PDA

View Full Version : a remake of the seven samauri??!!

Mike70
18-Mar-2008, 04:39 PM
seems like yet another classic is going to be victimized by name rape.

found this on scifiwire:

Samurai Update In Works

Screenwriter John Fusco told SCI FI Wire that he now feels ready to adapt and update the 1954 Akira Kurosawa classic The Seven Samurai after turning down the project several times.

Fusco, who has a lifelong interest in Asian legends, said the idea of updating Kurosawa's masterpiece was daunting when it was first proposed to him by producer Harvey Weinstein.

"Harvey offered me the project a couple of times, and I didn't think it was a good idea for obvious reasons. It's hallowed ground," Fusco said in an interview at Wizard World in Los Angeles over the weekend. Fusco also wrote Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and The Forbidden Kingdom.

"Finally, we met and explored the idea of setting it in a more contemporary setting among contractors like the Blackwater guys," Fusco added. "Suddenly, it felt very relevant and real."

The original movie tells the story of 16th-century Japanese warriors who come together to save a village from bandits. It was previously adapted as a Western, 1960's The Magnificent Seven.

Setting the story in the milieu of an international private paramilitary company "is something that the general public knows about and can understand," Fusco said.

Fusco added: "I didn't want to do it unless it could be remade like Magnificent Seven, which was great and translated beautifully with the Old West gunfighters," Fusco said. "I did a lot of research on these [paramilitary] guys and the way they are, and they lend themselves to an updated version of this story."

Like many projects in Hollywood, the proposed film was delayed by the recently settled writers' strike. "It is moving forward," Fusco said. --Mike Szymanski

"Finally, we met and explored the idea of setting it in a more contemporary setting among contractors like the Blackwater guys," Fusco added. "Suddenly, it felt very relevant and real."
:stunned::eek::mad:

this statement right here (which i have picked out of the article to highlight) says everything that i need to know that this is going to be a complete pile. let's not make heroes out of these sort of people.

the only thing i have to say about this idea is: dear gods of film both above and below please stop this from happening.:annoyed: