PDA

View Full Version : Space: Titan may have a deep ocean...

Neil
21-Mar-2008, 03:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7307584.stm

As the scientist says in the article, "We've got to go back again with balloons and rovers and really understand this place."

I agree! Let's do it soon please! It all take sooooo long :(

3pidemiC
21-Mar-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm used to reading about Jupiter's moon, Europa and the ocean that it apparently has.

MikePizzoff
21-Mar-2008, 05:27 PM
This is pretty exciting. I really want us to find life on another planet some point in my lifetime.

Neil
21-Mar-2008, 07:40 PM
This is pretty exciting. I really want us to find life on another planet some point in my lifetime.

I've always imagines a bot landing on Europa, melting its way day thru kilometers of ice, and then, when it gets to an ocean, it releases 3-4 bots all of which go out looking for thermal vents.

In my imagination I can see us back at home sitting there watching the live (well X minutes old) foots from the bots which have settled on the sea bed, near vents... Just watch... and wait... And something swims by...

Danny
21-Mar-2008, 08:30 PM
I've always imagines a bot landing on Europa, melting its way day thru kilometers of ice, and then, when it gets to an ocean, it releases 3-4 bots all of which go out looking for thermal vents.

In my imagination I can see us back at home sitting there watching the live (well X minutes old) foots from the bots which have settled on the sea bed, near vents... Just watch... and wait... And something swims by...

...craaaaab people, craaaaab people....

or cthulu, whichever works.

capncnut
21-Mar-2008, 08:49 PM
"We've got to go back again with balloons and rovers and really understand this place."

I agree! Let's do it soon please! It all take sooooo long :(
I think NASA will get around to this mission within ten years, which ain't bad considering. As we know, it takes major planning. Plus, all the mistakes that happened with the Mars rovers will give the Titan mission a serious advantage.

Mike70
21-Mar-2008, 09:42 PM
i think that in the next 20 to 30 years we will be seeing an all assault on the saturn system. i am surprised that the article didn't mention enceladus, which we are 100% certain has liquid water near the surface(in fact some of the hot regions in enceladus' south pole are as much as 275 deg K hotter than the rest of the moon. the presence of liquid water and organic chemicals on both titan and enceladus put both of them at the top of the search for life outside of earth.

Bruiser235
22-Mar-2008, 05:35 AM
Cool. I'd personally love to see a permanant lunar colony built within my lifetime. Hell, I'd love to visit the moon before I die. :)

Terran
22-Mar-2008, 06:50 AM
Cool. I'd personally love to see a permanant lunar colony built within my lifetime. Hell, I'd love to visit the moon before I die. :)

Ill go with you on this one....

I think inhabiting other bodies permanently its more important than validating theoretical research.....finish what we start then move on….This is a sore subject for me....because the technology to make this possible has been around for a while....Its just that you cant make much money on it....so there is little motivation....

If we can make a self sufficient moon colony....then we can make a self sufficient mars colony....if we can do either.....Human type "consciousness" will likely be around for a long time....Otherwise….we are still on the brink…..