from numerous sources talking about the trials and tribulations of making that film.
Doesn't anyone here find that stuff interesting?
Or does everyone think that what camera you own is the most important thing?
Like talking about what car you own, or videogame system?

I just don't get it.

Mike70
05-Mar-2008, 08:23 PM
which particular clips, etc. are you referring to when you say no one responds?

i think if you search through some of the the threads in DJs forum you will find quite a bit of discussion on the stuff he puts up. likewise in kris' forum you will also find a bit of discussion and questions answered about his work.

i know that there have been troll dicks in the past who simply put up comments to be nasty and i don't blame anyone for not responding to such nonsense.

i have found that when i put up comments about the film work posted here, i generally do get a response. this maybe for a few reasons:

a. i have been talking to some these folks for years on here.
b. i don't act like a dick in my comments and when i do have something critical to say, i make sure that i'm not sounding like an ass when i put it out there.
c. i understand that an amateur film isn't going to sound like it was written by dalton trumbo, look like it was photographed by sven nykvist, or be directed like it was done by ingmar bergman.
d. all of the above.

Danny
05-Mar-2008, 10:01 PM
man, youve really got a chip on your shoulder about peoples posting choices in this section lately huh?
The whoel point of filmmaking is A: self expression or B: shameless whoring, id like to prefer most people on here go for the former and as such are entitled to go about posting there work, and revealing what they choose when they so wish to do so.

lifelikecarcass
07-Mar-2008, 12:35 AM
man, youve really got a chip on your shoulder about peoples posting choices in this section lately huh? I guess so, I don't know.

At this point I'm just throwing stuff out there to see what will actually get a reply from people.

I guess this section is just as dead as the dead themselves for the most part, and I just refuse to accept that.

Maybe I'm just used to people being more enthusiastic and forthcoming with information, and actively seeking input regarding their work that goes beyond just "good job".
And I guess I expected to see people dissecting each others ideas, and offering input about how to improve.

I'll just have to deal with the fact that the action around here is in the dead discussion forum, where everyone is discussing Romeros films themselves.

capncnut
07-Mar-2008, 01:04 AM
Anytime I try to spark a discussion or make a suggestion about anything, the thread dies.
I try to ask questions about peoples software choices, or workflows, and it never goes anywhere.
I make some light critique on someones contests entries, and nobody replies.
I ask questions about the technical details of some stills someone posted, and the thread dies.
I've noticed you joined less than a month ago. When I first came here, it took a bit longer than that until
people felt comfortable enough with my presence. Communities can be like that, while they will embrace any new member, it takes time (and many a thought provoking post) until the replies come flying in thick and fast. Because you join a forum, it doesn't mean the forum have to answer everything you post by default. Complaining about it will not help either and nor will pouncing on new members as they introduce
themselves. :rolleyes:

Also, I have noticed that your threads/replies aren't exactly as dead as you make out. Just because nobody wants to talk about them forever doesn't mean you're being ignored. Sheesh, if you think it's dead in here, just pop your head into the merchandise section. There's an echo in there.

Danny
07-Mar-2008, 06:26 AM
plus in hindsight, especially in england its still freezing, theres hardly any location worth filming at this time of year unless you want something set in winter, wich doesnt happen to often since cold can bugger up tapes, i should know.

lifelikecarcass
07-Mar-2008, 06:47 PM
Complaining about it will not help either and nor will pouncing on new members as they introduce
themselves. Oh well.
I'm over it.
It's back to discussing physics and material properties for me.
At least it's lively, and the people there recognize an opportunity to learn from someone who has something to offer, and people don't clam up when you use unfamiliar terms.

This board is the only place I've ever experienced this.
Other boards I go to or have gone to, people don't have to "warm up to you".
If you offer up information, and people can see you know what you're talking about, that's all that matters.
Well, that's not totally true now that I think of it.
I went to FearNET awhile back.
Although they're more welcoming, they don't value information too highly either.

I don't really know why I'm surprised that this is the case, it's a horror film site.
Nothing but average folks.

DjfunkmasterG
12-Mar-2008, 11:55 AM
The whole point of filmmaking is A: self expression or B: shameless whoring

Ok, I admit... my filmmaking is all about shameless whoring. :D

In response to the OP. I don't use many FX apps, mainly because I don't have the time or patience to be dicking around with something as complicated as Adobe After FX, and since I live in Wash. DC, technical film crew doesn't come cheap so I am forced to use or learn easier apps like FXLabs pro by FXhome.

Adobe takes a solid 2-3 weeks to learn and assemble even something as simple as blood spray, with FX lab you can do it in 15 minutes. Although I use it mainly for muzzle flashing.

As far as technique, I think anyone who has seen Deadlands, and has watched some of the clips from my upcoming flick Trapped would definitely say I have changed technique... and style.

My goal is to make a career out of it, so Trapped is my next attempt at showing the suits that yes I can make a decent movie... so give me $5 million dollars so I can make the version of Deadlands I have always wanted.

C5NOTLD
12-Mar-2008, 11:36 PM
Is everyone pretty much set in their ways as far as the technical side of filming is concerned?
Meaning, you'd rather not have to learn more or make changes to workflow if it isn't absolutely necessary?

Constantly learning no matter how many years you have done it is part of the process. My attitude is whatever works and gets the story told is what you do.

I edit with Newteks VT and use Lightwave 3D which has two separate programs Modeler (where you prepare by creating and surfacing objects) and layout which is where you take the objects into a scene and animate, Photoshop, Aura.. I stopped using Maya and switched to Lightwave 3D after seeing what the animation program can do and love it. Besides animation it's great for compositing.

I also use Aura (basically a photoshop type product for video).
While using it I discovered that it's very helpful in creating mattes.

S&Dproductions
16-Mar-2008, 10:49 PM
I've found, by doing online research on film is that no one wants to give away all their little secrets. Some film makers will only talk about the technical aspect, and some will spend hours talking about plot aspects, acting, and overall building the film as a whole dramaticly. And of course, some may rattle on about nothing.
As a whole you have to pick and choose what works for you and what pertains to the film you're doing.
As an independent film maker myself who has nothing realy under my belt, I never stop learning. The amount of time actualy shooting a film I have spent are small. Most film makers may get a chance to do a film every 5 years. That's big budget film makers. Indie guys probably get less because of the budgets. Or more depending apon budgets. I don't know the exact statistics.
For this information, digging is neccasery. You may pick-up a link or some fun tips, but deep discussions on technique are usualy on a need to know basis. It's like asking a doctor how to perform brain surgery. You realy need some sort of hands on experience to realy gain knowledge.
I watch alot of films with the commentary on. You pick-up alot of good information through DVD extras including featurettes.

Danny
16-Mar-2008, 10:59 PM
nowadays ive noticed that since ive gotten serious about filmmaking, especially since studying it at college and now university, that i will pick at every film i watch meticulously "oooh, how did they do that" or "thats a great special effect, how could i do something like that" yknow?

i think the only films ive watched with the commentary on are deadlands, shaun of the dead, and a good 10 comedy movies.

not a big commentary fan but you do learn a lot.

MinionZombie
17-Mar-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm a big special features fan, I pour over those, sometimes re-watching certain extras multiple times. I pause them and look at the equipment, or to figure out other details, I also listen to a lot of commentaries. Sometimes for entertainment, sometimes for information.

There's a great technical commentary on the special edition of Se7en, by the way.

Also with extras I pay attention to how the directors deal with their crew and cast especially, seeing what works or what doesn't work and trying to store that in the old memory bank for future use. Extensive DVD features also leave you with no illusions about a film set being magical or that things happen quickly, so it opens your eyes more without you having to do anything but sit on your arse. Yes there's a difference between watching it and doing it, but it's still very useful to acknowledge.

Like the DVD for Soul Searcher, a film that was made in my county (a shame I didn't know of it during production, really :( ... although I was at uni on the other side of the country at the time) ... anyway, on the DVD for that it paints a complete picture of the troubled production and what sorta sh*t can happen on an indie film - so it's all good to see and learn from...at the very least you can anticipate such things or deal with them better.

The key hellsing, as someone who's been through the film school thing myself, is to be able to disconnect from your film school-ness. At the start I couldn't watch films in the same way, but I forced myself to try and separate 'professional viewing' from 'normal viewing' ... or sometimes a hybrid ... 'pro-normal viewing'. :D

Also, just thinking about it, it's good to know at least a little about Psychology and/or Sociology - it helps with understanding people, and filmmaking is about people a lot of the time. So I can use my Sociology A-Level! :)

Danny
17-Mar-2008, 02:08 PM
heh, i wanted to take pyshcology as well but was told "what would a filmmaker need to know about emotion" :rolleyes: so i was forced to take media instead.
My favourite self created notion when working with a group is just when they think your about to yell action for the first time, yell somethign incredibly filthy, you get a shock, a laugh and then everyones in a better mood for all laughing together, simple but it really works.

MinionZombie
17-Mar-2008, 06:41 PM
I like that idea of yelling something 'norty' before saying cut. :p

"Oi, Gordon Brahnsa c*ntbag!" ... "ACTION!" :D (couldn't resist)

With my mates I tend to replace "action" with "go" and "cut" with "cool". :p

C5NOTLD
17-Mar-2008, 10:17 PM
heh, i wanted to take pyshcology as well but was told "what would a filmmaker need to know about emotion" :rolleyes: so i was forced to take media instead..

The #1 class you should take if you are going to film school is business law.

Knowing how to protect your work and the hard efforts of your cast/crew is the single most important point you could learn and unfortunately film schools don't stress it enough. I took my film classes at USC and later took business law. By far one of the best decisions I ever made and it has been helpful at various times including filing a lawsuit against a distributor for copyright infringement.