PDA

View Full Version : tha janitor zombie in dawn...

Mike70
26-Mar-2008, 02:00 PM
or maybe he is some sort of repair/workman type played by john harrison.

i was wondering a bit about why this guy was inside penny's and how he had died. having looked at the scene in the film there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason/signs of violence for why he kicked it.

starvation doesn't seem to be possibilty, because the attack on roger takes place right in front of candy/snack rack where you can see jars that look a hell of a lot like the old style peanut jars and lots of boxes of candy. since the power was on the water fountains would've still been working so dehydration doesn't seem to be the answer either.

so wondering about this, i fired up the script that is linked in the films section and went to where this scene should be. much to my surprise i didn't find it in the place it should be which further makes me wonder if:

i have simply missed it (though i looked on a few pages several times).

the scene was originally intended to take place later in the movie and was simply moved to the point in the film where it now is.

or:

this was an "on the fly" gag that they came up with as they were shooting the movie. one of those wouldn't it be great if... moments.

for reference sake i am using the extended edition of dawn and this scene takes place between 50:25 - 50:56.

Choas
26-Mar-2008, 02:13 PM
I think he's a repair man. Most janitor's don't wear toolbelts.
Perhaps he died of a heart attack.Last, it was a "on the fly" gag.

axlish
26-Mar-2008, 02:23 PM
The Janitor Zombie scene was added because of a continuity error. Roger had a jacket tied around his waist and later removed it and filmed a few more scenes. They had to add the Janitor scene to remove the jacket from his waist, as the dead zombie hands clinched the jacket forcing its removal. Cool effect too.

Mike70
26-Mar-2008, 02:25 PM
Perhaps he died of a heart attack.

or on a more humorous note, perhaps he was mcdermott's younger brother and died of the DTs and alcohol withdrawl.

bassman
26-Mar-2008, 02:25 PM
You mean the screwdriver zombie, right?

I may be mistaken, but isn't there something mentioned on the Dawn UE documentary about it being a quick gag that they came up with on the spot? Seems like I remember mention of that because after they decided to throw Harrison in there, Savini talks about how he came up with the idea for how the screwdriver works.....

Choas
26-Mar-2008, 02:31 PM
You mean the screwdriver zombie, right?

I may be mistaken, but isn't there something mentioned on the Dawn UE documentary about it being a quick gag that they came up with on the spot? Seems like I remember mention of that because after they decided to throw Harrison in there, Savini talks about how he came up with the idea for how the screwdriver works.....

They did talk about it on the dvd.

Choas
26-Mar-2008, 02:41 PM
They did talk about it on the dvd.

Mike70
26-Mar-2008, 03:45 PM
oh well. i don't have dawn UE and haven't listened to any dawn commentary in ages upon ages.

bassman
26-Mar-2008, 04:09 PM
oh well. i don't have dawn UE and haven't listened to any dawn commentary in ages upon ages.

Whaaa? Get your ass out there and by the Ultimate Edition, Mike!:eek:

Mike70
26-Mar-2008, 04:35 PM
Whaaa? Get your ass out there and by the Ultimate Edition, Mike!:eek:

Sir, yes sir!:lol:

on a serious tip though i've got the versions in there seperately. that is why i am dragging ass about ponying up the 40 dollars or so for it.

you should see the look on my wife's face when i talk about getting more romero stuff.. the look is swiftly followed by "don't you have that already??"

Griff
26-Mar-2008, 04:42 PM
Maybe he was electrocuted when performing routine maintenance. It happens.

All I wanna know is: with all these dead people around, how come none of them have shat their pants? That happens also.

axlish
26-Mar-2008, 04:46 PM
He needed to escape the dreadful reality that the zombie apocalypse presented, and he died from huffing too much industrial strength paint thinner in the break room. He rose from the dead and began to hunt food, but so much of his brain had turned to mush due to the inhalation. He literally stood there for three weeks, staring at the ceiling lights and didn't notice the humans until a third one rushed past.

DubiousComforts
26-Mar-2008, 05:19 PM
All I wanna know is: with all these dead people around, how come none of them have shat their pants?
How do you know that none of them haven't? I don't recall anyone actually checking in any of the films.

"Looks like 8 or 10 of them now, and about half are sporting brownies."
"There's a lot of number 2 out back, too."

You just had to ask...

dirtydwarf
26-Mar-2008, 09:58 PM
Maybe he was electrocuted when performing routine maintenance. It happens.

All I wanna know is: with all these dead people around, how come none of them have shat their pants? That happens also.

Because there was a mix up with the caterers. The brownies that were supposed to be ground into the seat of said zombies trousers were accidentally delivered to the crew buffet...and promptly devoured....oh yeah....heads rolled for that one, believe me...

Danny
26-Mar-2008, 10:30 PM
i think it was just an "oh , this would be cool" moment myself.

Yojimbo
26-Mar-2008, 11:09 PM
The Janitor Zombie scene was added because of a continuity error. Roger had a jacket tied around his waist and later removed it and filmed a few more scenes. They had to add the Janitor scene to remove the jacket from his waist, as the dead zombie hands clinched the jacket forcing its removal. Cool effect too.

Axlish is correct about the gag being inserted to correct a continuity problem.

Wondering though about the other worker dude -- the one in the boiler room -- and how he died. He had a really weird looking bruise on his face, like he was burned or something. Was he a worker in the boiler room employed by the mall (and maybe the gun that Stephen found in the desk was his?) or did die someplace else and just happen to stumble into the boiler room through the hallway door?

Mike70
26-Mar-2008, 11:30 PM
Axlish is correct about the gag being inserted to correct a continuity problem.

Wondering though about the other worker dude -- the one in the boiler room -- and how he died. He had a really weird looking bruise on his face, like he was burned or something. Was he a worker in the boiler room employed by the mall (and maybe the gun that Stephen found in the desk was his?) or did die someplace else and just happen to stumble into the boiler room through the hallway door?

that guy is a security guard. the gash on his forehead is pretty dire looking. i wonder if he was bitten by the zombies outside then made his way in there to hide?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/mikemor70/dawnq.jpg?t=1206573869