PDA

View Full Version : A friendly tittle makes it all better.

Tied2thetracks
25-Mar-2008, 11:41 PM
A rose by anyother name...

http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frosty306.htm

Don't look at it if you don't want to have a re-read of the closed thread. I don't need anymore uninformed people crying racist. I would reccomend anyone offended by the site mentioned in an earlier post to actually go there and see how they chose their name.

As for politicts in here it shoud be open both ways or no ways. It is a privatley owned site i understand, but I should be able to argue my side even if closed minded liberals disagree.

I am offended at being called a racist, that should be a bannable offense. It is not racist to state facts and support law.

There is no reason my thread shoud have been shut down. Grow up and get a pair instead of crying to mommy.

.....waiting for my vacation.

clanglee
26-Mar-2008, 12:07 AM
*sigh*

the only reason I even looked into this thread was that I thought it was about amicable mamarys. :(

AcesandEights
26-Mar-2008, 12:16 AM
No worries, T2T; you're a decent "person" in my book ;)

Tied2thetracks
26-Mar-2008, 12:17 AM
Sorry, I tried to edit that.

AcesandEights
26-Mar-2008, 12:24 AM
Dude, no worries. I agree with some of what you say and disagree with the way some of it is said (on occasion), but your viewpoint is always appreciated, as far as I'm concerned.

Kaos
26-Mar-2008, 12:41 AM
Thread is closed due to insubordination:
http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/faq.php?faq=conduct_item#faq_inso_item

Whereas I agree that there should be room for discourse on both sides of the political aisle, your first post was positioned in such a ridiculously offensive manner that it was closed. I personally wouldn't have even touched if you had taken the care to exclude the offensive characterizations.

I am leaving the decision to actually remove this thread altogether to MinionZombie, but indeed your vacation is granted as requested, tied.

MinionZombie
26-Mar-2008, 12:09 PM
To clarify my position:

1) I didn't visit the site as yes, I assumed it was a racist website, and quite frankly I didn't want to visit it at all, or be associated with it, due to that assumption.

An explanation would have helped though. Clearly I was not the only one left confused as to the true nature or intent of the post.

Also, Tied has made posts about Illegal Immigration in the past which have proved offensive to some, or have lead to thread closures. No doubt this influenced my decision to close the thread to avoid a potential flame war.

2) However - the post did cause offense to multiple people, so that separate issue still stands and was the main reason for closure of the thread.

3) Regarding the political issue:

HPOTD is politically even, it is well known that I myself vote Conservative, but do so with a Liberal mind. I find it funny in a way, I either hear that HPOTD is overtly Left Wing or overtly Right Wing. Ultimately what HPOTD's members are, is passionate (be it politically or not).

The thread closure was not about politics, but about aforementioned offense.

4) I did not call Tied a racist and did not intend such a thing either. I still respect Tied as a member, as I have always done, but was merely pointing out that this isn't Tied's first post regarding illegal immigration which has caused offense or ill feeling amongst other members, be it confused or not, justified or not. Which brings me to...

5) With such issues, clarity is of paramount importance.

Regardless of the source of the quoted text, it caused offense to multiple members, which was the main reason for the thread being closed.

I have freely admitted why I did not wish to click the link, and wish to keep this issue transparent to the members - and to perhaps allow it to be used as an example as to why total clarity on thorny issues is absolutely necessary, particularly on a forum represented merely in text.

I apologise for not researching further (due to time constraints in real life), which I should have done. We are both in the wrong.

I needed to research further, but my key reason for closing the thread was the offense caused to others which had been reported.

Tied, I would appreciate if in future that, if you do make a post regarding a thorny issue such as Illegal Immigration, that you do so with absolute clarity.

I hope this clarifies the issue for those involved or interested.

Cheers. :)