PDA

View Full Version : Dawn and Day Blu-Ray Discs

DjfunkmasterG
13-Mar-2008, 01:13 PM
I own both of these on Blu, and while I think the transfer for Dawn is excellent, the Day transfer could have used a lot more work. Thankfully the Day was my freebie during the B2G1 free sale Amazon had last month. I was very disappointed in the Day transfer, even Halloween looks soft.

Maybe if these hit the the new HD format coming out in 4 weeks we can see a better release of Day. Yes kids, there is a new, well actually two new HD formats coming out.

DVD2 - from Toshiba, which is HD films on a standard DVD9 disc that uses the same red laser all regular dvd players have, and HD-VMD, a red laser format as well. If blu doesn't start getting cheaper... DVD2 could easily kick its ass, because it is standard DVD with 4 layers (24gb of space) and can do 1080P

bassman
13-Mar-2008, 01:22 PM
A new format? This late in the game? I don't see that working out too well...

axlish
13-Mar-2008, 02:17 PM
I have the Dawn Bluray but I don't have anything to play it on. Dawn has a knack for going OOP for years at a stretch so I went ahead and did a preemptive strike.

Day looking like crap isn't suprising. I think due to the low lighting conditions, it'll never look pristine.

Andy
13-Mar-2008, 02:24 PM
DJ.. accept it... blu-ray won.

Zombill
13-Mar-2008, 04:15 PM
DJ.. accept it... blu-ray won.

Unfortunately Dj is right on the money here fellaz, Blu-Ray in just a few weeks will be a thing of the past

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versatile_Multilayer_Disc

Check it out if you don't believe us.

http://www.nmeinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=63

bassman
13-Mar-2008, 04:35 PM
He was also pretty certain that HD DVD would win.:lol:

axlish
13-Mar-2008, 04:40 PM
The following statement removes all interest in HD VMD

"The HD VMD format supports up to 7.1-channel Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS audio output, though it will not offer Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound codecs."

DubiousComforts
13-Mar-2008, 04:48 PM
I have the Dawn Bluray but I don't have anything to play it on.
Rip it to your hard drive--perfectly legal since you own the disc and it's for your own private use. It looks incredible, even on 17" monitor.

axlish
13-Mar-2008, 07:52 PM
can you rip a bluray on a dvd-rom?

DubiousComforts
14-Mar-2008, 05:52 PM
AnyDVD-HD supports Blu-Ray, though I haven't tried it myself.

Zombill
14-Mar-2008, 11:57 PM
The following statement removes all interest in HD VMD

"The HD VMD format supports up to 7.1-channel Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS audio output, though it will not offer Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound codecs."

Well then I guess we all may as well just get some mineral water and sit in a fricking dark closet and eat some fricking health stuff, cause everything always sucks, always being negative and such

axlish
15-Mar-2008, 12:00 AM
Or we could enjoy Bluray, you choose.

Zombill
15-Mar-2008, 12:11 AM
Or we could enjoy Bluray, you choose.
:moon::moon::moon::moon:

Actually I already enjoy Blu-Ray but I'd like to enjoy everything, but :moon:
for some reason someone has to come along and knock everything I don't know why, even when Blu-Ray first showed up people knocked it, don't really understand that though I guess people hate change:moon::moon::moon:

axlish
15-Mar-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm not knocking anything, I simply stated that I wasn't interested in HD VMD due to their lack of audio codec support. To me, audio is the best enhancement that Bluray (and HD DVD) provides.

Khardis
15-Mar-2008, 04:48 PM
After Blu Ray won the format war I bought a PS3. Been very pleased with it :P