PDA

View Full Version : diary and empty seats

fartpants
14-Mar-2008, 12:34 PM
last night i went to see diary at my local theatre, 8.00 pm showing and was shocked that only myself and 5 other people were there in a screen with 200 seats. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this lack of interest when they saw the film ?

Dead Hoosier
14-Mar-2008, 12:58 PM
Yep ... two showings, 14 total people in the seats. I guess that's what happens with ZERO promotion. Perhaps assuming the film would make its budget back with DVD sales, maybe they looked at ANY theater profit as a bonus.
This film had the least promotion that I ever remember. It didn't come to my city until three weeks after release, and because I'd given up on it, I would've never known it was here -- in one theater -- if it weren't for a tip from someone on this board.

bassman
14-Mar-2008, 01:00 PM
Yep ... two showings, 14 total people in the seats. I guess that's what happens with ZERO promotion. Perhaps assuming the film would make its budget back with DVD sales, maybe they looked at ANY theater profit as a bonus.

The film made it's money back before it ever started it's theatrical run. So it's all profit at this point.

There were only about 5 people in the screening I was at. Doesn't surprise me though. I expected that.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2008, 01:26 PM
I went opening day in the middle of the afternoon on a Friday (this time last week I was 45 minutes away from leaving for the cinema ... ahhh memories :D).

Anyway, there was a couple when I entered the cinema (one lad, one lass...although I think they were older than me, so...) and after me one chap came in - but he left half way through. :rolleyes:

So by the end there was 3 of us...I was kinda expecting just me to be there, so I was surprised to see others there mid-afternoon on a Friday when the schools aren't on holidays.

When I went the following day to see Vantage Point at 9-something-pm, Diary was letting out (the 7-something-pm showing), and there was a decent amount of people coming out, so that's a good sign. :)

But aye, I think this film is gonna do its best business on DVD.

fartpants
14-Mar-2008, 01:42 PM
it just seemed a shame that such a great film had such a poor attendance cos i loved it...

Mike70
14-Mar-2008, 02:56 PM
i have great hopes that when i go to see diary tomorrow that there will be no one else there or there will be maybe 3 other people or so.

i cannot stand seeing a movie (any movie) in a crowded theater. i much prefer a quiet, mostly empty theater so i can enjoy the movie and not be bothered by the antics of muttonbirds. that is why i always go to see movies in the afternoon and i am breaking a long held personal taboo by even considering going to see one on a saturday.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2008, 03:57 PM
It depends I think. British audiences are far more reserved than American audiences by the sounds of things. For example - Shaun of the Dead - when I saw that, there were loads of people there, but nobody was talking or annoying anyone else, and everybody laughed at the same jokes throughout the entire movie and everyone had a great time.

I think with some films it is nice to have at least a good clutch of people there, so you're not just on your own or giggling quietly under your breath with two other people there.

Depends really...but trust me, if some of you American folks who are sick of American cinema audiences came to one of our Brit cinemas, you'd stand aghast at the common decency exhibited 99% of the time.

capncnut
14-Mar-2008, 04:33 PM
Like MZ, I went on on opening day and I was one of two people total in the theatre. Major bombage!

Trin
14-Mar-2008, 04:53 PM
I went to see an 11:00 PM showing in its 4rth week here and the theater was at least a quarter full, probably working on half full. I was surprised. We had to work to find good seats.

Danny
14-Mar-2008, 05:08 PM
Apparently a freind of mine whent a few miles to see it was the ONLY person in a 300 seat screening, the ONLY person!
this movie may make its cash back for production costs but as for pulling in the customers i think diarys bombed.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2008, 06:43 PM
Apparently a freind of mine whent a few miles to see it was the ONLY person in a 300 seat screening, the ONLY person!
this movie may make its cash back for production costs but as for pulling in the customers i think diarys bombed.
It's limited appeal, at least theatrically. It wasn't intended for theatres originally.

Also, it depends on what other films are showing, who's going to see it, who they're going to the cinema with, when they're available and blah-blah-blah.

For a film that's already in the black before it's in cinemas, it can't bomb...it flies in the face of common sense and technicality with it's wang out and flopping!

jim102016
15-Mar-2008, 02:48 PM
It depends I think. British audiences are far more reserved than American audiences by the sounds of things. For example - Shaun of the Dead - when I saw that, there were loads of people there, but nobody was talking or annoying anyone else, and everybody laughed at the same jokes throughout the entire movie and everyone had a great time.

I think with some films it is nice to have at least a good clutch of people there, so you're not just on your own or giggling quietly under your breath with two other people there.

Depends really...but trust me, if some of you American folks who are sick of American cinema audiences came to one of our Brit cinemas, you'd stand aghast at the common decency exhibited 99% of the time.

Sounds like I'll have to go to England to find a decent theater. No matter when I go or what I see, there's always old farts there who refuse to even turn their phones on vibrate, and teenagers that won't shut up. And don't forget about the exceptional parents who bring their young kids and babies into movies intended for adults only. Way to go, Ghetto whores, create even more ****ed up people for society to deal with!

You're a lucky man to have empty theaters!

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2008, 04:58 PM
Well, empty when it's mid-afternoon on a Friday and you're going to see a limited appeal movie in Wales. :D

Other films have a lot more people, Rambo had loads, Vantage Point had loads, Pirates 3 was absolutely packed.

Depends on a whole vast array of variables.

DubiousComforts
15-Mar-2008, 05:56 PM
If empty theaters are the unit of measurement by which motion pictures bomb at the box office, then the last successful film I saw with a packed-house must have been Independence Day (1996). It's been a good 10-11 years since I've sat in a U.S. multiplex that wasn't at less than half capacity.

And don't forget about the exceptional parents who bring their young kids and babies into movies intended for adults only. Way to go, Ghetto whores, create even more ****ed up people for society to deal with!
So what you're saying is this situation is entirely the fault of black people?

Yojimbo
15-Mar-2008, 08:02 PM
Here in Los Angeles, California, there was practically no publicity around the opening of Diary, hence on the opening weekend the single theater screening Diary was only filled because of freaks like myself who had been desperately waiting for this release and therefore would have sought this film out on our own. Of course, the following weekend had this film in seven theaters, though I do not know if it did all that much better with the expansion of the screens since there was no increase in promotion or publicity save for newspaper ads mentioning the film and it's screentimes. It is to be expected therefore that Diary did not do blockbuster box office sales here in Los Angeles (in my mind primarily because of the lack of publicity and absence of any kind of real promotion)

So I am wondering if one of our UK brothers might share with the board any Box Office stats related to the UK release. I am curious to see if the ad campaign in the UK -- much more than we got here in Los Angeles during Diary's run -- has affected the total sales in any way.

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2008, 09:57 PM
I'll be interested to see BO figures for Diary in the UK too. It won't crack a million, no way. BO figures from the UK are usually pretty low anyway unless it's like Pirates 3 or Spider-Man or Shrek, then it cracks double figures for the millions.

Diary will be a few hundred thousand probably...in which case, it might stand a chance of doing over a million DOLLARS...who knows...guess we'll see, it's only been out for 1 week though so far.

And surely white people can also come from ghettos, along with hispanics and all sorts of other peeps.

San Jose Shark
16-Mar-2008, 06:54 AM
Seen Diary many times now in San Jose and on opening day it was basically and full house and a few days ago it was me and one other person who left about 1/4 of the way through it. Sadly i have seen many people leave during the movie but less is better for my viewing experience.

ZombieGrrL
16-Mar-2008, 08:53 AM
I can't wait to see this - but I bet it won't be released in Australia - at least in the cinema. DVD will probably take months and months as usual. We always have to wait AGES. :(

PS:- I wonder why people would walk out of DiOTD? Too much gore? (Ahem it's a zombie film - what part of "Living Dead" don't you understand?), not interesting enough? What could it be?

kidgloves
16-Mar-2008, 01:41 PM
I've read lots about people walking out and personally I didn't believe it. Now a forum member has confirmed it it must be happening. The only reason I can think of people walking out is that the movie is not flash/bang/car chase/nudity every 5 mins. Its quite a slow burner and if your attention span is very small, I can see that some people would get bored. I loved it personally.

Suicycho
16-Mar-2008, 02:17 PM
It opened here in SLC on the 14'th, in ONE theater. There was no promotion what so ever. I went to see Doomsday friday, and on saturday while reading the paper, I saw that Diary was playing at the single theater and my blood began to boil. :mad:

I wasted my movie night on the bastard child of Escape from New York & the Road Warrior when I could have seen Diary instead.

jim102016
16-Mar-2008, 02:27 PM
If empty theaters are the unit of measurement by which motion pictures bomb at the box office, then the last successful film I saw with a packed-house must have been Independence Day (1996). It's been a good 10-11 years since I've sat in a U.S. multiplex that wasn't at less than half capacity.

So what you're saying is this situation is entirely the fault of black people?

No, No, No......not allowed, you're making politically incorrect assertions, Dubious!

Mike70
16-Mar-2008, 02:29 PM

And surely white people can also come from ghettos, along with hispanics and all sorts of other peeps.

yes they can MZ around here we call it Hamilton, Ohio - the white trash capital of planet earth.

back on topic:

i am going to see diary in about 4 hours or so in Newport, Kentucky. i am picking up at least one of my friends to go along and he said he was going to try and round up a few more of our friends to go. so i'll let y'all know if we were the only ones there or if anyone walked out later on.

jim102016
16-Mar-2008, 02:29 PM
I can't wait to see this - but I bet it won't be released in Australia - at least in the cinema. DVD will probably take months and months as usual. We always have to wait AGES. :(

PS:- I wonder why people would walk out of DiOTD? Too much gore? (Ahem it's a zombie film - what part of "Living Dead" don't you understand?), not interesting enough? What could it be?

Without decent advertising, I would think only true fans would have found out about it in the first place. Who the hell is walking out?

bd2999
16-Mar-2008, 03:17 PM
I wonder why people would walk out of DiOTD?

It just depends, I have never walked out of a movie, even if its a terrible movie, but some people do. Some people have no problem seeing a movie while waiting for someone so they could just leave half way because they knew they would have to, maybe they had somewhere else to be. Maybe they hated it? People are crazy. I have seen people walk out of movies in a packed house for the summer blockbuster, like Transformers (although I could see motion sickness with some of the really fast fights).

Not sure how anyone could hope the movie would have done that well in theaters, even if it has already made the budget back, with 0 advertising except a myspace page and possible a random online add. Most people don't know it even exists. I have many friends who love zombie movies but don't necissarily pay attention to everything that goes on with these movies and what is coming. They knew nothing about it when we talked about movies a while back. There is adecent number of people who like these movies, who would love to see it but know nothing about it or the release is to far off. I dont think the movie would ever pull in 100 million (that is reserved for more of a moviethat attracts more age groups), but I think even with a 100 theatre or so release the movie would have made a decent chunk more.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2008, 03:52 PM
When I went to see it there were 3 other people there, one walked out.

When I went to see Land, 3 people walked out.

It's not just Romero fans who might watch this. People who didn't get into something else might go see it (that happened to those 3 who walked out of Land quite blatantly, not getting in to see Revolver, which opened the day before) and Diary, well, perhaps some people have seen everything they'd want to, so figure "meh, I'll try this out" and then not like it...

Or they might be a Romero fan, but not like his new stuff :rolleyes: and then walk out.

Yojimbo
16-Mar-2008, 04:56 PM
Who the hell is walking out?

On opening weekend I saw this two nights in a row, and both nights I noticed people walking out on this film. On both nights, these folks walked out after the scenes in the hospital, and one couple took off right after the Day tribute in the hospital (without spoiling it, I am sure those of you who saw this know what I mean) It was a guy and a girl, presumably on a date, and the girl looked like she was about to blow chunks.

On the second night of my viewing, I had to head to the restroom during the film (too much coffee waiting in line!) and overheard a girl as she was apologizing to her companion for not being able to handle the gore.

Having seen DAY in the theater, I recall similar situations where folks fled due to the graphic gore onscreen. My assumption at this point is that the same issue is behind people bailing on DIARY. Let's face it, folks today go to horror films expecting nothing more shocking than the watered down PG13 tripe they saw on The Ring or Sixth Sense so when they are in the presence of high-octane old school GAR gore their tweeny minds short circut causing them to run gagging and whimpering into the night.

MoonSylver
16-Mar-2008, 05:15 PM
When I went, there were about 20-30 people in the theater. I was pretty shocked. I expected me n' the missus to be the ONLY ones there. Granted, this was Sat. night opening weekend (in my town).

One thing that I was disappointed about was that I couldn't judge the audience reaction (good or bad). I was kind of interested, but everyone was so quiet as they filed out I couldn't overhear their thoughts on it.

kidgloves
16-Mar-2008, 10:40 PM
Let's face it, folks today go to horror films expecting nothing more shocking than the watered down PG13 tripe they saw on The Ring or Sixth Sense so when they are in the presence of high-octane old school GAR gore their tweeny minds short circut causing them to run gagging and whimpering into the night.

Too true brother. Too true
On reflection yes, the Day tribute may well have been too much for todays generation.
Pussies :hyper:

Yojimbo
16-Mar-2008, 11:37 PM
No, No, No......not allowed, you're making politically incorrect assertions, Dubious!

With apologies to everyone for the tangent to follow:

I think that you may have misunderstood Dubious' point, which seemed to me about the "ghetto" comment.

I do know that the term 'ghetto" in and of itself is not racially charged per se, and is more about economic status than racial.

The term Ghetto itself has been used to define Jewish settlements for example, so there is some usage that predates current usage.

So certainly the use of the term "Ghetto" is not necessarily meant to refer to African Americans, however in some big cities (such as Los Angeles where I come from) it often becomes synonymous -- rightly or wrongly -- with low income African American neighborhoods, much like the term "barrio" refers to low income Latino Neighborhoods when in fact it is really just slang for neighborhood. I suspect a lot of this association between the word "Ghetto" and "African American" is due to hip-hop culture's use of the word, though there are indications (such as Elvis' "In The Ghetto" song, references to it by Langston Hughes, etc.) which point to it being used in the way previously.

But if you think about it, with the term "Ghetto Whores" there is a symantic nuance -- in as much as if I had said "Barrio Whores" --- that is implied there that would not exist if I said "Low Income Whores" So I can understand how a term like that may lead people to believe that there might be a racial component to the usage even if none was intended, which I am certain was not the intent with the usage.

Apologies again for my digression!

jim102016
17-Mar-2008, 12:52 AM
With apologies to everyone for the tangent to follow:

I think that you may have misunderstood Dubious' point, which seemed to me about the "ghetto" comment.

I do know that the term 'ghetto" in and of itself is not racially charged per se, and is more about economic status than racial.

The term Ghetto itself has been used to define Jewish settlements for example, so there is some usage that predates current usage.

So certainly the use of the term "Ghetto" is not necessarily meant to refer to African Americans, however in some big cities (such as Los Angeles where I come from) it often becomes synonymous -- rightly or wrongly -- with low income African American neighborhoods, much like the term "barrio" refers to low income Latino Neighborhoods when in fact it is really just slang for neighborhood. I suspect a lot of this association between the word "Ghetto" and "African American" is due to hip-hop culture's use of the word, though there are indications (such as Elvis' "In The Ghetto" song, references to it by Langston Hughes, etc.) which point to it being used in the way previously.

But if you think about it, with the term "Ghetto Whores" there is a symantic nuance -- in as much as if I had said "Barrio Whores" --- that is implied there that would not exist if I said "Low Income Whores" So I can understand how a term like that may lead people to believe that there might be a racial component to the usage even if none was intended, which I am certain was not the intent with the usage.

Apologies again for my digression!

Dr. YoJimbo, a ghetto whore is a ghetto whore no matter what color they are. Some people are just too sensitive about words they think are aimed at one particular group.

Mike70
17-Mar-2008, 12:58 AM
alrighty. i saw diary this afternoon and even though i prefer weekday empty theaters, i am pleased to report that the theater i saw diary in was about half full. it was one of those big AMC theaters so i was, needless to say, surprised by the turnout.

everyone seemed to enjoy the movie (i know i did) and nobody walked out.

jim102016
17-Mar-2008, 01:00 AM
On opening weekend I saw this two nights in a row, and both nights I noticed people walking out on this film. On both nights, these folks walked out after the scenes in the hospital, and one couple took off right after the Day tribute in the hospital (without spoiling it, I am sure those of you who saw this know what I mean) It was a guy and a girl, presumably on a date, and the girl looked like she was about to blow chunks.

On the second night of my viewing, I had to head to the restroom during the film (too much coffee waiting in line!) and overheard a girl as she was apologizing to her companion for not being able to handle the gore.

Having seen DAY in the theater, I recall similar situations where folks fled due to the graphic gore onscreen. My assumption at this point is that the same issue is behind people bailing on DIARY. Let's face it, folks today go to horror films expecting nothing more shocking than the watered down PG13 tripe they saw on The Ring or Sixth Sense so when they are in the presence of high-octane old school GAR gore their tweeny minds short circut causing them to run gagging and whimpering into the night.

The people who can barely hold the vomit down...I have to wonder if they were too stupid to realize what kind of movie they bought tickets for?

I think the distributor did a horrible job of advertising the movie in the U.S....if they did at all. I wouldn't know. I go to the movies every so often, I don't think I ever saw a trailer for it during the four hours worth of previews they play before the main event. I didn't see any tv spots either.

Have I missed something?

Evan Waters
17-Mar-2008, 01:09 AM
Motion sickness may have played a part- I know they were handing out bags at my theater for CLOVERFIELD, and though the camera work here is steadier people have different standards.

I get a feeling this may be one of the more polarizing films in the series- I loved it, but there are definitely parts of it that people will struggle with.

zombre
17-Mar-2008, 04:03 AM
Only 5 people besides myself, very disapointing. I never been to a movie with that low a number of people inside.

Dead Hoosier
17-Mar-2008, 03:53 PM
On the whole "ghetto" thing, it is not racist to draw conclusions based on what you see repeatedly. The fact is that there is a cultural difference when predominantly black crowds in urban areas go to see movies -- ESPECIALLY horror. This is not racist...and black folks will tell you the same.
Talking between people and cell phone use are not considered as problematic, that is why large metro areas now often have ushers making annoncements to turn all cell phones off an to be quiet, in addition to the on-screen plea.
The main difference -- and I tell you this because of MANY experiences, including seeing Dawn04 in Indianapolis -- is that laughing out loud is typically the black crowd response to gore, suspense, and moments meant to scare the audience. Personally, I know the theaters and times to avoid, because I like total silence...and that includes my wife asking stupid questions:lol:

Yojimbo
17-Mar-2008, 06:16 PM
Dr. YoJimbo, a ghetto whore is a ghetto whore no matter what color they are. Some people are just too sensitive about words they think are aimed at one particular group.

No offense intended there, brother. I do agree that in this post political correctness era there are some that are still very sensitive about language. Without debating whether or not folks rightfully should be sensitive about language and semantics, I hope you know that it was not my intention to lecture or talk at anyone.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Mar-2008, 08:19 PM
When I saw Diary on opening day, for the first show there was myself, my new gal, and about 25-30 people in the theater. 25-30 on a Friday morning/noon time is pretty good for Maryland, since this is a very lucrative state in terms of jobs.

jim102016
18-Mar-2008, 12:46 AM
No offense intended there, brother. I do agree that in this post political correctness era there are some that are still very sensitive about language. Without debating whether or not folks rightfully should be sensitive about language and semantics, I hope you know that it was not my intention to lecture or talk at anyone.

Got it Dr. Jimbo!:lol:

AJ
19-Mar-2008, 04:30 AM
My son and I were the only people in the theater tonight to see Diary. That's OK with me. The last movie I saw before tonight was Land. That night there were 2 people behind me constantly talking. In front of me was a lady on her cell phone with a young child crawling around. The mentioned folks were very similar in appearance and behavior to the ones that talked all through the Dawn remake. I wanted to take care of the situation but the person I was with hates confrontations and knows I carry a 45 auto.

Yojimbo
20-Mar-2008, 12:49 AM
My son and I were the only people in the theater tonight to see Diary. That's OK with me. The last movie I saw before tonight was Land. That night there were 2 people behind me constantly talking. In front of me was a lady on her cell phone with a young child crawling around. The mentioned folks were very similar in appearance and behavior to the ones that talked all through the Dawn remake. I wanted to take care of the situation but the person I was with hates confrontations and knows I carry a 45 auto.

I hate folks who misbehave in theaters too, but that sounds kind of scary!:)

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2008, 11:09 AM
Well as long as the person in favour of a proper, respectful cinema experience is the one with the gun, then that's cool with me. :D

DJEvelEd
20-Mar-2008, 08:49 PM
I saw Diary in Elizabeth NJ after work on opening day. There were about 20 people in the theatre, including a couple who brought a CRYING CHILD.
WHY OH WHY WOULD YOU BRING A SCREAMING CHILD TO A ROMERO MOVIE?!?!?! The child was obviously bored after an hour and started yelling and carrying on. Get a baby sitter!
American moviegoers trouble me. They will flock to see light-horror like the Ring and think it's scary, but the good old fashioned gory zombie flicks are just too much for their weak little minds. I would have loved to see someone getting sick from Diary!

Maybe since the Dawn remake is currently being played out on cable (like every night), the interest will get rolling in the good zombie flicks. People have to start somewhere. I was 10 years old dragging my Mother to see Dawn in 1978. I was enlightened early in life. Some peeps are late bloomers.

bassman
20-Mar-2008, 08:59 PM
I saw Diary in Elizabeth NJ after work on opening day. There were about 20 people in the theatre, including a couple who brought a CRYING CHILD.
WHY OH WHY WOULD YOU BRING A SCREAMING CHILD TO A ROMERO MOVIE?!?!?! The child was obviously bored after an hour and started yelling and carrying on. Get a baby sitter!
American moviegoers trouble me. They will flock to see light-horror like the Ring and think it's scary, but the good old fashioned gory zombie flicks are just too much for their weak little minds. I would have loved to see someone getting sick from Diary!

Maybe since the Dawn remake is currently being played out on cable (like every night), the interest will get rolling in the good zombie flicks. People have to start somewhere. I was 10 years old dragging my Mother to see Dawn in 1978. I was enlightened early in life. Some peeps are late bloomers.

What age would you guess the kid was? Either way, it is very dumb to bring young into ANY film that isn't directed towards children. I remember someone had a 3-5 year old in the theater one of the times I saw Fight Club. Totally blew my mind...

I know what you mean about Dawn04 being played on cable all the time. I see it on one of the Starz movie channels AT LEAST twice a week. Yet I've never seen the original on a movie channel. Weird.

DJEvelEd
20-Mar-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by DJEvelEd

What age would you guess the kid was? Either way, it is very dumb to bring young into ANY film that isn't directed towards children. I remember someone had a 3-5 year old in the theater one of the times I saw Fight Club. Totally blew my mind...

I know what you mean about Dawn04 being played on cable all the time. I see it on one of the Starz movie channels AT LEAST twice a week. Yet I've never seen the original on a movie channel. Weird.

Put it this way, the kid was old enough to walk up & down the isle trying to catch people's attention with a "look how cute I am, stop watching that dumb movie and pay attention to me" kinda look. I haven't decided what's worse, children crying in an R movie or people talking to each other or taking calls in any movie. I rarely go to movies anymore, partly because of my bad back, partly because I bought a DLP projector and I watch stuff on an 80 inch screen at home. I saw Diary 2x just because I couldn't wait for the DVD. I really liked it hence the "twice".

I always check the date when I see Dawn in the guide. Hopefully one day I will be pleasantly surprised too see 1978 instead of 2004. Why does the original get no respect? It is CLEARLY a superior film. WHY? WHY!

ZombieGrrL
21-Mar-2008, 12:09 AM
I hate it when people talk or make noise in movies, whether it be a stranger, or a friend constantly commenting on the movie.

For someone to talk on their cell phone is EXTREMELY rude, but to bring a child to see a zombie film - absolutely ignorant & stupid. Why did the theatre allow the child into a film that was obviously graded higher than what the child could see?

This is one reason I don't usually see a movie when it is brand new. The least amount of people in the theatre the better chance of having a good crowd. You don't pay for your ticket to have to put up with idiot people.

Yojimbo
21-Mar-2008, 12:47 AM
For someone to talk on their cell phone is EXTREMELY rude, but to bring a child to see a zombie film - absolutely ignorant & stupid.

Guess it is cheaper to be rude to your fellow theatergoers than to hire a proper babysitter. Still, I agree with ZombieGrrl, and DJEvel about bringing badly behaved kids to the theater. Yeah, the "Look at cutie-pie me!" toddlers are totally annyoing. Maybe we should all arm ourselves prior to our theater experiences, with silver bullets nonetheless!

MinionZombie
21-Mar-2008, 11:17 AM
I remember seeing Fantastic Four in the cinema with a few lads (we all gawped at Alba :D) and some plonker parents had obviously brought along their (well behaved) child to see it (who was about 10 or something, so target audience zone basically). But they also brought along their BABY - who would cry intermittently and they kept taking the kid out to shut it up, pathetic really.

Either get a baby sitter, OR, one of you parents stay at home and watch the baby while the other parent takes their older, well behaved kid, to see the movie they wanna see.

:rolleyes:

At times there can be nuisance cinema experiences in the UK, but I rarely experience them. Although just before Kill Bill there were a bunch of chavs a few rows behind me and my posse of chums and I swear to GAR the stupid chav girl exclaimed proper loudly "IT'S ONLY HIS FOURTH FILM???!!!" or something along the lines of that - so? So f*cking what? Does everybody have to be like McG or some other MTV wanker who's pumping out garbage every 2 years?! F*CK OFF YOU SLAG.

They must have caused offense and were escorted out by the people on duty - so top banana. Then I enjoyed seeing an awesome movie. :)

Also, when I saw Pirates 3 - it was PACKED - plenty of kids, but all well behaved...however, the bastard next to me, some kid I duno, kept farting or something. He kept leaking this atrocious stink, absolutely rank. It was seep out every 10 to 15 minutes and linger around me for 2 minutes and then vanish ... this went on for a lot of the movie - SHOVE A CORK UP YOUR SUGAR-RUSHING ARSE YOU PRAT CHILD!

Still, the pizza afterwards was proper lush, so that balanced it out.

I also remember going to see a film, not sure what it was, maybe Goldeneye, and during the previews there was a bunch of 'keds' on the back row mouthing of about random bollocks and swearing and carrying on like they were immensely f*cking cool - no, the Fonze is cool, you lot are twats. Me and my Dad moved away from them and I think someone from the cinema told them to shut up or f*ck off, then we enjoyed the movie.

So I've rarely experienced a bit of annoyance at the cinema, but it's a rare experience indeed, and usually dealt with quickly by the staff...*touch wood* for it to continue as such.

It also helps to avoid going to see films that only nob'eds go to see...which are movies I don't usually like anyway, so that's good.

ZombieGrrL
22-Mar-2008, 06:45 AM
MinionZombie, your post was proper lush & made me ROFLMAOPMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jim102016
22-Mar-2008, 06:52 PM

Since you probably paid close to a thousand dollars for your tickets, why didn't you go and fetch the manager? Either way, you're going to miss part of the movie. Why they let kids in the theater is beyond me.

Deadman_Deluxe
23-Mar-2008, 01:31 PM
Knowing in advance that this movie was only showing for one week at most cinemas, and for two weeks only at two other cinemas ...

I purposely waited until the very last showing (Thurs 20th @ 20.45GMT) of DIARY, and went alone, so that i COULD sit in an emty cinema, but unfortunately ... two other people, a fay boy and a fat girl, attended and sat near the front, meaning that i had to sit in front of them and pretend that they were not there :dead:

Cant beat a totally deserted cinema for that Omega Man/Woodstock vibe :D

The film was great, i really enjoyed it, but i wanted to see it again right afterwards!!!

Anyone know the DVD release date???

MinionZombie
23-Mar-2008, 07:08 PM
Deadman - Region 1 DVD comes out May 20th apparently, it's what I've heard anyway.

Aye, same here, there were 3 other people, one of whom left, so it was 3 of us in total. I would have liked to have been the only one there, I've never been in a completely empty cinema ... interestingly I'm re-watching Omega Man at the moment.

Mike70
23-Mar-2008, 07:36 PM
... interestingly I'm re-watching Omega Man at the moment.

"it's sunday. i always dress for dinner on sunday."

on another note:

when i saw dawn04 someone had brought like a 4 year old with them. the kid didn't cause any trouble but still, i thought that odd.

my little guy is monster crazy right now. he is probably the only 2 year old i've ever known that can clearly say the word "werewolf", which are by far his favorite monsters. i had to rip the full page pic of del toro as the wolfman out of our copy of EW and give it to him to be able to browse the mag in peace.

i;ve shown him small snippets of things. nothing violent, bloody or tramautizing. mostly just little peeks at werewolf movies (mostly transformation scenes and a few bits of the zombies creeping around in night90. but as for taking him to an R rated movie with lots of violence and blood in it. no fooking way. he'll have to wait quite a few years before he that.

MinionZombie
23-Mar-2008, 09:49 PM
Your kid sounds awesome. :D

Have you shown him the old school Universal monster movies from the 30's and 40's?

They're quite tame by today's standards, but it's where it all started for those classic monsters.

Yojimbo
26-Mar-2008, 07:36 PM
my little guy is monster crazy right now. he is probably the only 2 year old i've ever known that can clearly say the word "werewolf", which are by far his favorite monsters.

Spoken like a truly proud father should!

When my wife and I finally have our child, I hope that he is like your little guy. Rock on, Scipio!