PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an internet Jekyll?

Neil
30-Mar-2008, 06:50 PM
I've been sort of slowly building a theory over years of experience(s) on the net, and wonder if anyone else can comment on their views/experiences?

The internet is a most fabulous place! But one of its great attributes, anonymity, is one of its biggest issues. And, the fact you're just talking/typing to a screen, rather than a real person, means a sentence meant to be taken in one, can easily be construed in another.

Worse still, without a human face infront of you, and a crowd of real people all watching your behaviour (as in the real world), your persona on the internet may greatly differ at times to your real one. ie: You may well behave very differently in some circumstances on the internet to how you would in say a real public situation/exchange.

I know here, for example, I tend to come across quite calm and level headed (at least I hope so??)... And I would suggest this is generally me in real life most of the time.

HOWEVER, at times in real life I do have a short temper of stupid things, and almost similarly I have an 'internet Jekyll' when it comes to online gaming, where I find I can get quite aggressive to say the least.

Now I wonder, if this is actually my vent? My yan to my yin? I have to do this to balance things out?

The thing is the internet helps this sort of behaviour - you have anonymity (or as good as?) - and no crowd of people around you watching you behave in such a fashion. Also, anyone can ge brave and aggressive on the internet; they are safe in the knowledge they can say anything and basically get away with it...

I remember thinking once, what a different place the internet would be if everyone communicated to each other on the internet as if they were actually there with the real person? It's part of the reason I try to always use my real name on the internet. Why hide behind the 'mask' of a false name.

What's interesting is when online gaming, I do NOT use my real name. I suspect due to my embarrassing behaviour sometimes??

So come on, I'm wondering if others find they have an 'internet Jekyll' to their personality? Or have encountered such behaviour over the years?

Danny
30-Mar-2008, 07:48 PM
as anyone whos heard my podcats can attest i type how i talk so yeah, this is pretty much me your dealing with, though i tone down my random ass comments like "cows vs humans round 2: you be the judge" to a minimum but aside fomr that nah i dont brag im me and me is all ya see.;)

now i HAVE seen people mostly with names involving the word "pimp" or something who are quite in life but assholes on the net.

Mike70
30-Mar-2008, 08:01 PM
i know that i certainly do, in some situations, have an internet mr. hyde side to my personality.

i think we all, even the calmest, most rational people here, have certain issues/topics that press our buttons. for me those topics are usually science and conspiracy theories. i cannot abide scientific ignorance and conspiracy theories just make me want to staple things to the foreheads of the folks that believe in them.

i can also get bent out of shape by people that come straight in here and start being rude and acting the fool in their first few posts. reason for this is simple: this is my internet home and is one of exactly two forums i post on. i come here to share ideas/opinions and interact with the friends i've made here and i don't really want to listen or be bothered by people who are intent on starting trouble right off the bat.

for the most part i am able to be relatively reasonable about pop culture topics - books, movies, tv and whatnot because i understand that those things are entirely subjective and up to personal taste.

i have often wondered over the years i've been coming here (you probably have too) how some of the folks we have encountered here are able to get on in the real world if their personality on here was reflective of the way they act in public.

you aren't going to get very far in life by being rude, confrontational, and insulting in a professional situation.

i think that the internet for all its wonders and awesomeness allows people to bring out character traits and act out in ways that they never would in public or in a professional job setting and allows people to say things that you normally (hopefully) would never say in real life due to the consequences.

the worst that can happen to you here for acting the fool is that you will be perma-banned. the consequences in real life for idiotic behavior can be far worse.

we all get bent of shape about things. some people on the internet seem to be bent out of shape on a permanent basis.

Danny
30-Mar-2008, 08:08 PM
i think warning site about those kinda people on here are if you read there fiction and it has a 5 page in depth play by play of a sniper rifle exploding a head like melon.

thats reaaaal dodgy.

Tricky
30-Mar-2008, 08:40 PM
I actually find online gaming more irritating a lot of the time than real life!its great when you get on a good server with people who play fair & similar to your playing style,but other times your playing against/with people who make you switch the game off in disgust,the amount of times ive sat swearing at the screen & banging my mouse down on the desk while playing battlefield 2 is ridiculous :lol: i love online gaming but sometimes it doesnt half make me radgey!

Tied2thetracks
31-Mar-2008, 01:37 AM
I thik we all do. The boards, what you see is what you get, i wouldn't say anything different to your face.

I have the bad habit of chat rooms and booze, Hyde likes to pop up on occasion.

axlish
31-Mar-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm pretty much like this all the time.

I came up with the name axlish because it was original enough to use for email addresses and forum ID's pretty much anywhere. Eric is almost always taken. I guess if the Matrix were real, I'd become axlish.

SRP76
31-Mar-2008, 03:43 AM
I tend to be nicer online than I really am, because on the internet, I'm never sure of people's personalities. Whereas when with your friends, you know what kinds of jokes and so forth are acceptable, and there's a comfort level.

ProfessorChaos
31-Mar-2008, 04:24 AM
i'm pretty much the same with my postings as i am in life, but when it comes to online gaming, specifically halo3 and cod4, i turn into an incredibly foul-mouthed demon after losing a couple of games, or if i've got stuck with a rotten teammate.

Neil
31-Mar-2008, 07:53 AM
i'm pretty much the same with my postings as i am in life, but when it comes to online gaming, specifically halo3 and cod4, i turn into an incredibly foul-mouthed demon after losing a couple of games, or if i've got stuck with a rotten teammate.

So similar to me then... Why is this do you think? Is it a 'vent' in someway?

Terran
31-Mar-2008, 08:16 AM
I think I vent much less than I use to....I use to bring all sorts of my day to day probelms to the forum....My most notorious event Id like to forget...

I feel like I crave more a rational discourse more than anything these days......but its hard to find one online.....

So if talking recently...I dont have a an online Jekyll...Least im not aware of one....

ProfessorChaos
31-Mar-2008, 03:33 PM
So similar to me then... Why is this do you think? Is it a 'vent' in someway?

could be....i generally get much more upset during halo3, primarily due to the inconsistency of the game (for example, i'll throw a handful of grenades into a room, not get any kills at all, then a lone grenade will come back at me and kill me instantly:mad:)...but yeah, i think shooting people online is a great stress reliever, and lets me get out my frustrations from the day...but then when i am hindered in these efforts, it only makes me more upset.

Marie
31-Mar-2008, 06:10 PM
You don't know WHO yer talking to or WHERE they are, So I am always polite and I leave as few details online as possible. There are lots of online Hydes and ammo is expensive and police reports are long.

M_

Chic Freak
31-Mar-2008, 07:56 PM
I have a personal theory that many people on the internet are more or less the opposite of what they are in real life, because they use the anonymity of the internet to do things that they feel they can't in real life, which is not always a bad thing.

I'd say I'm fairly genuine, but I'm sure I come across differently online than I do in real life. I'm probably less happy to chat away to strangers in real life, anyway!!

Legion2213
31-Mar-2008, 08:12 PM
It's simple...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/bam_bamb/theory-of-internet-douchebaggery.jpg

I think most folks are guilty of this at one time or another...I know that I am now and then.:o

I all honesty though, the things I say online are things that I genuinely believe, I may be a tad more forceful saying them, but that's because I am in no danger of getting a "robust beating" for it.:D

clanglee
31-Mar-2008, 09:11 PM
I guess so. Here on HPOTD I am a 33 year old, married father of one, with a penchant for zombie movies.

In reality, I am a 12yo girl from Shi Lanka who has little formal education and a penchant for wool mittens.

Go figure:D

Neil
31-Mar-2008, 09:12 PM
I guess so. Here on HPOTD I am a 33 year old, married father of one, with a penchant for zombie movies.

In reality, I am a 12yo girl from Shi Lanka who has little formal education and a penchant for wool mittens.

Yeh! And I have a really really tiny p***s!

Mike70
31-Mar-2008, 09:14 PM

this got a very loud bwahahaha out of me. :lol:

that's great.

mista_mo
31-Mar-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty much the same, i am, at the same time, a huge dick, and the nicest guy you'll ever meet. I tend to be the more moral guy in our group, who tries to keep things from going sexily wrong.

which is pretty much the opposite of how i act on here at times. Although yesterday, i had a very awesome adventure playing guitar hero 2 at my friends, rocking my cock out and singing and acting like a rock GAWD.

got my friend to play drums with the remote while i freaked out.

epic sh-it.

but yea, i tend to talk like i type as well, so i suppose I'm more or less the same, though slightly more tolerant of stupid people on-line, then i am of idiots in real life.

Tricky
31-Mar-2008, 10:09 PM
Im just me on this site & any others i use,ive never been one for alias's or trolling boards!if i get fiesty in an argument then thats just me being my opinionated self :moon::p

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2008, 10:53 AM
I have a personal theory that many people on the internet are more or less the opposite of what they are in real life, because they use the anonymity of the internet to do things that they feel they can't in real life, which is not always a bad thing.

I'd say I'm fairly genuine, but I'm sure I come across differently online than I do in real life. I'm probably less happy to chat away to strangers in real life, anyway!!
I'd be in a similar boat to you then. I come across pretty dern honestly, I don't see the point, nor pleasure, in being fake online...it's pretty lame and pathetic in my view...also really pointless.

I also don't "get" the whole trolling thing either, doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever ... meh, anyway...

Aye, I come across as I would in normal life, although like you I'm not one for just talking to strangers, but in a group of friends I can be quite verbose ... I also tend to change a bit between different groups of friends (e.g. high school chums and uni chums) ... with my high school chums, for some reason they bring this penchant for lowering the tone in a jokey way, out of me. :lol:

But across the board, humour wise, I'm a "banter" style joker. I don't tell one liners or whatever, it's always as part of a conversation and the humour gets twisted and manipulated and built upon as part of an entire conversation, with call-backs aplenty.

That's how I roll, baby...:D

Anyway, interesting thread...

Dommm
01-Apr-2008, 01:25 PM
I have to go on and say that I do have a interent alter ego and his less of an ass then my real life self.... or is that the other way around I tend to forget :D

Danny
01-Apr-2008, 01:29 PM
But across the board, humour wise, I'm a "banter" style joker. I don't tell one liners or whatever, it's always as part of a conversation and the humour gets twisted and manipulated and built upon as part of an entire conversation, with call-backs aplenty.

That's how I roll, baby...:D

Anyway, interesting thread...

other way for me, im the roland deschain of one liners that can hit people like a brick wall, and my ego feeds on it like a voracious woodland predator form the depths of middle earth.

Chic Freak
01-Apr-2008, 03:07 PM

okay

maybe I should come clean too

I'm not a 22 year old female fetish model

I'm actually a balding, middle-aged fat man with ketchup stains on his string vest :kiss:

The internet is a tricksy place.

mista_mo
01-Apr-2008, 04:00 PM
i feel i should come clean as well guys..i..I've been living a terrible lie...

I'm actually Mr.T...i...I am so sorry for making you believe I was actually a 19 year old white boy.

I don't pity you guys, but please,

pity this old fool.

Marie
01-Apr-2008, 11:39 PM
Yea, time to fess up. Marie is my internet personna, I'm really a sixty year old guy named Vern. I just have really bad B.O.
I'm not a naturist either.

clanglee
02-Apr-2008, 01:35 AM
Yeah, but the really weird thing is that I don't speak english, or read or write it. And I have never even seen a computer. My tiny hut has no internet access. :(

Mike70
02-Apr-2008, 01:42 AM
time for me to come clean guys - i am actually one half of midget conjoined twins. i live in whitehorse, yukon and run a support group for other midget conjoined twins who live in the yukon.

clanglee
02-Apr-2008, 05:55 AM
:lol::lol:
time for me to come clean guys - i am actually one half of midget conjoined twins. i live in whitehorse, yukon and run a support group for other midget conjoined twins who live in the yukon.:lol::lol: