PDA

View Full Version : Do you subscribe to threads? If so email or no email?

Neil
14-Mar-2008, 06:08 PM
Do you subscribe to threads, and if so do you ask for email notifications or not?

Mike70
14-Mar-2008, 06:24 PM
i have never in all the many moons i've been coming here subscribed to a thread.

Neil
16-Mar-2008, 04:01 PM
i have never in all the many moons i've been coming here subscribed to a thread.

Really? Not even without the email option?

I subscribe to all threads (with no email notication) automatically and the first thing I do it typically just go to http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/usercp.php and see what threads have been replied to...

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2008, 04:05 PM
I subscribe to those I post in, and have email notifications sent to me. :cool:

That way I go specifically to the threads I'm personally involved in straight away and see the replies up front, I find that the easiest way rather than trawling around the whole forum like a lost sheep. :p

Danny
16-Mar-2008, 04:09 PM
nope, no point i just take a gander when its got new posts in a thread.

Neil
16-Mar-2008, 04:21 PM
nope, no point i just take a gander when its got new posts in a thread.

Can't work that out... Why not just subscribe (with no email) and go into User CP and it's all done for you :)

Andy
16-Mar-2008, 06:18 PM
Nope ive never subscribed to a thread in my life, dont see the point, subscriptions just annoy me.

capncnut
16-Mar-2008, 06:28 PM
Nope ive never subscribed to a thread in my life, dont see the point, subscriptions just annoy me.
Completely agree. Why subscribe? It's just more headaches. I'd rather log in and give the forum a good ol' shufty - I rarely forget what threads I've posted in.

Neil
16-Mar-2008, 06:43 PM

Utter... Total... WOW!

Terran
16-Mar-2008, 06:51 PM
I said yes ...but i only do it rarely

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2008, 07:59 PM
Utter... Total... WOW!
I know. I don't understand how they're a headache. To me a headache is having to search through the entire forum and remember which threads I posted in, that is a pain in the ass.

Meanwhile, get a notification in an email, click - straight to the thread - bash through them, then have a saunter about afterwards and done. How's that a handful?

Andy
16-Mar-2008, 09:20 PM
2 reasons, firstly my email is cluttered enough without the forums emailing me everytime someone replies to a topic, and secondly, i beleive it gives you a blinkered view of the forums, you just come, go directly to the topics you have replied to and leave more often than not, i enjoy the browsing.

Danny
16-Mar-2008, 09:28 PM
2 reasons, firstly my email is cluttered enough without the forums emailing me everytime someone replies to a topic, and secondly, i beleive it gives you a blinkered view of the forums, you just come, go directly to the topics you have replied to and leave more often than not, i enjoy the browsing.

uh-huh, exactly the same with me.

Neil
16-Mar-2008, 10:00 PM

(1) Who said anything about email - I don't get any.
(2) What wrong with free functionality? At a flick of a button I can see if there's any replies to any thread I've ever made?

Andy
18-Mar-2008, 12:14 AM
Its all good in theory man, but in practice i still beleive it gives most people a blinkered view.

I Like browsing the forums manually, always have.

Mike70
18-Mar-2008, 12:51 AM
Really? Not even without the email option?

I subscribe to all threads (with no email notication) automatically and the first thing I do it typically just go to http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/usercp.php and see what threads have been replied to...

yep even with the email option turned off. like andy and a few others that have posted to this thread i prefer to come in and browse around a bit.

the icons on the side of the threads remind you of which threads you have posted in (love that feature by the way) so it isn't hard to keep track of where you have posts in active threads.

i also tend to post most heavily in the general, media, and dead discussion rooms so i tend to hit those 3 up first.

i also make a lot of use latest thread response box thingy in the what's going on section.

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2008, 11:12 AM
Well it certainly doesn't blinker me. It provides organisation.

Get my alerts, go to the specific threads I'm posting in, check them out. THEN I go on a tour of the forum as a whole.

Because how else would people be getting email alerts to new threads unless they were browsing the forums? :sneaky:

Ergo, Sir, your theory is leaky. :D