PDA

View Full Version : [REC] - Spanish zombie film

Zombill
25-Mar-2008, 02:36 AM
I just finished watching this and it's incredible, best rage/zombie/cam movie i've seen yet, I haven't seen Diary yet so mayperhaps Diary will top this one but REC right now is where it is at!

While covering the night shift at a small-town fire department, an ambitious young television reporter (Manuela Velasco) and her cameraman follow the crew on a call to rescue an elderly woman unable to escape the inferno that is consuming her home. Upon their arrival at the scene, the calm midnight air is pierced by the sound of horrific screams, and the television report takes an unexpectedly dark turn.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ib5ZSj6ST0U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ib5ZSj6ST0U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mike70
25-Mar-2008, 03:01 AM
umm is there an english, latin or norwegian (subtitled) version of this? otherwise fook it.

i frakked around with enough languages in college and spanish is a language i would rather die than even pay attention to.

Zombill
25-Mar-2008, 06:28 AM
umm is there an english, latin or norwegian (subtitled) version of this?

Yes English cause thats how I watched it, and yes I believe Norwegian subs also but probably better to wait for the actual dvd release to find out for sure and from what I know that shouldn't be to far off cause I don't think the US will see a theatre release

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2008, 11:31 AM
If there's a DVD with dubbed English, I'm there.

I can't be doing with subtitles, I like to watch films, not read them. Especially a movie such as this (so I'd imagine anyway) where you have to be concentrating on the entire image, not the bit at the bottom to read the text and try to keep up with the visuals.

Personally subtitles just annoy me. Dubbing can be done really well sometimes, and that just makes for an easier experience. :)

Neil
25-Mar-2008, 12:57 PM
Old thread - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=8620
It's being remade - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/

If there's a DVD with dubbed English, I'm there.

I can't be doing with subtitles, I like to watch films, not read them. Especially a movie such as this (so I'd imagine anyway) where you have to be concentrating on the entire image, not the bit at the bottom to read the text and try to keep up with the visuals.

Personally subtitles just annoy me. Dubbing can be done really well sometimes, and that just makes for an easier experience. :)

I find dubbing usually detracts from the film for me. Usually with 5-10 minutes I find I've actually forgotten I'm reading subtitles...

jim102016
25-Mar-2008, 03:05 PM
Doesn't look all that great, but that reporter is nice looking. I don't understand the obsession with these kind of movies

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2008, 03:42 PM
I find dubbing usually detracts from the film for me. Usually with 5-10 minutes I find I've actually forgotten I'm reading subtitles...

Other way around for me. I'm distracted cos I have to keep dropping my line of sight to read the friggin' text. Reading a movie is a daft to me as watching a book (by which I don't mean a movie adaptation, I mean literally watching a book sat on a shelf or something :p).

All that effort put into the visuals and the acting and the editing and so on, and you're missing it all because you're focusing on the bottom third of the image.

Now, an English language movie with some subtitle - like Indiana Jones or something, where you cut away to some Germans or something, that I don't mind at all, for one thing it separates the characters and adds another dimension.

If you're watching a film and it's all one language, why not have it dubbed to your native tongue? English-lingo flicks are always dubbed for foreign markets, nout wrong with vice versa I say.

Neil
25-Mar-2008, 03:49 PM
If you're watching a film and it's all one language, why not have it dubbed to your native tongue? English-lingo flicks are always dubbed for foreign markets, nout wrong with vice versa I say.

As another argument then... All that effort that has gone into finding just the right actors (voices) for the parts, and writing exactly the rigth dialog in the script.

When dubbed, the voice acting is rarely as good - the moment has been lost! And the dialog is kicked around to try and lip sync it, so the meaning can be lost a bit as well.

There's arguments for both dubbing and not dubbing... I've generally found though I personally prefer the subs :)

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2008, 03:57 PM
True enough, sh*te dubbing is bad. But dubbing can be done really well too.

I think ultimately, there should be BOTH options to reach the widest audience, rather than remaking a whole frigging movie just to have it in English like lame-ass Hollywood no-talents do, what-with all those Japanese movie remakes.

Anyway...:p

I must say the dubbed version of "Versus" works really well, heck the lead sounds way better dubbed. He's all macho hero, but his real voice doesn't suit that image at all, but the dubbed voice does.

If it's just entertainment, and not some character study, then dubbing is best. If it's character intensive stuff, like some drama or something, then subtitles probably work best (for some at least) - but then again, you're missing out on the visual performance, the looks in their eyes, their body lingo etc...

Ahhhh the double-edged sword of foreign films ... the entire globe should just adopt English as a language because it's blatantly the most awesome-est. :D:sneaky:

DubiousComforts
25-Mar-2008, 05:54 PM
I must say the dubbed version of "Versus" works really well, heck the lead sounds way better dubbed.
That might be true if anything in VERSUS worked, period. As it stands, it's a pathetic excuse for "motion picture" with no redeemable value whatsoever. :p

Zombill
25-Mar-2008, 06:11 PM
Old thread - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=8620
It's being remade - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/as always thanks for the info Neil, I can't wait to see what changes if any they make for the US version remake cause REC stands on its own

kidgloves
27-Mar-2008, 08:42 PM
Another thread here incase anyone missed it

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=8696

Very good movie. Terrifying in parts and i haven't said or felt that for a long long time.

Zombill
28-Mar-2008, 12:24 AM
Another thread here incase anyone missed it

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=8696

Very good movie. Terrifying in parts and i haven't said or felt that for a long long time.

That's exactly what grabbed me and I posted it the same night I got to watch it

clanglee
28-Mar-2008, 12:59 AM
I watched this movie without the subtitles, I speak only a little spanish, and the movie creeped me out BAD!! I loved it. Can't wait till I can actually see it and understand it.

Legion2213
31-Mar-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one, it does look like a good movie.

I'd prefer the original Spanish soundtrack with English subs to be honest though, re-dubbed movies lose something in the translation IMO.

Edit: I have zero interest in watching an American remake.

Neil
31-Mar-2008, 07:42 PM
Edit: I have zero interest in watching an American remake.I think the original guys are involved so you never know, they may fix what didn't work so well, and improve on what did :)

DubiousComforts
31-Mar-2008, 07:57 PM
I think the original guys are involved so you never know,
Are you new? :D Of course we know--no one can point to a single Hollywood remake that has ever worked better than the original, and life is simply too short to be wondering around U-Never-Knows-ville.

Legion2213
31-Mar-2008, 08:06 PM
I just don't see how you remake a Spanish movie in America, do you take US actors to Spain and shoot it there, or transplant the movie to the US and pretend it is in Spain or set it in America altogether (making it an just another American movie?).

I'd rather watch the original with subs, and look at it as a recovered record of the event.

That said, I will watch the remake if I enjoy the original, but I can't see it being better somehow.

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2008, 08:19 PM
There is a foreign language movie that was remade in English by the same director - basically shot-for-shot in English - and apparently, according to Total Film anyway, it's 4 out of 5 star stuff.

Most likely down to the director himself returning and just doing the same movie in English ... "funny games" I think it's called...ain't seen it though, so who knows, could actually be a gash re-languaging...but you never know.

kidgloves
31-Mar-2008, 11:43 PM
Are you new? :D Of course we know--no one can point to a single Hollywood remake that has ever worked better than the original, and life is simply too short to be wondering around U-Never-Knows-ville.

Ermmmm.
The Thing.
The Fly.
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

I think the original guys are involved so you never know, they may fix what didn't work so well, and improve on what did :)

Care to share with us what you thought worked and what didn't? :D

Legion2213
31-Mar-2008, 11:48 PM
Ermmmm.
The Thing.
The Fly.

They were all American movies to start with, I believe that "hollywood" butchered Jap movies like "the Ring", "The Grudge" etc

DubiousComforts
01-Apr-2008, 03:04 AM
The Thing.
The Fly.
Those were remakes of 20-30 year old films, in all cases, updates by skilled directors and even so, you had to go backward more than 20 years to find a good example.

It should have been obvious following The Ring that remaking contemporary films with English-speaking casts because the Hollywood bean counters believe audiences are too stupid to sit through a movie with non-Caucasian actors and subtitles is an unbelievably lame approach that does not deserve an "open mind" or a "wait and see" attitude.

The bottom line is the talentless hucksters that run the industry won't stop treating audiences like sheep until audiences quit acting like sheep and demand a better product.

clanglee
01-Apr-2008, 03:12 AM
I hate to say it, but I prefer The Ring to Ringu. Ringu was good and all, but the Ring was just better at deliveing the creepiness. Now the Ring 2 however was a putrid bucket o' vomit. The Grudge was also quite good. But I liked Ju-On about as much. The Grudge 2 however was a putrid bucket o' . . .well, you get the idea.

Deadman_Deluxe
01-Apr-2008, 04:29 AM
Just grabbing this right now with original spanish language and english subtitles :skull:

Seen a teaser trailer for this a while ago and got the impression that it was a ghost story of sorts and forgot all about it, so thanks for the reminder and i will be checking this out in about 22 minutes :cool:

Zombill
02-Apr-2008, 08:14 AM
Give us your honest opinion DD

DubiousComforts
04-Apr-2008, 07:30 AM
Excellent film, but don't believe the hype. It's an effective horror-thriller with a very good blend of P.O.V. realism and stylized set pieces, but it's far from the scariest movie ever made.

The only part that sucked ass was the end credits and "retardead" choice of music. Truly an MTV jackass moment if ever there was one.

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2008, 10:54 AM
My thoughts on the flick:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/04/rec.html

Over all I liked it, despite several annoying issues, both for the film in general, as well as a filmmaker watching this entry into the 'FPS/POV horror' sub-genre.

slickwilly13
04-Apr-2008, 01:39 PM
How's the gore? Is there any cannibalism involved? And finally, are these the infected or undead?

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2008, 04:27 PM
It's not entirely clear, it's definitely not GAR zombies, but it's not particularly plague movie - like 28 Days Later - they run around and scream a lot and are quite viscious ... so I duno really ... I think they do die, but it's not exceptionally zombie-movie either.

It's like some weird kinda hybrid...duno how to explain it really.

Oh and yes, the end credits song - some awful 'rawk' track, completely saps all the residual tension from the final moments. Such an incredibly poor choice - NO music would have been better.

It's not exceptionally gory either, but has enough to go around. It's more about tension and setting up the situation, gore just happens to be there from time-to-time, rather than everything stopping for a couple of minutes while some eager FX guys wheel in a truck-load of blood. :p

DubiousComforts
04-Apr-2008, 04:41 PM
How's the gore? Is there any cannibalism involved? And finally, are these the infected or undead?
There's plenty of gore, IMO, though not overly done. It's used to enhance the situation rather than steal the show.

As MZ said, it's not entirely clear if these are living dead or infected or both. It certainly takes a lot to bring down one of the bastards, that's for sure. I enjoyed the ambiguity, and the "scientific" explanation was just enough not to become tedious.

EvilNed
04-Apr-2008, 05:23 PM
Dubbing sucks major. Dubbing can really ruin a film for me. And don't give me the "I don't like to read films" arguments. It takes the eye and mind less than a milisecond to read what's said on screen. It detracts nothing, except if you're to lazy to even do that.

Dubbing should be banned. It's film violation. You're violating the directors vision by replacing the soundtrack. I find that dubbing is for the MTV crowd.

And I'll be sure to get ahold of Rec. With subtitles, of course. If it's dubbed, I won't even bother.

Zombill
04-Apr-2008, 05:38 PM
not dubbed, subtitled is all

slickwilly13
10-Apr-2008, 04:03 AM
Damn, I forgot all about this thread. Thanks for the info. I want to see this movie, bad.

EvilNed
10-Apr-2008, 06:36 PM
Saw it last night. One of the best zombiefilms I've ever seen.

Mutineer
14-Apr-2008, 11:51 PM
This was posted over at dvxuser

This zombie film is about a television reporter and a cameraman who join up with a fire department to film their night. It is filmed like Blair Witch and is very shaky and blurry at times.

http://posters.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsOaV7NUVM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsOaV7NUVM)

They are planning a North American remake called Quarantine starring Jennifer Carpenter (The Exorcism of Emily Rose), which should be out this Halloween.

http://posters.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/

I'm going to watch tonight and will report back :P

DubiousComforts
15-Apr-2008, 01:42 AM
Psst! Look here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=10238)...

Mutineer
15-Apr-2008, 07:15 AM
Oops

Sorry guys. I searched for 'rec' but the Search punkd me.

:D :o

Neil
16-Apr-2008, 10:04 PM
Can someone explain the ending to me please?

*** BEWARE FOLKS WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IF FOR THE SPOILERS!!!! ***

DubiousComforts
16-Apr-2008, 10:31 PM

Here you go...

I think it was 'Blessed are the cheesemakers.'

Neil
17-Apr-2008, 11:15 AM
Come on, someone help me out!

So someone was up in the penthouse working on something to do with possessed children? Huh? And the boy up in the attic?

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2008, 12:39 PM
Here you go Neil, here's my take on the ending:

It seems that the dude who owns the penthouse - which has been locked for months or years apparently - did indeed go to track down the source of this infection or something, I think to snuff out the infection completely, but didn't know how to do it spiritually or whatever - as he clearly believed it to be - so he locks that manky thing in his attic ... with one lame chain, lol ... so that's what I thought it was about.

The dude has this penthouse, but after all that business with this possessed kid out there in the world - whom he tracked down and kidnapped so he could lock it away in his penthouse attic - and then he fled and left it sealed up.

I might have to rewatch the ending, but that was basically it. So I think that beasty in the attic is the source of the infection, because it was that kid's dog that got sick - so presumably the dog came in contact with that manky monster kid somehow, not entirely sure...

That better? :)

Neil
17-Apr-2008, 01:02 PM
Here you go Neil, here's my take on the ending:

It seems that the dude who owns the penthouse - which has been locked for months or years apparently - did indeed go to track down the source of this infection or something, I think to snuff out the infection completely, but didn't know how to do it spiritually or whatever - as he clearly believed it to be - so he locks that manky thing in his attic ... with one lame chain, lol ... so that's what I thought it was about.

The dude has this penthouse, but after all that business with this possessed kid out there in the world - whom he tracked down and kidnapped so he could lock it away in his penthouse attic - and then he fled and left it sealed up.

I might have to rewatch the ending, but that was basically it. So I think that beasty in the attic is the source of the infection, because it was that kid's dog that got sick - so presumably the dog came in contact with that manky monster kid somehow, not entirely sure...

That better? :)

All a bit unclear really isn't it...

Sort of implied that possession was actually this infection and not supernatural, and he'd been messing around with it and also kidnapped the possessed girl, who we saw at the very end. Who the child was up in the loft, how the dog got ill, why the little girl didn't 'change' until question marks were finally asked about her, is all a messy mystery :( Shame it wasn't clearer!

Legion2213
17-Apr-2008, 01:54 PM
Unclear or not, when that movie got going it was a white knuckle terror ride! :eek:

I just watched the Spanish version with English subs, I was very, very impressed, to keep all the action in one location and keep the horror factor at warp ten is a cracking feat IMO.

Excellent movie. I will definitely get the DVD when it is released.:cool:

(I wonder just how badly hollywood will f**k this up, I bet there is more than one gun in it for a start).

Danny
17-Apr-2008, 02:13 PM
Dubbing sucks major. Dubbing can really ruin a film for me. And don't give me the "I don't like to read films" arguments. It takes the eye and mind less than a milisecond to read what's said on screen. It detracts nothing, except if you're to lazy to even do that.

Dubbing should be banned. It's film violation. You're violating the directors vision by replacing the soundtrack. I find that dubbing is for the MTV crowd.

And I'll be sure to get ahold of Rec. With subtitles, of course. If it's dubbed, I won't even bother.

i could not agree enough with that.

Neil
17-Apr-2008, 02:22 PM
Unclear or not, when that movie got going it was a white knuckle terror ride! :eek:

I just watched the Spanish version with English subs, I was very, very impressed, to keep all the action in one location and keep the horror factor at warp ten is a cracking feat IMO.

Excellent movie. I will definitely get the DVD when it is released.:cool:

(I wonder just how badly hollywood will f**k this up, I bet there is more than one gun in it for a start).

The acting was generally excellent... And the truly amazing thing was of course - as it was all done from one camera - there were many single long takes/shots. Impressive!

Still hoping someone can explain the ending to me though :confused:

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2008, 05:33 PM
I think the ending, to the degress of explanation you want Neil, is just messy in your level of detail.

Essentially, just leave it at 'the scariest sh*t happens in that f*cking penthouse of terror' - it's like the abandoned house in the woods at the end of Blair Witch - that bit is ALWAYS the scariest part, the final shot in particular damn near extracted turds from my bottom. :lol:

I see the sweary-mouthed chick from Dexter is playing the reporter in this American version. It just seems to be the exact same film, but probably not done as well, just to specifically target the content at a bunch of idiots who simply have to have it in American language (well, American is certainly different to English, that's for sure :D) and have a couple of stars in it so people can go "hey, it's that one out of Dexter" and "oi, that's thingymy out of Hostel right there".

:rolleyes::p

DubiousComforts
17-Apr-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh Lordy...

The ending was directly taken from most FPS video games: exploring a grungy, darkened room right out of Se7en, a tape recorder ominously providing bits of information, you're locked inside with a freakish monster and can't go back the way that you came, etc.

I don't think it requires much more explanation, but the point was that the freakish thing was the "possessed" girl and she obviously wasn't alive any longer. It's possible the guy on the tape was killed before he could seal off the room properly, so the infection got out and was transmitted via the dog.

Neil
17-Apr-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh Lordy...

The ending was directly taken from most FPS video games: exploring a grungy, darkened room right out of Se7en, a tape recorder ominously providing bits of information, you're locked inside with a freakish monster and can't go back the way that you came, etc.

I don't think it requires much more explanation, but the point was that the freakish thing was the "possessed" girl and she obviously wasn't alive any longer. It's possible the guy on the tape was killed before he could seal off the room properly, so the infection got out and was transmitted via the dog.

Of course Hollywood will resort to CGI for that girl, but that wasn't CGI, and was a real, alarmingly skinny person :stunned::eek:

DubiousComforts
17-Apr-2008, 09:57 PM
Of course Hollywood will resort to CGI for that girl, but that wasn't CGI, and was a real, alarmingly skinny person :stunned::eek:
I agree regarding the skinny guy; with a little ingenuity on the part of the filmmakers, it made for a great illusion. I was sure that it was CGI because nobody could possibly be that skinny. :D

Btw, they took that idea from the original ALIEN, which utilized a very tall and skinny actor, as well.

MoonSylver
18-Apr-2008, 01:15 AM

Could always go the route Sony/Tristar did with their re-releases of the Godzilla series: they had both the original Japanese version w/ subs that you could turn on or off AND the dubbed International versions. Thus, you don't have to choose & everyone is happy. ;)

Neil
18-Apr-2008, 08:53 AM
I agree regarding the skinny guy; with a little ingenuity on the part of the filmmakers, it made for a great illusion. I was sure that it was CGI because nobody could possibly be that skinny. :D

Btw, they took that idea from the original ALIEN, which utilized a very tall and skinny actor, as well.

Unless I'm even more confused, it was a girl, not a guy... And I recon it was a real person...

MinionZombie
18-Apr-2008, 10:23 AM
Nah I think it was a girl, cos the tape and the news clippings were all about a girl, plus 'it' had emaciated boobies.

It wasn't CGI?! :eek: No way ... really?! :stunned:

I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch the ending now.

DubiousComforts
18-Apr-2008, 04:12 PM
Unless I'm even more confused, it was a girl, not a guy... And I recon it was a real person...

It was a very skinny guy (actor) underneath a lot of make-up playing the infected girl. Just watch the behind-the-scenes footage on the DVD.

And I'm not contesting that it was a real person. I'm saying that I was shocked to learn that it wasn't CGI.

Neil
18-Apr-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm only saying it wasn't CGI as the film didn't appear to have the budget to pay for CGI of that quality. + it looked real!

Zombill
19-Apr-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm only saying it wasn't CGI as the film didn't appear to have the budget to pay for CGI of that quality. + it looked real!

Plus that ending you kept refering to had some pretty good shock value

deadwrtr
07-May-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm really surprised there's not any discussions going on about this great little spanish zombie film. I saw it, and loved it.

Yes, there are a few inconsistencies, but overall, a great film.

Has anyone else seen it?

slickwilly13
08-May-2008, 12:45 AM
Actually, this is the 3rd thread. I started the first one a while back when the trailers first leaked out.

Neil
08-May-2008, 09:43 AM
[Threads merged]

I'm still waiting for a decent explanation of the ending...?

slickwilly13
08-May-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh yeah, there's a sequel in the works, btw. Already been anounced.

Neil
08-May-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, there's a sequel in the works, btw. Already been anounced.

To the Spanish or American (remake) version?

slickwilly13
08-May-2008, 02:53 PM
The Spanish version. It was anounced on Bloody Disgusting recently.

Neil
08-May-2008, 03:02 PM

Maybe the sequel will explain what the hell the ending was all about :rolleyes:

Legion2213
08-May-2008, 06:45 PM

Hmm, I wonder what direction it will take ("hand held cam" or an actual "movie").

Cheers for the info Slick.

MinionZombie
09-May-2008, 10:58 AM
Hmm, I wonder what direction it will take ("hand held cam" or an actual "movie").

Cheers for the info Slick.
As long as it isn't Blair Witch 2 direction, then fine. :D

Fecunditatis
11-May-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm afraid the [REC] sequel is just an unconfirmed rumor. Balagueró and Plaza are currently prepping other projects (Plaza's "Circus" and Balagueró's "La dama número 13").

Here's the Spanish source:

http://www.aullidos.com/leer_noticias.asp?id_noticia=4527

edeatworld
15-May-2008, 08:40 PM
saw this film recently and as blown away.
don't think its been posted yet so heres a link to the remake trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/quarantine/

looks like a shot-for-shot copy so it can't be all bad? can it?
probably.
but it looks like they even used the same building, would be interesting to watch anyway.

edeatworld
16-May-2008, 08:13 AM
Saw this for the first time recently and was blown away, so good to have a film that adheres to the traditional conventions while still being fast paced and scary as hell. This is the film i was hoping Diary of the Dead would be.

Can't see it posted anywhere yet so heres the trailer for the remake:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/quarantine/index.html

looks like a shot-for-shot remake so it can't be all bad right? right??
still, some of the shots in the trailer are identical, (especially the last one) and even the building looks identical. if it ain't broke don't fix it i guess. should be interesting.

MoonSylver
13-Jun-2008, 10:18 PM
Just had a chance to see this one last night. While not "the second coming of the horror genre" as some have made it, it was pretty damn good. Seemed very realistic & captured the vibe of what it would be like to be at "ground zero" when the outbreak began.

Very tense & fast moving with some good scares in some parts (kinda like if you made a zombie movie in a "haunted house", like the kind you go through at Halloween). Downright creepy in some parts. Some fresh ideas, particularly in the twist towards the end. Confining (literally) all the action to the one, claustrophobic, environment turned things up a notch too.

A lot of people thought that "Diary" would be "Blair Witch with Zombies", but that was more how this one played out to me particularly the ending, which while creepy and scary, seemed almost directly out of Blair Witch

DubiousComforts
14-Jun-2008, 12:21 AM
J
A lot of people thought that "Diary" would be "Blair Witch with Zombies", but that was more how this one played out to me particularly the ending, which while creepy and scary, seemed almost directly out of Blair Witch
Then apparently a lot of people made the wrong assumptions about Diary. Both films were good yet completely different, so what would be the point of anyone wishing that one movie be more like the other? It should be preferable to have two different takes on the genre, but as someone pointed out in another thread, moviegoers just want DAWN over and over.

I also believe the ending to [REC] was directly lifted from many fps video games, not the ridiculously ambiguous Blair Witch Project, and that is meant as a good thing. :D

clanglee
14-Jun-2008, 01:37 AM
Excellent summary of the movie. Spot on!! :D

MoonSylver
14-Jun-2008, 05:08 AM
Then apparently a lot of people made the wrong assumptions about Diary. Both films were good yet completely different, so what would be the point of anyone wishing that one movie be more like the other?

I think it's because Blair Witch made such a big splash w/ the POV technique that as soon as anyone hears of a movie being made with it, it's automatically "Oh, it's Blair Witch w/ Godzilla" or "It's Blair Witch w/ Zombies" :rolleyes:

You're right, Diary is a totally different movie. I think it's a testament to both films (& film makers) that they're using the same method (roughly, in Diary it's more polished, which makes sense contextually, whereas in [Rec] it's rougher & more frantic, given the scenario), but both tell much different stories from much different perspectives & both work in their respective contexts (IMO)
---MS

DubiousComforts
14-Jun-2008, 08:49 AM
I think it's because Blair Witch made such a big splash w/ the POV technique that as soon as anyone hears of a movie being made with it, it's automatically "Oh, it's Blair Witch w/ Godzilla" or "It's Blair Witch w/ Zombies" :rolleyes:
You're right, people are just eager to categorize movies into a neat little boxes, and that includes those who market the finished products. Blair Witch may have brought the POV technique to the forefront, but that's what caused the film to fail for me. The filmmakers didn't trust their own actors, and so the filming style quickly became a gimmick. It was far too crude to convey any of the subtlety or creepiness of the back story, which happened to be the film's greatest strength.

I'd rather watch a film with a little more polish and style, even if it means sacrificing a bit of "realism." It's the difference between painting a picture and snapping a photograph.

Redman6565
14-Jun-2008, 04:24 PM
umm is there an english, latin or norwegian (subtitled) version of this? otherwise fook it.

i frakked around with enough languages in college and spanish is a language i would rather die than even pay attention to.

I'm with yah on the language bit but it looks cool. This whole 'rage' thing has promise. I like the idea of some nut cases in a lab trying to come up with the next big weapon (28 Days/Weeks) and it all goes to heck. You're right, lets get it in english though.

DubiousComforts
14-Jun-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm with yah on the language bit but it looks cool. This whole 'rage' thing has promise. I like the idea of some nut cases in a lab trying to come up with the next big weapon (28 Days/Weeks) and it all goes to heck. You're right, lets get it in english though.
The DVD release has English subtitles. If you don't understand Spanish, watching it in English is a must. There is quite a bit of characterization that would otherwise be missed. A friend downloaded an unsubbed avi and thought the movie sucked.

Redman6565
14-Jun-2008, 04:48 PM
Then apparently a lot of people made the wrong assumptions about Diary. Both films were good yet completely different, so what would be the point of anyone wishing that one movie be more like the other? It should be preferable to have two different takes on the genre, but as someone pointed out in another thread, moviegoers just want DAWN over and over.

I also believe the ending to [REC] was directly lifted from many fps video games, not the ridiculously ambiguous Blair Witch Project, and that is meant as a good thing. :D

I think people compare POV flicks to Blair because that's where it all started. Diary was just a bad movie. I think people like the idea of going to the Dawn point because that is after the out break and the world is in a major nose dive. I think GAR blew it on two fronts. The first the POV thing. Second, going back to the start.

As for Quarantine, it looks like a great ride. Count me in. Maybe GAR needs to take a look and get his head back in the game.

Dillinger
15-Jun-2008, 11:13 PM
I d/led this movie off isohunt and i'm approximately forty minutes into it. So far it's underwhelming. I don't get what all the hype is about. But i'll wait until I watch the rest before I cast my final judgement. So far it's just an annoying reporter trapped in an apartment when a couple of dufus cops, a little girl & a fireman or two. I'm at the part where the health inspector is performing an autopsy on the dead cop that was bitten by the old broad in the upstairs room.

clanglee
16-Jun-2008, 07:04 AM
The DVD release has English subtitles. If you don't understand Spanish, watching it in English is a must. There is quite a bit of characterization that would otherwise be missed. A friend downloaded an unsubbed avi and thought the movie sucked.

I was unaware of any DVD release. I know for a fact it wasn't released in ANY form here in the U.S. but I didn't know it had more than a theater release anywhere else yet.

I watched it in spanish and it scared the wholly crap outta me. I understand a little spanish, so that just helped enough to bring me into the film enought to get lost in it and buy it. I then watched a badly dubbed version. . which did help fill in a lot of the gaps for me. But I loved the movie even without understanding it entirely.

DubiousComforts
16-Jun-2008, 05:23 PM
I was unaware of any DVD release. I know for a fact it wasn't released in ANY form here in the U.S.
It was released on DVD in Spain, and is available in the US as an import: [REC] DVD (http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/rec-p-14006.html?osCsid=75c0db6ba2da1d23ba65dfd0a425f854 )

I think people compare POV flicks to Blair because that's where it all started.
Perhaps those less knowledgeable are prone to do that, but POV technique in films and the horror genre in particular didn't begin with Blair Witch Project.

Redman6565
17-Jun-2008, 09:32 PM
It was released on DVD in Spain, and is available in the US as an import: [REC] DVD (http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/rec-p-14006.html?osCsid=75c0db6ba2da1d23ba65dfd0a425f854 )

Perhaps those less knowledgeable are prone to do that, but POV technique in films and the horror genre in particular didn't begin with Blair Witch Project.

Blair Witch was the first to use it for the entire movie and make it popular. The whole Blair Witch concept was fantastic. The net helped breath life in to it. I know a lot of people thought it was real. lol

EvilNed
17-Jun-2008, 09:34 PM
Blair Witch was the first to use it for the entire movie and make it popular. The whole Blair Witch concept was fantastic. The net helped breath life in to it. I know a lot of people thought it was real. lol

Cannibal Holocaust, anybody?

Redman6565
17-Jun-2008, 09:39 PM
Cannibal Holocaust, anybody?

Well, if that's a movie title I'll pass. haha

EvilNed
17-Jun-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, if that's a movie title I'll pass. haha

Yepp! It was released in 1980, and was filmed much the same way as Blair Witch Project.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078935/

Veeeeery disturbing film. It's the kind you watch maybe... once. Or twice, ten years apart.

Also, at the time, many people believed it to be real. It was definetly an inspiration for Blair Witch Project.

Redman6565
17-Jun-2008, 10:44 PM
Yepp! It was released in 1980, and was filmed much the same way as Blair Witch Project.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078935/

Veeeeery disturbing film. It's the kind you watch maybe... once. Or twice, ten years apart.

Also, at the time, many people believed it to be real. It was definetly an inspiration for Blair Witch Project.

hahaha watched the trailer. Wow, that looks bad. I'll have to pass on that one.

EvilNed
17-Jun-2008, 11:08 PM
hahaha watched the trailer. Wow, that looks bad. I'll have to pass on that one.

Think of it as the opposite of Love Actually. It's a film made to... make you feel horrible!

DubiousComforts
17-Jun-2008, 11:09 PM
Blair Witch wasn't even the first to utilize the "found footage" concept; Cannibal Holocaust did that, as well, and so did another film produced around the same time called The Last Broadcast which was ultimately out-hyped by Blair Witch.

The reason that people believed Blair Witch was real was due to the film's marketing. At least one year prior to the film finding a distributor and being released theatrically, the filmmakers launched a web site to feed out bits of the back story as though it were a real historical event.

One of the primary inspirations for Blair Witch was the In Search Of... tv series; the filmmakers simply manufactured their own phenomena to investigate. As entertainment, that much is brilliant, but I don't know of anyone that believed it was real after watching the actual movie.

Due to the way Blair Witch was filmed, there are many little details in the movie that are entirely lost on the audience unless they happened to know the back story.

MinionZombie
18-Jun-2008, 10:11 AM
Cannibal Holocaust is a great, sleazy, exploitation flick from back in the day - and like you say - you watch it once, maybe twice with a huge gap of time in between.

Mind you, CH has some film-film sequences in it (when the people in New York - always with New York, lol - are reviewing the footage).

But indeed, there were even court hearings regarding whether it was real or not (geeeeeez, lol) and they even had to get the person who played the chick who was skewered on that pole, and then show how they did it.

Insane, indeed.

A very tough film to watch though, but a classic nonetheless. It's in fact, a surprisingly good film, I know I was shocked when I watched it. It's actually a film, and not just a load of gore and sleaze ... although it's got tons of that as well.

Dillinger
18-Jun-2008, 01:14 PM
84C Mopic or 84 Charlie Mopic used the first person camera long before Blair Witch. It was almost like a 1st person shooter video game in a Vietnam setting. Pretty cool movie actually. In fact, you can catch it on Stars or HBO every now and again really late at night.

As for Cannibal Holocaust. I had the (dis?)pleasure of seeing that a while back. You're right that it had lost footage that the reporter brought to New York, but it still had a normal camera style.

Which brings me full circle to Blair Witch. It wasn't original, it wasn't scary and it is exactly what it is, a college movie. Everything it had, 84C had, and 84C actually executed it better than Blair Witch's shaky cam or the news cam used in REC.

As for New York being the opening for those Cannibal movies, ala Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, etc.. I read in an old magazine of mine that Italian law required directors to begin all cannibal movies in New York. It didn't elaborate why or anything, but it was some censorship loophole or something.

MinionZombie
18-Jun-2008, 04:22 PM
It didn't elaborate why or anything, but it was some censorship loophole or something.

I'd heard it was something to do with selling them to an American audience, made it easier like. Same thing with Zombi 2, bit of New York at the start and finish, and in between it's all island somewhere that definitely isn't anywhere near New York. :p

EvilNed
18-Jun-2008, 05:59 PM
I'd heard it was something to do with selling them to an American audience, made it easier like. Same thing with Zombi 2, bit of New York at the start and finish, and in between it's all island somewhere that definitely isn't anywhere near New York. :p

Yeah. If they include New York it opens up to a grander audience.

Also, Cannibal Holocaust was definetly the first of it's kind. Only difference between it and Blair Witch (in that thematic point of view) is that half of Cannibal Holocaust is about the guy finding the footage. THEN we get the footage. But the party that everyone remembers is the footage anyway.

Redman6565
18-Jun-2008, 10:18 PM
Blair Witch wasn't even the first to utilize the "found footage" concept; Cannibal Holocaust did that, as well, and so did another film produced around the same time called The Last Broadcast which was ultimately out-hyped by Blair Witch.

The reason that people believed Blair Witch was real was due to the film's marketing. At least one year prior to the film finding a distributor and being released theatrically, the filmmakers launched a web site to feed out bits of the back story as though it were a real historical event.

One of the primary inspirations for Blair Witch was the In Search Of... tv series; the filmmakers simply manufactured their own phenomena to investigate. As entertainment, that much is brilliant, but I don't know of anyone that believed it was real after watching the actual movie.

Due to the way Blair Witch was filmed, there are many little details in the movie that are entirely lost on the audience unless they happened to know the back story.

So if the Last Broadcast out-hyped Blair Witch then why doesn't everyone compare POV flicks to it? Blair Witch was far more popular. As for the back story, that was a great idea. They used the net to pump it all up and it worked out fantastic for them. As for any story lost on the audience that also worked out. People hunted it up and continued to look for stuff after seeing the movie. The whole thing was brilliant.

Dillinger
19-Jun-2008, 06:39 AM
So if the Last Broadcast out-hyped Blair Witch then why doesn't everyone compare POV flicks to it? Blair Witch was far more popular. As for the back story, that was a great idea. They used the net to pump it all up and it worked out fantastic for them. As for any story lost on the audience that also worked out. People hunted it up and continued to look for stuff after seeing the movie. The whole thing was brilliant.

If you think the Blair Witch Project was brilliant, then you definitely have sh|tty taste in movies. Sorry man, but it is what it is.

MinionZombie
19-Jun-2008, 10:39 AM

The Last Broadcast which was ultimately out-hyped by Blair Witch

He said that Blair Witch out-hyped Last Broadcast, not the other way around.

I don't remember being that impressed with TLB, but I did enjoy TBWP, although I knew from the off it wasn't real - one simple reason - you could buy merchandise like beanie caps. You'd never sell merchandise for a film if it was really about real people who actually died in real life, nor would you put real people's deaths into the cinema in real life in that style.

So I just enjoyed it for what it was and ignored as much of the hype as possible that surrounded it, hype is always a killer for movies, either it doesn't live up to it, or it gets swamped in it and soon the hype comes before the movie on the scale of importance.

Danny
19-Jun-2008, 11:38 AM

i think the last broadcast is more famous from a filmmaking standpoint, for being the first film completely created digitally, from conception to distribution.
i love blair witch but the last broadcast is good too.

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 04:18 AM

*** BEWARE FOLKS WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IF FOR THE SPOILERS!!!! ***

So in madrid ,i think, a girl contracts the virus, she turns and is chained up by her family. They believe she is possessed by the devil and send in the vatican.
The police or something are after her and a man from the vatican smuggles her away and sneaks here into this penthouse he owns, which he chains her in the attic and adorns it with religious iconography and talismans to contain what he at first believes is the devil.
Though as time goes on he discovers it is some virus, possibly rabies she has contracted, and it has mutated within her to increase severity and contagiousness. He searches for a cure whilst keeping her prisoner, disappearing for weeks to track down sources of info, and during this time , somehow her saliva gets form the her attic prison ,down into the bloodstream of the dog max, possibly just through a crack by chance and ,being a dog, max licked it up.
The dog then spread it to a few members of the apartment, and is taken to the vet, spreads it there but it is contained, then the police alert the proper authorities on disease and they show up at the dogs owners apartment building just as **** goes down.
The **** goes down. they dwindle to just the cameraman and presenter, they get into the penthouse and discover the information , there is a lab in the living room and the vatican man is off on one of his journeys, the attic trap doorbreaks and the cameraman alerts her to there presence, she then gets down and kills them.

what happens next is up to your imagination.

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 08:00 AM
So in madrid ,i think, a girl contracts the virus, she turns and is chained up by her family. They believe she is possessed by the devil and send in the vatican.
The police or something are after her and a man from the vatican smuggles her away and sneaks here into this penthouse he owns, which he chains her in the attic and adorns it with religious iconography and talismans to contain what he at first believes is the devil.
Though as time goes on he discovers it is some virus, possibly rabies she has contracted, and it has mutated within her to increase severity and contagiousness. He searches for a cure whilst keeping her prisoner, disappearing for weeks to track down sources of info, and during this time , somehow her saliva gets form the her attic prison ,down into the bloodstream of the dog max, possibly just through a crack by chance and ,being a dog, max licked it up.
The dog then spread it to a few members of the apartment, and is taken to the vet, spreads it there but it is contained, then the police alert the proper authorities on disease and they show up at the dogs owners apartment building just as **** goes down.
The **** goes down. they dwindle to just the cameraman and presenter, they get into the penthouse and discover the information , there is a lab in the living room and the vatican man is off on one of his journeys, the attic trap doorbreaks and the cameraman alerts her to there presence, she then gets down and kills them.

what happens next is up to your imagination.

But...
We saw a young boy up in the loft? That wasn't the female 'creature' we then saw with the hammer?

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 10:44 AM
i think that was the same person Neil, just a trick of the light.

EvilNed
24-Jun-2008, 01:06 PM
If you think the Blair Witch Project was brilliant, then you definitely have sh|tty taste in movies. Sorry man, but it is what it is.

I love people who seem to think they, and no other, should decide what is "good" and "bad" taste and then parade it around as if it was fact...

Deadman_Deluxe
24-Jun-2008, 02:11 PM
i think that was the same person Neil, just a trick of the light.

Nah,

It was a young boy up in the crawlspace, having watched the movie several times, and pausing on the boy's face just to make sure, i am 100% confident on that. It really puzzled me, still does, as to who he was and why he was there.

Anyone got an answer or theory to this?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4956/reclq6.jpg

My theory? Right now? Off the top of my head? Well, you know how priests and young boys mix, maybe he took this young boy back to sexually abuse him, and he somehow got infected while at the apartment and was then locked in while the priest continued his search for a cure?

The fact that the film makers chose to include this scene, brief as it was, and then to NOT give any hint at why/what/where/when is an odd one!

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 02:33 PM
Damn you! Even that still image gives me the heebie geebies!!!!

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 02:37 PM
not as bad as the night vision bitch you gotta admit.

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 02:48 PM
not as bad as the night vision bitch you gotta admit.
PLEASE no pictures of her! Unless in a SPOILER tag!

slickwilly13
24-Jun-2008, 03:46 PM
Could someone recommend a link to watch it, since I heard no news of it coming here, yet? There are so many sites I do not know which one to go to.

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 04:41 PM
Could someone recommend a link to watch it, since I heard no news of it coming here, yet? There are so many sites I do not know which one to go to.

SCANDALOUS SIR!, i could never do that:sneaky:

Deadman_Deluxe
25-Jun-2008, 07:56 PM
Damn you! Even that still image gives me the heebie geebies!!!!

Hah! :skull:

But we are all agreed now though right? It is definitely a young boy and NOT the skinny witch ... right?

Redman6565
27-Jun-2008, 10:49 PM

After reading your post here I'd have to say that Blair was over your head. Brain dead is no way to go through life son. Sorry man, but it is what it is. :moon:

He said that Blair Witch out-hyped Last Broadcast, not the other way around.

I don't remember being that impressed with TLB, but I did enjoy TBWP, although I knew from the off it wasn't real - one simple reason - you could buy merchandise like beanie caps. You'd never sell merchandise for a film if it was really about real people who actually died in real life, nor would you put real people's deaths into the cinema in real life in that style.

So I just enjoyed it for what it was and ignored as much of the hype as possible that surrounded it, hype is always a killer for movies, either it doesn't live up to it, or it gets swamped in it and soon the hype comes before the movie on the scale of importance.

I have never scene TLB I will have to check it out. The reason I likedBW so much was that when it first hit theaters a lot of people still thought it was real. All the stuff on line about the entire history of BW was flat out brilliant. Inever laughed so hard as I did when my wife looked at me during the movie and said 'did you know this was real'. God that was great. Heck I had popcorn coming out of my nose I laughed so hard.

The VHS stuff they released after the movie came out was cool to. All the stuff that was shot like some news show. Sure they took ideas from other stuff and came up with BW. In the end they did a nice job.

I love people who seem to think they, and no other, should decide what is "good" and "bad" taste and then parade it around as if it was fact...

It's okay. We all do it from time to time. If I think something is badI'll make my pointas to why and people can take it or leave it. Then you have the jerks that like to get personal. At the end of the day I take them with a grain of salt. Which by the way is more than they are worth. :lol:

Nah,

It was a young boy up in the crawlspace, having watched the movie several times, and pausing on the boy's face just to make sure, i am 100% confident on that. It really puzzled me, still does, as to who he was and why he was there.

Anyone got an answer or theory to this?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4956/reclq6.jpg

My theory? Right now? Off the top of my head? Well, you know how priests and young boys mix, maybe he took this young boy back to sexually abuse him, and he somehow got infected while at the apartment and was then locked in while the priest continued his search for a cure?

The fact that the film makers chose to include this scene, brief as it was, and then to NOT give any hint at why/what/where/when is an odd one!

Ok stupid question time. Is this from the Last Broadcast? haha you guys are naming all these movies I need to grab a pen and paper and make me a nice list and go shopping. :cool:

clanglee
28-Jun-2008, 12:16 AM
Nah Red, It's DD's Theory on REC. :)

Redman6565
29-Jun-2008, 12:36 AM
We have what, two months until the US release?

Danny
29-Jun-2008, 01:20 AM
trailer comparison time

The last broadcast

pBUGoO9WJww

The blair witch project

HZu1cTg-xUM

rec

GAnbWCjmOkA

clanglee
03-Jul-2008, 07:16 AM
What I wanna know is when the hell does this movie come out?!?!?

XdjFcoe2950

Neil
04-Jul-2008, 11:39 AM
What I wanna know is when the hell does this movie come out?!?!?

XdjFcoe2950

Great! More torture porn, now done in POV :bored:

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2008, 06:39 PM
It looks like a less violent, more acceptable version of August Underground, if you ask me ... you know, with more plot and music in the background and stuff.

Redman6565
04-Jul-2008, 10:13 PM
I want Rec. That looks so good. Clang's clip, haha that has a ring to it, looks good to. It doesn't seem quite as bad as some of the other torture flicks. More like Silence of the Lambs.

Are Rec and Quarantine the same movies? Also, any news on the release of the CG Resident Evil movie?

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2008, 11:07 AM
Quarantine is the American remake of Rec. - i.e. - it's in English and exactly the same, throw in a couple of moderately famous actors, toss a trailer together that gives away the ending, and there you are ... uninspired. :rolleyes:

Neil
05-Jul-2008, 11:30 AM
Quarantine is the American remake of Rec. - i.e. - it's in English and exactly the same, throw in a couple of moderately famous actors, toss a trailer together that gives away the ending, and there you are ... uninspired. :rolleyes:

Have you seen it? It's the same director again so maybe he's improved on it?

Redman6565
05-Jul-2008, 03:38 PM

Uninspired? That's a good word to describe Diary. I like the idea of making an American version if it's a good story.

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2008, 05:07 PM
Have you seen it? It's the same director again so maybe he's improved on it?
The same guy again?!

Well ... better him than Mc-f*ckin'-G ... I'll watch it no doubt, so I can properly compare...but the trailer left something to be desired, and giving away the ending was just silly - whoever makes these trailers are idiots.

All trailers in the mainstream, and increasingly elsewhere (indie and TV) are just the exact same ... ugh.

Redman6565
05-Jul-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't want to see it until the US version hits theaters in October.

clanglee
08-Jul-2008, 01:40 AM
Great! More torture porn, now done in POV :bored:

I don't see it as torture porn. . . It's a jaunt into the sick mind of a twisted serial killer. My wife, being the sick puppy that she is(I love her so) is very excited about this movie. But as far as I am aware, it has never released. . .theatrically or on DVD. So I was just checking to see if anyone else had heard of it.

Danny
08-Jul-2008, 10:23 AM
The same guy again?!

Well ... better him than Mc-f*ckin'-G ... I'll watch it no doubt, so I can properly compare...but the trailer left something to be desired, and giving away the ending was just silly - whoever makes these trailers are idiots.

All trailers in the mainstream, and increasingly elsewhere (indie and TV) are just the exact same ... ugh.

with the same guys you never know, it was the same guys behind the grudge remake, and in its own way it was just as bitching as the original.

clanglee
11-Jul-2008, 03:45 AM
Yeah, It might not be too bad at all with the same director. . . but still. . It's such a great movie by itself. . I just wish we could get a wide release of the original here in the states. Oh well. :(

dracenstein
11-Aug-2008, 10:20 PM
Just bought the DVD today and watched it. Bloody brilliant! And scary! And I love the girl who played Angela.

Apparently there's going to be a sequel, supposedly out next year.

Millard Rausch
11-Aug-2008, 10:41 PM
The American re-imagining has a much less appetizing
heroine.

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2008, 08:38 AM
The American re-imagining has a much less appetizing
heroine.
The chick from Dexter I believe, the one that plays his sister.

dracenstein
12-Aug-2008, 06:26 PM
I wasn't referring to the American re-imagining, but a proper Spanish made sequel.

Bub666
12-Aug-2008, 06:40 PM
I just got done watching this movie,and it was a really good movie.

Millard Rausch
13-Aug-2008, 02:13 AM
So I am not a sheeple
*wtf and why should I care what dexter is? or has to do with this*

clanglee
13-Aug-2008, 02:44 AM
So I am not a sheeple
*wtf and why should I care what dexter is? or has to do with this*

What?

Man, you ain't been here long, so I'll be a bit more forgiving. But you need to calm down a bit. You have had few posts so far, and almost all of them are hostile. We are a nice group of folk here. . we try to get along. It doesn't always work, but it works a lot better if you TRY.

Trencher
14-Aug-2008, 11:04 PM
Looks like the American version is going to go more in the "the goverment is evil" direction. Also the American trailer gives away way to much.

Rec was a great movie exept for the ending which in my oppinion sucked. Suddenly there was people possesed and their possesion had somehow turned into an enzyme of some sort. And then the director said, screw it let the last minutes of the movie be of the actress showing her clevage to the camra because this story is not going anywhere.

clanglee
14-Aug-2008, 11:09 PM
I thought the ending was very very creepy. It had a Blair Witch kind of a feel to it.

Neil
15-Aug-2008, 09:25 AM
Rec was a great movie exept for the ending which in my oppinion sucked. Suddenly there was people possesed and their possesion had somehow turned into an enzyme of some sort. And then the director said, screw it let the last minutes of the movie be of the actress showing her clevage to the camra because this story is not going anywhere.

The ending didn't make sense in some ways... Who was the boy in the loft?

Trencher
15-Aug-2008, 03:01 PM
I thought it was an evil spirit and I thought the thin one was the priest. And I also thought that the possesed girl that people were talking about were the girl we met to begin with. I thought the ending was allover the place and did not make much sense. Offcourse I might have gotten it wrong but I thought it was confusing.

Rottedfreak
18-Aug-2008, 11:54 AM
I saw it yesterday and loved every minute of it.

The ending didn't make sense in some ways... Who was the boy in the loft?

The boy in the loft was the asian couples boy you only see him once and that's when the TV crew interview the residents. How he got up there (the loft) may be an explanation for the outbreak, he and the little girl could have played there alot and became infected or posessed and then spread it to the others.

Trencher
18-Aug-2008, 02:37 PM
That explains a lot.

Legion2213
19-Aug-2008, 12:22 AM
Got my 2 disk special edition of this from Play.com the other day. :cool: