PDA

View Full Version : the mother of all bad ideas?

Mike70
19-Mar-2008, 04:30 PM
i think this might be it. the UN wants to send up to 27,000 "peacekeepers" to somalia. umm, uh, did i misread? no i didn't. this has to be one the worst ideas i have heard about in a long, long, long time.

i spent six months in that craphole in 92-93 and have no love for that place or those people at all. this may sound heartless, cold and cruel (because it is) but i really could care less if somalis gleefully continued to kill each other from now until gangrene sets in.

sorry i have an extremely bad attitude about somalia but that is what happens when people your are seemingly trying to help attempt to blow you to bits repeatedly and actually succeed in killing some of your friends.

let 'em rot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7304275.stm

Bruiser235
19-Mar-2008, 11:36 PM
I can't believe the UN would even reconsider trying to intervene in that country. Last time, didn't go so well. Were you part of Task Force Ranger, scipio70?

Mike70
19-Mar-2008, 11:40 PM
I can't believe the UN would even reconsider trying to intervene in that country. Last time, didn't go so well. Were you part of Task Force Ranger, scipio70?

nope 10th mountain division. operated out of what had been the US embassy.

Bruiser235
19-Mar-2008, 11:45 PM
Wow, I didn't know anyone here was a part of the whole "Operation Restore Hope" episode of US foreign policy. Thank you for your service.

Tricky
22-Mar-2008, 12:26 PM
Very bad idea!and what will the UN be able to do anyway?they arent even allowed to intervene most of the time,& some of their troops from "more dubious backgrounds" are well known for taking advantage of the local situations!I think the UN lost all credibility in the balkans conflict when it sat back & watched that massacre.They are as much use as a chocolate fireguard & somalia is a dump that will never sort itself out,leave 'em to it!