PDA

View Full Version : I'm no fan of smoking, but this is total numptyism...

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/news.htm#Nub_End_Censors

I enjoy being able to go to a pub and actually breathe freely as a non-smoker. You don't have passive drinking, or passive obesity, and it's a public area where the majority of people don't smoke.

In your own home/car feel free to smoke up the joint. And proper smoking areas (not invisible lines :rolleyes:) in bars or whatever I would be fine with, but you need a proper separation...the Little Chef style invisible line is pathetic, smoke doesn't get to that line and go "oh sh*t! An invisible line, I'd better stop!!" - no, it filters through the entire atmosphere.

Anyway, getting off on one here, the idea of rating films with smoking in them as 18 is absolutely thick-headed, and a complete waste of time & money because the BBFC think it's a stupid idea as well, you're damn right.

With this way of thinking, Casablanca would be a hardcore 18. :rolleyes:

And like was stated, it'd just erode the meaning of ratings, which you don't want.

Chic Freak
16-Mar-2008, 12:36 PM
Disney's Alice in Wonderland would be an 18, too :rockbrow: Don't think this is going to happen, somehow.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2008, 12:54 PM
Exactly. Hardcore daftness.

Mike70
16-Mar-2008, 02:56 PM
man, MZ these stories you put up just keep getting nuttier and nuttier by the post. sounds like the idiots really have taken over.

unfrakkingbelievable.

i completely fail to see the point behind making movies with smoking an 18 rating. that makes no sense at all. it sounds like the govt. is trying to coerce artists into doing what it wants and that is major league bullsheyat. this is a backdoor attempt at censorship.

i have said it before and will say it until doomsday - the govt. has absolutely no business invovling itself in what people see, hear or read. nor does it have any business trying to dictate the content of aforesaid media.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2008, 03:55 PM
Actually this came from anti-smoking campaigners, who aren't doing their cause any favours by coming up with this nonsense.

For once, not a retarded scheme from the gubment, but from a group of nutters in general - this time from Liverpool. There's nutters all over the country and globe sadly.

Won't happen though, the BBFC already think the idea is idiotic.

Speaking of the BBFC, they relinquished their ban on Manhunt 2, that's going to be coming out soon in the UK ... but I doubt anybody will play it ... unless it gets press coverage in papers and on TV, then it'll rocket up the charts.

Neil
16-Mar-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/news.htm#Nub_End_Censors

I enjoy being able to go to a pub and actually breathe freely as a non-smoker. You don't have passive drinking, or passive obesity, and it's a public area where the majority of people don't smoke.

In your own home/car feel free to smoke up the joint. And proper smoking areas (not invisible lines :rolleyes:) in bars or whatever I would be fine with, but you need a proper separation...the Little Chef style invisible line is pathetic, smoke doesn't get to that line and go "oh sh*t! An invisible line, I'd better stop!!" - no, it filters through the entire atmosphere.

Anyway, getting off on one here, the idea of rating films with smoking in them as 18 is absolutely thick-headed, and a complete waste of time & money because the BBFC think it's a stupid idea as well, you're damn right.

With this way of thinking, Casablanca would be a hardcore 18. :rolleyes:

And like was stated, it'd just erode the meaning of ratings, which you don't want.

Haven't these people got any real problems to solve? :rant:

Danny
16-Mar-2008, 04:07 PM
Actually this came from anti-smoking campaigners, who aren't doing their cause any favours by coming up with this nonsense.

For once, not a retarded scheme from the gubment, but from a group of nutters in general - this time from Liverpool. There's nutters all over the country and globe sadly.

Won't happen though, the BBFC already think the idea is idiotic.

Speaking of the BBFC, they relinquished their ban on Manhunt 2, that's going to be coming out soon in the UK ... but I doubt anybody will play it ... unless it gets press coverage in papers and on TV, then it'll rocket up the charts.

yeah the modern bbfc is tough but very fair, there not liable to fall for fear mongering type stuff.

kortick
16-Mar-2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-05-10-MPAA-smoking_N.htm
(sometimes have to refresh page to get all content)

this isnt a british thing.

The mpaa in the US has been investigating this
since nov 2007.

this has been in the works a lot longer

however follow up articles show
its not geting much support

MikePizzoff
17-Mar-2008, 06:26 AM
Disney's Alice in Wonderland would be an 18, too

Alice In Wonderland already should be rated R/18; it's a pretty disturbing movie!

Chic Freak
17-Mar-2008, 01:14 PM
It's not as disturbing as Pinnochio :eek: And that has smoking in it too, come to think of it.