PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for mac users

Danny
13-Mar-2008, 12:22 AM
So my studetn laon should be all done by this time in 2 weeks, and rather than blow it on a tempting ps3 and wii and other crap im after a decent computer to do my work on, now i can afford this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/fgh.jpg

Its what ive been using to edit my videos ive been doing at uni and its overall just a great machine, but my question is this, what comes on it if you buy it from apple?, the ones at school have programs like garage band, adobe premier pro and the like that have really helped step up my game and id hate to spend 2 grand and then find i aint got the sowftware i want yknow?

PJoseph
14-Mar-2008, 06:26 PM
Hellsing -

good choice up there -

When you say the computers at school have that software - I'm guessing you mean the ones in your lab, NOT if you BUY them at school....yes?

When you buy a computer out of the box through Apple - it comes with OSX and the iLife programs -

iWeb
iDVD
iTunes
iPhoto
iMovie (new version is crap apparently)
Garageband

You won't get any other software like Final Cut Studio or Adobe Suites - HOWEVER, the education discount in the states gets something like 50% off software - so, you can budget it all with the education discount where you live if they offer that and see what you can afford. (Hardware through the discount isn't that great - software is very good).

You might be able to ask your teachers to allow you to install their discs on your machine - they might not care.

pJ

GingeUK
15-Mar-2008, 11:18 AM
The educational software and hardware discount is better than nothing PJ :D It might also be an idea to see if you could buy your machine through the university as they might have an account with Apple which enables you to get an ever bigger discount. It might also be an idea to look into people you know who own or work for a business as you might be able to aquire one without paying tax on it.

Danny
15-Mar-2008, 12:21 PM
actually ive got a freind who works in I.T and for 700 i can get the highest end i-mac there is, it doesnt have the 8 cores the mac pro does but some of its other features outstrips the mac pro, but it still doesnt come with apremier pro, but at least i can afford a ticket to download then ;)

- just checked on the uk adobe website and theyve got a great student deal, for £400 you get every program they sell in one package, dreamweaver, flash, premier the works, but i can only afford that if i get an i mac and not a mac pro.

Danny
21-Mar-2008, 06:40 PM
i think for £1800 im getting the i-mac, its only one quad core less and its over £600 cheaper adn has a terrabyte hardrive and plenty of extras, and after the £400 student pack of every adobe package ill have 300 to spare to get some more stuff to assist in my learning, like maybe a firggin cheap mobile that will let conversations be more than one way....:mad:

PJoseph
21-Mar-2008, 09:14 PM
I think the iMac is a good computer - it will offer you plenty of flexibility for what you need.

Good choice going Mac!

pJ

MinionZombie
22-Mar-2008, 12:11 PM
Hellsing - mobile wise, you should get one of those pay-as-you-go dealies. I've got one, ideal. You use it when you want, and only pay for what you use. Contracts are a massive waste of money, I made that mistake for 3 years (cos I was too lazy to change). Wasted so much money when I look back.

Sure you have to buy the phone itself up front, but you can get one as cheap as fifty sheets/notes/squid/pahnds/whatever-takes-your-fancy. Trust me, you'll never get the most out of a contract, waste of money I say.

Go for pay-as-you-go (either getting those top ups, or setting up a Direct Debit - the latter being the easiest, cheapest way of having a mobile right now I'd say).

Bloody nora, terabyte...:eek::cool:

Now here's a question, are you as 'gay for' your upcoming Mac as I was/am with my DVX? :)

Danny
22-Mar-2008, 12:17 PM
not really, it just means i can get work done now, and with much more proffessional level stuff than the likes of movie maker.
as for the phone thing ive got an accoutn with orange, i just need a new one to put the sim in since my phone is right buggered, the numbers are worn off, the screens cracked, it doesnt ring half the time, then tells you youve missed a call today you answered 4 days ago, you can hear people tlak to you but the cant hear you ect, ect.
ie seen those neat motorazr v3's in a local electronics store for £40 i think im gonna get one of those.