PDA

View Full Version : I guess my initial reaction was a bit hasty...

Craig
23-Mar-2008, 12:28 AM
I wanted to play something different so I decided to reinstall CoD4 today and complete the campaign. I have to admit, it was awesome.
The first time I tried it it was very slow and I had to reduce the graphics a lot. This mixed with the fact I was pretty bitter about CoD's WWII titles and the games industry in general that I didn't really enjoy it for what it was.

This time however it ran with no problems at all and I could put it on fairly high graphics settings. I completed the mission where you must defend the broken down tank, stopped for a while, then played the rest of the game in one go. This surely speaks for how much I enjoyed it this time around. :lol:

SymphonicX
23-Mar-2008, 06:08 PM
one of the most intense shooters ever made....brilliant...single player is by far one of the best on the 350....next to vegas....vegas gives me a hard on.

Craig
23-Mar-2008, 06:49 PM
one of the most intense shooters ever made....brilliant...single player is by far one of the best on the 350....next to vegas....vegas gives me a hard on.
Well since my first impressions of R6V single player were also pretty bad maybe I'll enjoy it on the second try, like with CoD4.

MinionZombie
23-Mar-2008, 07:17 PM
See, told you COD4 was awesome. :)

I was playing it again today, sooooooo cool.

Have you ever played COD3? Cos that's not proper COD, it's Treyarch rather than Infinity Ward. I've recently played COD3 and it's not got the X-factor that COD1 and COD2 had. COD4 is cock-rockin' stuff.

R6V is also rather spoodge-worthy, but a bit annoying at first I found. The bit where you're faffing about in the mines pissed me off to no end, but once I got past that and finally got to Vegas then it was rockin' my balls in all directions.

COD4! WOO! :cool:

Craig
23-Mar-2008, 08:54 PM
Completed all the CoD games except the spinoff titles (UO, Big Red One etc.). CoD2 was my favourite of the WWII era ones. My bitterness mainly stems from the fact that after all these gaming years most WWII games don't even try to do anything different or be more realistic or accurate.
So I've decided to research any new WWII game to see if it'll be some of the same old tripe, and if it is, get on with enjoying other games. Since I'm on a 'modern warfare' now stint I'll have to have a crack at R6V again.

CoinReturn
23-Mar-2008, 08:55 PM
It's a damn fine game, with some very impressive graphics. Gotta love 60 frames per second with no drops, too. My main gripe with the campaign is that it's still too scripted for it's own good. As far as multiplayer, I think it's far too easy to kill enemies. Otherwise, the game is pure tits.

MinionZombie
23-Mar-2008, 09:57 PM
COD4 is scripted, but in a good way. It's dramatic and action packed and you're kept racing along, COD3 didn't manage those things unfortunately, although I did still enjoy it for the most part.

COD4 is just awesome though, and aye, the super fast and smooth frame rate is great. Only very, very, very rarely does it drop for a brief moment, usually when there's a shedload of stuff happening on screen in conjunction with complex smoke or light effects - but as I said - incredibly rarely does that happen. It's so effortlessly smooth running, and the disc in the drive (Xbox360) doesn't scream so fast, at least for me anyway.

Crackdown - now there's a game with a disc working overtime, but COD4, much more chilled by comparison. Just such a great game.

R6V has great graphics, is intense action at times, occasionally frustrating when you come to certain points you might find difficult and just keep f*cking up at, but over all it's great fun. The guns are awesome and sound great, thunderous even. That early level where you make your way down a couple of streets littered with vehicles and there's explosions and terrorists shooting all over the place, car windows shattering, doors falling off, tyres popping etc - great stuff.

Then there's the snazzy tricks, like the one level where you get to rappel down a skyscraper, you can shoot the guys from outside - either standing upright or standing upside down (awesome, provides most cover too) and then you can all rappel down and jump back, then crash through the windows and start shooting (having tagged the bad guys for your team mates).

No doubt I'll go back to it what with you guys all talking about it and getting me all randy for it again. :D