PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Bowling Green, Kentucky?

Chic Freak
10-Mar-2008, 05:14 PM
My dad's moving to Bowling Green, Kentucky next month for work, so naturally I'll be popping over as soon as I have a chance to "help him settle in" (read: get a free holiday) ;)

I'm hoping to get internal flights from there to various places in the US and sort of do a little tour, but is there anything in Kentucky itself that I shouldn't miss? All I really know about it is that it is presumably where KFC comes from! I'm sure I could dig up some tourist information on Google but I thought it might be nice to hear from someone who's actually lived there :)

axlish
10-Mar-2008, 06:28 PM
I've been there once to see George A. Romero speak. It has an interesting stadium, it is only a half stadium, but the half is huge. You'll see. John Carpenter the horror filmmaker is from there. Honestly, it is beautiful country. When you go, make a side trip to Nashville, Tennessee. It is about an hour south of there, straight shot on the interstate. There is tons to do there and it is a beautiful, clean city.

Chic Freak
10-Mar-2008, 06:56 PM
Isn't Nashville famous for its country music? Anyway, I'll check it out. I won't have a car when I'm over there but I hear the Greyhound buses are cheap? I think I'd prefer to take the bus anyway, that way I can look out the window and see the countryside more.

axlish
10-Mar-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes, it is where the Country Music Hall of Fame is, as well as The Grand Ole Opry (old and new), but is more of a music industry town. We were there on a random day and were treated to tons of free entertainment including Tennessee Titans training camp and an Arron Neville concert. Not my cup of tea but at least it was free and there appears to be stuff like that happening all the time. It was a very festive atmosphere.

Memphis on the other hand, check out Graceland and get outta town quick!

C5NOTLD
10-Mar-2008, 09:16 PM
All I can add is when I went there for a visit- went to The National Corvette museum and assembly plant
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/ :cool: Even some friends who are not car nuts went and enjoyed it.

And Mammoth Cave (longest cave in the world) was pretty amazing to see. I'm sure they have a website.

Chic Freak
10-Mar-2008, 10:09 PM
We were there on a random day and were treated to tons of free entertainment including Tennessee Titans training camp and an Arron Neville concert. Not my cup of tea but at least it was free and there appears to be stuff like that happening all the time.

Yes, I'm really not a fan of 99.9% of country music, but it would be cool to see some 'proper' stuff if I didn't have to pay for it ;)

All I can add is when I went there for a visit- went to The National Corvette museum and assembly plant
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/ :cool: Even some friends who are not car nuts went and enjoyed it.

And Mammoth Cave (longest cave in the world) was pretty amazing to see. I'm sure they have a website.

I might swerve the car factory, but the cave sounds awesome! I love caves.

kortick
11-Mar-2008, 01:53 AM
You might get to see this if you go to kentucky
its called a redneck wedding
the bride and groom are probably related

also you asked about twinkies before...well there they are

second level from bottom, the yellow tube things
1st-cup cakes 2nd-twinkies 3rd-yodels 4th-ring dings
all the redneck staples

heel doggies!!

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/940.jpg

Minerva_Zombi
11-Mar-2008, 06:44 AM
im from hopkinsville, ky which is about an hour and a half away from bowling green. but, if you're a halloween fan, russellville is about 30 minutes away, bowling green is in warren county, and if you want to see the hospital where john carpenter got the idea for michael myers, western state hospital is in hopkinsville. lol. otherwise, theres the jefferson davis monument in fairview. mammoth cave. umm... the mall in bowling green is pretty nice. kentuckys not as "redneck" as people give us **** for. some parts are very rural but, if you want redneck try mississippi, arkansas, or alabama.

Danny
11-Mar-2008, 07:53 AM
or alabama.

from what ive seen in that episode of top gear were there stoned out of the state for writing "nascar sucks" and "man love rules okay" and "vote hilary" im inclined to agree. :lol:

Chic Freak
11-Mar-2008, 05:42 PM

Wow, that is the most depressing wedding cake I've ever seen :stunned:

from what ive seen in that episode of top gear were there stoned out of the state for writing "nascar sucks" and "man love rules okay" and "vote hilary" im inclined to agree. :lol:

Ooh ooh, now I want to drive through Alabama in a big pink bus, Priscilla Queen of the Desert style, with some fun-loving gay transvestite motown cabaret performers :D

But then I wanted to do that anyway. It doesn't have to be Alabama :shifty:

Ooh ooh, now I want to drive through Alabama in a big pink bus, Priscilla Queen of the Desert style, with some fun-loving gay transvestite motown cabaret performers :D

Minerva_Zombi
11-Mar-2008, 07:44 PM
see, alabama is so white trash, i drove through it once on my way to florida ands i saw a guy mowing his yard. but the ploblem was that he didn't have any grass. it was all dirt. lol. no lie.

kortick
11-Mar-2008, 08:50 PM
I guess he was what you'd call
a dirt farmer then huh?

sweet home alabama
where the sky is so blue
and the grass is dead and the neighbor
is making a big dust cloud by running his power mower over it....

C5NOTLD
11-Mar-2008, 09:51 PM
If you get a chance go to Louisville KY - not that far.
They have the now abandoned (open for tourists) and very haunted Waverly Hills Sanatorium. The place is huge. Do a google search.

Skippy911sc
12-Mar-2008, 04:36 PM
You might get to see this if you go to kentucky
its called a redneck wedding
the bride and groom are probably related

also you asked about twinkies before...well there they are

second level from bottom, the yellow tube things
1st-cup cakes 2nd-twinkies 3rd-yodels 4th-ring dings
all the redneck staples

heel doggies!!

Don't mean to sound like I am correcting you but I think you have this cake picture all wrong...

It is CupCakes
Twinkies
Ho-hos
Then Ding Dongs

All Hostess products...I could be incorrect if there is some generic equivalent. I don;t know about you guys but that is a cake that in most circumstances tastes better than many wedding cakes I have had the pleasure to partake in.

;)

Chic Freak
12-Mar-2008, 08:07 PM
If you get a chance go to Louisville KY - not that far.
They have the now abandoned (open for tourists) and very haunted Waverly Hills Sanatorium. The place is huge. Do a google search.

That place looks badass! I'm taking my camera. Thanks for that!

Chic Freak
14-Mar-2008, 09:24 AM
I had to post this... in the theme of scary wedding pictures...

http://www.mingers.com/photos/week/Weddingoftheyear3.jpg

Mike70
14-Mar-2008, 02:31 PM
the bourbon region of kentucky is really cool. it is the area around bardstown. there is a super cool train tour you can take of the whole region. the area around lexington is very nice as well and if you are into horses there are a huge amount of things to do/see in the lexington area.