PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding a 6" fan and my Xbox AV cable...

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2008, 12:47 PM
So I got a little fan to sit behind my 360 to help keep the temperature constant, rather than having it warm up and cool down all the time (although it only gets to 26c at most).

However, the fan is quite close to the box, and therefore the AV cable. When the fan is on, it must be interfering with the signal in the AV cable because the image comes through wobbly. Turn it off, the image is stable again.

What's that about? Why is that happening?

With limited space to move things around, is there a safe way to project the AV cable, the insulate it if you will, from the fan's interference?

Help please! :stunned:

SymphonicX
08-Mar-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm no expert on this, and unfortunately my manager who is indeed an expert on cable shielding isn't in today....but this interferance is something you'd expect from putting a high voltage appliance next to a cable that's specifically designed to translate voltage into signals....I may be entirely wrong there, I'm just working from the logic of what I've seen here at Sky.

Now as for a solution - I'm stumped...maybe you can look into buying some sort of shielding for your cable, but personally if I was you I'd be re-working the set up to stick the AV cable somewhere else...but seriously, have you replaced your xbox already from over heating? The way I see it, is that if your xbox overheats and breaks, that's a fault in the product and shouldn't mean you spend £££s buying fans and stuff to help it maintain a certain temp - if its still in warranty I'd just wait til it burns out and get a replacement if I was you...bear in mind having it on a carpet compared to a wood floor or TV stand can make all the difference...!

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2008, 03:28 PM
It was fixed, still my console, but a new motherboard was put in. I just wanted a fan on it to maintain a constant temperature so I wouldn't have to be bothered getting it fixed again if it happened in another 9 months or whatever.

Ah mate, rejig my whole damn entertainment centre for a f*cking fan...ugh.

Still, wasn't expensive, a tenner or something like that.