PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding review of World War Z script

Geophyrd
27-Mar-2008, 01:46 PM
Moriarity at AICN reviews J Michael Strazinski's script for World War Z. I'm certain this might be in the wrong forum. I put it in Dead Discussion. Curious to see where it winds up.

Anyhow...the review is here (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36168). By way of preview "This isn’t just a good adaptation of a difficult book... it’s a genre-defining piece of work that could well see us all arguing about whether or not a zombie movie qualifies as “Best Picture” material."

Neil
27-Mar-2008, 04:01 PM
Good stuff :)

bassman
27-Mar-2008, 04:02 PM
Sounds great. Hopefully they'll get a director that can do it justice.

I trust the writer. He wrote a few Real Ghostbusters episodes.:p

Griff
27-Mar-2008, 04:23 PM
Hmmmm... he obviously likes it but his review ends quite abruptly without really giving us an impression of what the screenplay has instore for us. Maybe he just assumes we've all read the book.

Yojimbo
27-Mar-2008, 06:13 PM
Dudes, is that script viewable anywhere online that you folks know about? If so, would someone be so good as to share a link with the rest of us.

ProfessorChaos
27-Mar-2008, 06:39 PM
i'm too rushed to bother looking right now, but does anyone have an idea when we can expect this film?

if it's half as good as the book, it'll be AMAZING.:hyper:

kidgloves
27-Mar-2008, 06:39 PM
Some guy on the imdb boards claims to have it. He seems credible enough so it might be worth a try. Let me know if you have any luck :D

bd2999
28-Mar-2008, 03:10 AM
JMS, as he is known in comic book circles, is a good writter. In both comics and in battlestar galactica during his run (although that is through rep only, I have never watched it), but his current take on Thor is great.

Not sure what to think about him doing this screenplay or anything but he is capable. I really liked the book, I could see most of it being made into a movie but it would be tough to do right.

Mike70
28-Mar-2008, 03:40 AM
in battlestar galactica during his run (although that is through rep only, I have never watched it),

bd - JMS did Babylon 5. battlestar galactica (the scifi version) is done by ronald moore. the original BSG was done by glen larson.

he is a great writer. if this script isn't dicked around with, this could be the dog's balls.

Danny
28-Mar-2008, 04:12 AM
i really hope mark hamil plays the soldier like he did in the audio novel, the voice was absolutely spot on and i recon he could do a great job of it.

bassman
28-Mar-2008, 12:21 PM
i really hope mark hamil plays the soldier like he did in the audio novel, the voice was absolutely spot on and i recon he could do a great job of it.

Does Hamill even act anymore? All I've seen him do lately with the exeption of his cameo in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is voice over work.

(His work as The Joker in Batman: The Animated Series is freaking legendary)

blind2d
28-Mar-2008, 01:03 PM
My Dad met Mark at Knott's Berry Farm in the 80's, no bull! I'm a big fan, personally.

bassman
28-Mar-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not saying that it will happen or even that I think it should happen, but if Max Brooks has any say with the film's production(probably not) do you think he would recommend Romero? And if so, do you think Romero would accept it?

kidgloves
28-Mar-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm not saying that it will happen or even that I think it should happen, but if Max Brooks has any say with the film's production(probably not) do you think he would recommend Romero? And if so, do you think Romero would accept it?

Theres a homemade video floating around on youtube from one of the conventions with a panel of Brooks and Romero. Later on JMS turns up and it all looks very cosy indeed.

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdJtSs9CwE&feature=related

I don't know why, but i wouldn't want Romero to do WWZ. A young and upcoming director with something to prove would be a better choice.

UndeadGuyX
28-Mar-2008, 10:15 PM
Theres a homemade video floating around on youtube from one of the conventions with a panel of Brooks and Romero. Later on JMS turns up and it all looks very cosy indeed.

Here you go

I don't know why, but i wouldn't want Romero to do WWZ. A young and upcoming director with something to prove would be a better choice.

As long as its not Zack Snyder I'm fine.

Choas
29-Mar-2008, 03:42 AM
That was a great book.I can't wait to see it.Hope they don't mess it up.

Zombie Snack
29-Mar-2008, 05:14 AM
I am reading the book now, enjoying it very much...so much detail and vividness in the story....this movie needs to be done in EPIC proportions...I mean this is World WarZ.

venom012
30-Mar-2008, 01:12 AM

Here you go

Yeah Uwe Bol guy that did House of the Dead. Just kidding! I could not pass up on that joke. I think Guilmero Del Torro the Hellboy and Pan director would be a decent choice.

DawnGirl27
16-Oct-2008, 07:55 PM
Am I delerious, or did I hear rumors that Brad Pitt was being considered to star in the actual movie whenever it comes out? I don't know - I mean, he's good in certain parts, but this??? :rockbrow:

kidgloves
16-Oct-2008, 08:44 PM
Am I delerious, or did I hear rumors that Brad Pitt was being considered to star in the actual movie whenever it comes out? I don't know - I mean, he's good in certain parts, but this??? :rockbrow:

Nope. Pitts production company, Plan B, bought the rights. As far as I know that's the only attachment he has to it.

Bub666
17-Oct-2008, 02:26 AM

I hope he's not going to be in this movie.If he is,he's going to totally ruin the movie.

Thorn
17-Oct-2008, 01:21 PM
Dudes, is that script viewable anywhere online that you folks know about? If so, would someone be so good as to share a link with the rest of us.

I am not sure if posting it is bad form at this point, as it was leaked sometime ago and has long been available. I will however post a link to an article that has excerpts from it which may wet your whistle.

WARNING SPOILERS: SPOILERS BELOW
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141966

Neil
17-Oct-2008, 01:31 PM
Please let's not end up with fast zombies!

Yojimbo
17-Oct-2008, 05:35 PM
I am not sure if posting it is bad form at this point, as it was leaked sometime ago and has long been available. I will however post a link to an article that has excerpts from it which may wet your whistle.

WARNING SPOILERS: SPOILERS BELOW
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141966
Thanks Thorn. It sounds pretty cool, except the ghouls as scripted sound like they could be runners. Sure hope not, though!

MinionZombie
17-Oct-2008, 06:22 PM
Please let's not end up with fast zombies!
Oh FFS, fast zombies in WWZ?! :mad:

Come on! The only time fast ones should and can be excused is in ROTLD and Deadlands, that's it for me to be honest, Yawn04 can go eff itself in the ayy. :lol:

I could also blame 28 Days Later ... ... but it's NOT a zombie film, so that's let off the hook.

Anyway, WWZ is supposed to be shamblers, correct? I want my damn shamblers!!!

If they're not going to play the game properly, they might as well just go home ... *picks up jumper from ground, leaving a one-post goal there, takes the only ball and walks home* :rant:

AcesandEights
17-Oct-2008, 07:29 PM
Pretty sure they're not supposed to be runners in the scripted version, just fliers. :p

*Crosses fingers for shamblers*

sandrock74
17-Oct-2008, 08:04 PM
Good God! Whats with all the running zombies nowadays?!? Whats next...underwater zombies from Atlantis? Outer space zombies attacking the Enterprise? Transformers zombies??

Geez...

hadrian0117
17-Oct-2008, 09:50 PM
Hmm, it looks like the narrator will be more of a character and have both a name and a backstory.

Bub666
18-Oct-2008, 12:06 AM
They better not have running zombies in this movie.I will be pissed off if they have running zombie in it.

Skippy911sc
18-Oct-2008, 05:03 PM
I always pictured Edward Norton in the lead while reading the book. He has that innocent yet marred past look in his eyes.

venom012
19-Oct-2008, 01:15 AM
JMS, as he is known in comic book circles, is a good writter. In both comics and in battlestar galactica during his run (although that is through rep only, I have never watched it), but his current take on Thor is great.

Not sure what to think about him doing this screenplay or anything but he is capable. I really liked the book, I could see most of it being made into a movie but it would be tough to do right.

JMS will do WWZ justice! There is enough info in that book to make 3 movies . I cant wait to see the book on the silver screen.

Bub666
19-Oct-2008, 02:07 AM
JMS will do WWZ justice! There is enough info in that book to make 3 movies . I cant wait to see the book on the silver screen.

I agree,they could make the book into 3 movies if they wanted too.

kidgloves
19-Oct-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh FFS. You can't have fast zombies in WWZ. It totally goes against what the book is about ie no-one reacts because they don't believe it's happening. It builds up slowly before it's too late like Dawn. Fast zombies can't be ignored or denied.
No no no no no no to fast Zombies for this movie.