PDA

View Full Version : ugh, like a shot to the body...

Mike70
27-Mar-2008, 11:39 PM
a reminder of just how old and decrepit i am getting.

i found this little love note in my email this afternoon:

You are cordially invited to the

Anderson High School

Class of 1988

20 Year Reunion

Where: Jaspers in Mt. Lookout, Ohio
www.Jaspersmtlookout.com

When: July 12, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Price: $50.00 per person, spouses and dates welcome
Includes Music, Food, Fun and either four Beer or two Wine tickets
Cash Bar also available

Please forward this Invite with check or cash to Brenda Evans-Shingleton
Address: 8650 XXXX, Cincinnati, Ohio 45255

Please come! We should have a great turnout!

Please forward any e-mail addresses or other contact information
for any classmates to XXXXXXXXXXX.

Committee members: Barb Hilgendorf Sluder, Teresa Albers Hennessey,
Eileen Chapman Geis, Brenda Evans Shingleton, Kelly Byrnside Fisher,
Dena VanSlaars Keiser, Robin Smith Maddy, Misty McCammon Barnes,
Trisha Beckelheimer Klimkoski, Kelly Keaton Lutz

Any questions please e-mail XXXXXXXX or
call Teresa Albers Hennessey 513-943-XXXX

argh. i'll probably go for the sheer sake of seeing what became of some of the people i grew up with and haven't seen in eons.

Skippy911sc
28-Mar-2008, 12:38 AM
Wow...do you remember the Beatles? ;)

I am only 2 years behind ya!

Danny
28-Mar-2008, 01:01 AM
...that was the year i was born.:lol:

Mike70
28-Mar-2008, 01:03 AM
...that was the year i was born.:lol:

i so hate you right now.:p:lol:

Kaos
28-Mar-2008, 01:07 AM
Stop picking on scipio, he just got back from his prostate exam and he is a little sore right now.

Danny
28-Mar-2008, 01:13 AM
i so hate you right now.:p:lol:

do you remember black and white television?:p

Mike70
28-Mar-2008, 01:21 AM
Stop picking on scipio, he just got back from his prostate exam and he is a little sore right now.

yeah the least the doc could've done was buy me a drink.
:D

clanglee
28-Mar-2008, 01:52 AM
Helsing will never know what a Television knob is. . .isn't that weird.

Don't feel bad Scip. . . I too shall reach that hurdle soon. . .and I dreead it. . .oh how I dread it.

MaximusIncredulous
28-Mar-2008, 02:26 AM

Or rabbit ears and the ritual of placing them in all sorts of positions to get reception.

Mike70
28-Mar-2008, 02:36 AM
Or rabbit ears and the ritual of placing them in all sorts of positions to get reception.

or when every house in neighborhood had one of those giant aerials on it. and the choices of like 5 or 6 channels.

let's run down tv memory lane here, we got:

abc
cbs
nbc
the two independent channels 19 (coolest tv channel ever) and 64 (another killer indepent channel)
and pbs.

that was it until cable came along in 1981/2 or so.

Danny
28-Mar-2008, 02:51 AM
do you spend nights in drunken dive bars ranting about how "70's boobs were different"?:lol:

Mike70
28-Mar-2008, 02:55 AM
do you spend nights in drunken dive bars ranting about how "70's boobs were different"?:lol:

no but maybe some of us should start doing just that. in fact now that you mention it...

here is an article from cracked.com comparing the women of the 70s/early 80s to celeb chicks of today. i think the chicks from back in the day crush the competition. the first one is esp. ridiculous. trying to compare lindsey lohan to bo derek is like comparing a vw microbus (lohan) to a ferrari (derek). oh and further down the list, comparing any female with phoebe cates (some of the best on screen nudity ever) iis patently insane.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15159_sex-off-women-70s-vs-today.html

clanglee
28-Mar-2008, 02:56 AM
:shifty: maybe. . . :shifty:

Danny
28-Mar-2008, 03:08 AM
Do you still feel pissed about the change of coke recipe and wasteful cans over bottles wich can be used to keep nick knacks in?

strayrider
28-Mar-2008, 05:46 AM
LOL ... Class of '80 here.

I remember the night John Lennon was shot and Howard Cosell announced it during Monday Night Football. Farrah Fawcett and Charlie's Angels. The premier of Saturday Night Live. KISS! Boot-Cut jeans. Farrah Fawcett. My Chevy Impala which I could damn near fill for $5 and cruise all night listening to the Doors on my 8-track tape player. Farrah Fawcett. Comic books were 20-cents. Farrah Fawcett ...

Ah, we all get old. No big deal. I'm still digging life.

As for the "rabbit ears" comment Maximus made ... LOL, I was still using them up until a few years ago. My wife made me get cable, otherwise I wouldn't have it. TV (with the exception of sporting events) sucks these days.

;)

-stray-

Chic Freak
28-Mar-2008, 12:56 PM

Is that like a radio dial... to tune into the channels with?

slickwilly13
28-Mar-2008, 02:15 PM
Is that like a radio dial... to tune into the channels with?

Yeah, exactly like that. I remember them when they were still around. One knob turned the tv on and the other tuned the channels. Later on, tvs had one knob to turn in on and buttons to push for the channels. But keep in mind in the early 80's and further back there were not very many channels to choose from. Maybe 10?

Mike70
28-Mar-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, exactly like that. I remember them when they were still around. One knob turned the tv on and the other tuned the channels. Later on, tvs had one knob to turn in on and buttons to push for the channels. But keep in mind in the early 80's and further back there were not very many channels to choose from. Maybe 10?

speaking of archaic tv - remember when satellite tv started? the dishes back then were huge. it was like having a frikkin radio telescope in the backyard. some of those things were so huge, they looked like they could pick up signals from zeta reticuli.

http://www.satellite-tv.info/gif/trvodish3.gif

slickwilly13
28-Mar-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I see one of those every day. Actually two of them. One is a little bigger than that and I guess still works. It is in someone's yard across the street from a local Luby's that I sometimes dine in. The other one is actually in the rafters in my garage disassembled. Not mine. Don't know who it belonged to. But the dish was taken apart and stored up there. Its huge, but a little bit smaller than what is in the picture. Want it?

Mike70
28-Mar-2008, 08:09 PM
But the dish was taken apart and stored up there. Its huge, but a little bit smaller than what is in the picture. Want it?

nah man i'll pass. i think i'll stay with 21st century tech.:lol:

triste realtà
28-Mar-2008, 11:06 PM

In my opinion, TV was infinitely much better then. There were actually decent horror movies and shows on TV, like Night Gallery. Those weird cartoons were cool too, like the old Spiderman. WPGH from Pittsburgh used to show weird horror movies every Saturday afternoon at 2. I watched religiously and am trying to get as many as I can remember. Anybody got a list? Just the other day, I typed in a few key phrases from what I could remember about a movie and found out what it was and that it's available on various public domain box sets. It's They aka Invasion from Inner Earth by genius director Bill Rebane. (I can't believe you rolled on me.) :lol:
It really freaked me out back then but probably not so much now. Another good one, and there's clips on youtube, is a Sunn documentary called Beyond and Back about life after death.:skull:

Chic Freak
28-Mar-2008, 11:25 PM
But keep in mind in the early 80's and further back there were not very many channels to choose from. Maybe 10?

Is that including the Sky/ cable channels, or just the ones you get for free? Because we only used to have four terrestrial channels.

I am old enough to remember Channel 5 first appearing but too young to remember Channel 4 first appearing- before then there were just three: BBC1, BBC2 and ITV. And they didn't even have stuff on them all the time, apparently they only showed programs in the afternoon/ evening until 11pm :stunned:

clanglee
29-Mar-2008, 12:04 AM
:lol::lol:

My impression of British Television came from National Lampoons European Vacation.

"You wanna watch Cheese or Snow?"

So they used to play things like Monty Python Early in the evening? :stunned: In out puritanical country, that would never fly. Not back then. Probably not now, on non-cable.

Chic Freak
29-Mar-2008, 12:16 AM
So they used to play things like Monty Python Early in the evening? :stunned: In out puritanical country, that would never fly. Not back then. Probably not now, on non-cable.

Not even Monty Python's Flying Circus? Surely that's not offensive to anyone? It's more just silly, surreal humour than satirising anything anyone might hold dear (from what I've seen).

I heard about how Life of Brian was banned all together in some American states when it came out (1979?) though. Pretty funny.

Bruiser235
29-Mar-2008, 12:27 AM
You have to PAY to get into your own HS reunion? How freaked is that? My HS sucked and they don't have my new address. And that's the way I likes it. :D:D

slickwilly13
29-Mar-2008, 02:45 AM
I think the 80's had some very memerable programs growing. I think as a kid of the 80's we had best cartoons compared to today.

To answer Chicky's question. We had Channel 2-13 for free. And we paid for two premium channels: Showtime and The Movie Channel. This was back in the early 80's *80-83*. Around 1984-86 we ditched the other two premium channels for HBO and Cinemax. The Movie Channel showed R-rated programs during the day and my parents didn't want me watching those kind of shows. Though I saw the U.S. cable premier of the Creepshow back in 83, so go figure. *shrugs*

SRP76
29-Mar-2008, 06:10 AM
I'll bet that at the time, you sure as hell weren't going to pay 50 bucks to see the people in your class. At the time, you were probably demanding that the school pay you to show up.

ProfessorChaos
29-Mar-2008, 10:12 AM
next year will be ten years since i graduated....feels like a lifetime ago, but only last week...strange. i'm sure there will be a reunion, but i doubt i'll go. they had one for our fifth year, but i was literally on the other side of the planet at the time.

on my last day of high school, my best friend and i called the local classic rock station and i requested a dedication to the class of 99, and we jammed it out, burning a fattie, on what was probably the most beautiful day of my entire life up until that moment.

then we went back to school, lit up like a couple of christmas trees, and went to the third floor and dumped all the trashcans down the stairwell....ah, memories.:lol:

mista_mo
29-Mar-2008, 11:08 AM
man I must be the only person here who is technically a high school drop-out lol. so screw the reunion, they arent worthy of the honour of me leaving my snot on their fancy pants windows.

the 80s sucked, the..the...2000s are the future, and the way to go!

Liposuction and breast enlargements for everyone!

Chic Freak
29-Mar-2008, 06:19 PM
I'll bet that at the time, you sure as hell weren't going to pay 50 bucks to see the people in your class. At the time, you were probably demanding that the school pay you to show up.

Isn't it though. I'd have paid 25 quid not to see my classmates at the time.

Now I'm just happy not to see them for free.

Mike70
29-Mar-2008, 06:42 PM

damn straight man. high school blew donkey dongs.

i am willing to part with 50 bucks now though, mostly out of sheer voyeurism (for want of a better word). the curiosity i have for seeing what became of some of these people is the real reason i want to go.

MinionZombie
29-Mar-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd certainly be interested to see what people were up to. But I'd really only go if a bunch of my crew were going, then we could hang out and see what the hell came of all those people who strutted around like they were the kings of the school, the sluts, the jocks and so on...

Although social networking sites kinda do that stuff now on a real-time basis. One of the 'kings of the school' from my year in high school is (still is to the best of my knowledge) in a f*cking coma. :eek:

Chic Freak
29-Mar-2008, 07:34 PM
Although social networking sites kinda do that stuff now on a real-time basis.

True. According to Liam some of our ex-classmates stalk me on Facebook :stunned: Maybe sites like this will replace the 'need' for actual, physical reunions in the future.

p2501
29-Mar-2008, 07:39 PM
damn straight man. high school blew donkey dongs.

i am willing to part with 50 bucks now though, mostly out of sheer voyeurism (for want of a better word). the curiosity i have for seeing what became of some of these people is the real reason i want to go.
nice. I skipped my 10 year and i think the 20 will fare much the same way. frankly there's really no one from high school i'm all that interested in observing even on a base evolutional level.

besides given the popularity of Mysapce with people that have nothing better to do i average about one contact a month from some random git i went to HS with that wants to "get together and let our kids hang out". which when countered with the fact i don't have any offspring (nor do i really want any) it kinda buzz kills that moron high.

but really, i like people...

Mike70
29-Mar-2008, 07:51 PM
I'd certainly be interested to see what people were up to. But I'd really only go if a bunch of my crew were going, then we could hang out and see what the hell came of all those people who strutted around like they were the kings of the school, the sluts, the jocks and so on...

Although social networking sites kinda do that stuff now on a real-time basis. One of the 'kings of the school' from my year in high school is (still is to the best of my knowledge) in a f*cking coma. :eek:

i graduated in a class of like 360 people. of those 360, i have contact with exactly one them. my best childhood friend whom i have known since i was like 3 or 4. we still talk about once a week and get together when we can (she lives almost 70 miles away).

other than that i have no idea what any of these folks have been up to. i didn't go the 10 year reunion and neither did she but we have both made a pact to go to this one, mostly for sh*ts and giggles.