PDA

View Full Version : isn't it funny how what is considered cool...

Mike70
31-Mar-2008, 09:26 PM
or fashionable can vary so much from place to place. one thing over here can be considered cool and fashionable while in australia or the UK it is considered rubbish/low class.

i bring you ugg boots as a perfect example of this. these are ugg boots for those of you scratching your heads:
http://www.bootbarn.com/details/product_images/C__Documents_and_Settings_egraham_Desktop_5251-SAND-L.jpg

now to set this up - the university my wife teaches at (miami u.-ohio) is an upper class uni. it is packed full of wealthy, fashionable young women from the very upper strata of (mostly) ohio's population. well these uber cool young women are all mad about ugg boots. i mean they are everywhere during cool weather. my wife was wondering about this latest trend so she started looking into it and found to her amazement that ugg boots are actually the sign of being a bogan in australia and are associated strongly with chavs in the UK.

both of us roared in laughter over this. if these chicks driving mercedes sportscars and $60,000 escalade SUVs only knew, oh if they only knew...

Chic Freak
31-Mar-2008, 11:15 PM
Ugg boots over here have gone the way of many fashionable items- they are considered vaguely elite when only a few people are wearing them, but as soon as they become popular and everyone is wearing them, they start seeming common as muck.

Personally, I hate Ugg boots, they just make your feet look big.

ZombieGrrL
31-Mar-2008, 11:33 PM
Ugg boots are uggh!

I can't get over this 'fashion', fair enough for someone to wear these boots inside the house with PJ's & a big cup of hot chocolate (if cold). I hear they're nice and warm.

BUT They should NEVER be worn outside by anyone other than 80's flannel shirt, stone washed jeans (or jeans skirt for the girls), beanie wearing bogans waiting in the dole queue.

The girls wearing the pink Ugg boots with short skirts are deluding themselves. I guess it's a comfy alternative to high heels but there's NO WAY you would catch me in Ugg boots!

ProfessorChaos
01-Apr-2008, 04:36 AM
at my university i see girls wearing these hideous things daily....what's worse is that many girls wear them with sweatpants...:barf:talk about ridiculous....

...and what's up with those stupid plastic-framed oversized glasses chicks wear these days?
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/gallery/bwsummertrends/sunglasses.jpg
this has gotta be the a runner-up for "things that women will look back upon themselves in 15years and wonder what the fu(k was wrong with them...." award winner.

Mutineer
01-Apr-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm wearing Emu's right now; it's cold, their snuggly. What can I say ?

Large sunglasses ? A hot chick can wear almost anything.

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2008, 10:57 AM
Ugh, I despise those huge glasses. Makes everybody look like Paris Hilton - and that's not a good thing. That's like dressing up as herpes on Halloween or something, it's just wrong...and looks stupid...or so I'd imagine anyway, point being - Paris Hilton glasses suck big time.

Ugg boots ... don't think I've seen them in person ... saw them on Bam's Unholy Union once though ... he threw them in the fire. :p

Chic Freak
01-Apr-2008, 11:06 AM
Heehee, I love giant sunglasses :P Maybe partly because I associate them less with Paris Hilton and more with people like Marilyn Monroe, Marilyn Manson and Kurt Cobain.

Plus- *girly insecurity moment*- I think I have a relatively 'strong' (read: manly) jaw and big glasses help it look smaller :P

For reference; pic of me in big glasses last summer:

http://anitadebauch.webs.com/photoshoots/cherrylingerie/cherriesthumb.jpg
copyright Anochecer

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2008, 11:15 AM
Two things.

1) You've not got a manly jaw.
2) Those glasses are far smaller than the paris hilton sh*tters.

Your shades are well within proper size limitations in the world of MZ. :D

MikePizzoff
01-Apr-2008, 01:25 PM
I think it's a staple for just about most college girls in the USA to wear Ugg boots and it pisses me off because I think they're uglier than cat sh1t. Those big sunglasses are annoying, too, because sometimes they'll make an unattractive woman look attractive and vice versa.

Mike70
01-Apr-2008, 01:40 PM
I think it's a staple for just about most college girls in the USA to wear Ugg boots and it pisses me off because I think they're uglier than cat sh1t. Those big sunglasses are annoying, too, because sometimes they'll make an unattractive woman look attractive and vice versa.

i am not surprised at all that ugg boots are becoming the next huge trend among college girls. i based my post on my observations on the kids here in oxford and what is going on at places like miami (trend wise) is usually going on at most unis. it does seem sometimes that there is some cabal of cool, hidden away in an underground lair, that feeds out the next major trend to kids.

ever notice how sorority girls almost always dress the same- especially when they are going out as a group? like they have some kind of uniform? same goes for the guys in some fraternities.

then again, in my long association with universities and university life, i have always thought that the greek system was ridiculous.

Chic Freak
01-Apr-2008, 03:13 PM
Two things.

1) You've not got a manly jaw.
2) Those glasses are far smaller than the paris hilton sh*tters.

Your shades are well within proper size limitations in the world of MZ. :D

Lol, cheers.

ever notice how sorority girls almost always dress the same- especially when they are going out as a group? like they have some kind of uniform? same goes for the guys in some fraternities.

I've never been in a sorority as such (don't really have things like that so much in British unis) but the thing with large single-sex groups of friends going out all dressed the same still occurs here, and imo it looks stupid to the point of being quite embarassing :|

Admittedly I probably dressed stupidly to the point of looking embarassing when I was at uni (think something along the lines of chain-smoking gothic bag-lady) but at least I knew that I looked stupid :P

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2008, 05:58 PM
When I was at uni, some trends annoyed me - such as those caps. Not flat caps that old men wear in allotments, but the "yoof" version. I HATE those things, they look stupid and really, really, really lame.

I remember once in one of our classes - I think it was Lucas & Spielberg, and there was some "tourist" (as we called them) dropping in for one of our film classes (if in that same school as ours, the same 'banner' if you will - which was titled English & American Studies, but included my degree of Film) and she had one of those on - but it was a fluffy/furry one and it looked EXTRA-stupid.

Plus she was talking the ENTIRE lesson, meanwhile all us real film students said barely anything like proper students, avoiding the lec's gaze as much as possible and just writing notes furiously so you didn't get asked (kinda silly when I look back, but meh :p) ... so she was in full-on "tourist" mode waxing lyrical and thinking she was hot sh*t - while we're all thinking "actually, no, because this happens in filmmaking" or whatever, she's out of her depth basically and thinks she's got this amazing theory on the go ... so aye, she was being annoying as a tourist and as one of those flat cap wearers.

As for what I wore at uni...

A lot of hoody time. I also had (and still have) this nice suade, black jacket. A lot of jeans wearing, the sort that are 'faded'...I had this great blue pair with kinda tan fading on them, and cos they sagged a bit around the feet the backs at the heels were all ripped up. They were boot cut too, and they showed off my manly legs ... so they were awesome. :D

A lot of t-shirts with bands on them, such as Misfits, White Zombie and many others.

In the summer it was t-shirts and shirts over the top...one I've still got is covered in flames and skulls ... it's awesome. :D

Oh and in the first year I dyed my hair bright "f*ck off" red ... twice ... it was awesome too. :D

If any Brits happen to see an episode of Trisha called "I don't buy your alibi" ... check out the audience for that hair, it's certainly featured a lot. :D

Chic Freak
01-Apr-2008, 09:09 PM
At uni I mostly wore lots of layers of stripey tights and socks, black calf-length skirts, bondage pants, scrubby old New Rocks, children's tee-shirts, torn woolly jumpers and long black coats (one velvet and one leather).

I had horrible Courtney Love-esque bleach blonde hair that sometimes got dyed pink or purple or had my homemade dreads added to it, tongue, nose and nipple piercings, no eyebrows, and permanently chipped black nail polish.

Plus, as I usually didn't see Liam for 5 weeks or more at a time, I pretty much didn't shave (except the aforementioned removal of the eyebrows).

Sheckshee :P

mista_mo
01-Apr-2008, 09:31 PM
I pretty much didn't shave
Sheckshee :P

:barf:

I Think I'll post a picture of me in some wicked shades at some point, you know, just to see if i have a manly jaw :P

(not making fun of your insecurities btw, just acting like i normally do.)

It's not manly fyi.
just thought i'd clarify my position.

moving on.

Tricky
01-Apr-2008, 09:50 PM
Ive gone through a few fashions over the years,but i tend to dip into a few rather than just having one look!its not to be a try hard trying to fit into every genre,its just cos i like to have a few looks,i dont stray too far with it though.
When i go proper clubbing i quite often go in cyber,but just out on the town im either dressed indie style or "catalogue boy", im sometimes quite vain about my appearance,but i think that stems from having the piss taken about how i looked at school,had a lasting effect on me so i always want to look my best!