PDA

View Full Version : They're moving it around the country...

RJ_Sevin
07-Mar-2008, 08:06 PM
DIARY opened today in New Orleans. This leads me to believe that they're moving their prints around the US (it's on 47 screens as of the 5th)-- kind of an old fashioned practice. I'm still in California, but may try to catch it one more time when I get home. We saw it on a very small screen (no larger than 12 feet across) at a cool arthouse theater. Might be cool to see it on a mega-sized AMC screen...

Mike70
07-Mar-2008, 08:16 PM
looks like you could be right about this one RJ.

there are new showings in indianapolis and bloomington, IN this weekend too.

bassman
07-Mar-2008, 08:19 PM
Good. Maybe this will give everyone a chance to see it.

And end the whining:D...

Danny
07-Mar-2008, 08:28 PM
forgive my squirelly ignorance but hasnt that bene the way with more low end budgeted movies since forever?

DubiousComforts
07-Mar-2008, 08:47 PM
forgive my squirelly ignorance but hasnt that bene the way with more low end budgeted movies since forever?
True, though that usually applies to foreign or independent films that only have a handful of available prints. It's surprising that DIARY has lasted this long theatrically. Typically, if a film doesn't make a billion dollars in the first week, good luck trying to find it thereafter.

RJ_Sevin
07-Mar-2008, 09:20 PM
Given the lack of promotion and limited number of screens, it's having a pretty healthy run -- far healthier than that of THE SIGNAL, which may have had more screens. (I've heard 200 but have not been able to confirm it.)

I honestly can't remember the last time a movie of this type was rolled out in such a manner. It's the way things were done back in the 70s/early 80s, before the mega-plexes and the home video market killed the indie theater market.

With any luck, it'll spend the next few months travelling the US.

DubiousComforts
07-Mar-2008, 09:25 PM
Given the lack of promotion and limited number of screens, it's having a pretty healthy run -- far healthier than that of THE SIGNAL, which may have had more screens. (I've heard 200 but have not been able to confirm it.)
Could be that George Romero really is a legendary filmmaker. :D