PDA

View Full Version : which version of NOTLD do you use/watch...

Mike70
01-Apr-2008, 04:53 PM
i thought about this because of all of the talk about the 40th anniversary edition going.

i use the version put out by elite a few years back. i like it because it has seperate commentary tracks for the cast and crew. granted it doesn't have much else on it but the commentaries are pretty good.

does anyone know just how many versions of NOTLD are out there on DVD? i know that i have probably had at least 3 different ones in the last few years.

anyway, the version i am using has this cover:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61CX2V9SMAL._AA240_.jpg

bassman
01-Apr-2008, 05:27 PM
I like the good ol' Millenium Edition....

SymphonicX
01-Apr-2008, 05:57 PM
Remake...haha....sorry...

the original is OK...but by and large pretty unwatchable IMO....

Mike70
01-Apr-2008, 06:17 PM
the original is OK...but by and large pretty unwatchable IMO....

:stunned:

please do explain this statement.

ProfessorChaos
01-Apr-2008, 06:22 PM
millennium edition, all the way.

i remember when i first got to my unit in the marines and went on a dvd buying binge, and ended up getting the 30th anniversary edition.....:barf:...boy was i disgusted....and pissed.

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2008, 06:22 PM
:stunned: Indeed.

Anyway, I've got the Millennium Edition, got it last year in fact. The version I had before I got for £1.50, but it had some new stupid music whacked all over it...ugh.

capncnut
01-Apr-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/collection/n/00000311.jpg

This is Andy's favourite version. If you don't believe me, ask him. :sneaky:

axlish
01-Apr-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.lddb.com/cover/ld/05601-05700/05668.jpg

~ or ~

http://www.fulvuedrive-in.com/cover/ROMEROTHXNIGHT.jpg

DubiousComforts
01-Apr-2008, 08:47 PM
The 25th anniversary Elite laserdisc cover kicks ass!

Bruiser235
01-Apr-2008, 08:51 PM
I have the Millenium Edition. Hands down the best. I remember a few years ago my mother bought me the 30th anniversary edition by mistake. I had heard all the bad stuff surrounding that edition and made her return it for the proper edition. That showed her! :)

Choas
02-Apr-2008, 12:15 PM
The Millenium Edition.I have found no other copy,that comes even close.:rant:

Legion2213
02-Apr-2008, 12:26 PM
Steelbook edition - fully uncut, great picture and good sound, it's all I need. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XEF54JCCL._AA240_.jpg

I was going to splash out on the millenium edition, but I shall wait for the new 40th edition to come out, see how it stacks up against the Mellenium one (which seems to be the most highly rated release of NotLD according to you folks)

Oh, and if it matters, I actually watch the Savini remake more than I watch the original...I rate it highly.

Mike70
02-Apr-2008, 01:05 PM
Oh, and if it matters, I actually watch the Savini remake more than I watch the original...I rate it highly.

i also really like the savini remake. the only problem i have with it is the judy rose character. those air raid siren screams get really, really old very quickly. usually when i watch it, i simply skip past her screams.

other than that, i think it is a damn good little film.

i think the remake has some great zombie effects/makeup- more realistic than most other zombie films. i found the part in the commentary (or was it the featurette?) where they talk about how the special effects guys actually went to a morgue and modeled the zombie makeup on what a recently dead body actually looks like, rather interesting.

Dommm
02-Apr-2008, 03:34 PM
I watch the original and the colourised as well as the 90 remake, the best remake by far

SymphonicX
04-Apr-2008, 06:47 PM
:stunned:

please do explain this statement.

hehehe I know this will get a lot of people's backs up....

But the original night, after all said and done, is a bit hammy, very harsh, doesn't flow too well, suspense only really kicks in at the end.....thought Ben was a bit of an asshole, Barbara was the most annoying character in the world, but everything else was pretty passable....generally though I just don't enjoy watching it, and find it a bit of a chore.

capncnut
04-Apr-2008, 06:51 PM
I watch the recent Italian 40th Anniversary Edition, which is precicely the reason why I'm not buying the pants US version.

DubiousComforts
04-Apr-2008, 08:56 PM
But the original night, after all said and done, is a bit hammy, very harsh, doesn't flow too well, suspense only really kicks in at the end.....
I oughta drag you out there and feed you to those things!

Yojimbo
09-Apr-2008, 07:59 PM
But the original night, after all said and done, is a bit hammy, very harsh, doesn't flow too well, suspense only really kicks in at the end.....thought Ben was a bit of an asshole, Barbara was the most annoying character in the world, but everything else was pretty passable....generally though I just don't enjoy watching it, and find it a bit of a chore.

Oh SymphonicX say it ain't so!

To each his own, I guess, but.. nooooooooooooooo!
:)

Zomby Woof
13-Apr-2008, 11:57 PM
But the original night, after all said and done, is a bit hammy, very harsh, doesn't flow too well, suspense only really kicks in at the end.....thought Ben was a bit of an asshole, Barbara was the most annoying character in the world...
Disagree on most of your points, but that’s cool. Am, however, in complete agreement regarding Ben.

DubiousComforts
14-Apr-2008, 02:26 AM
Disagree on most of your points, but that’s cool. Am, however, in complete agreement regarding Ben.
The best part about Ben is that Duane Jones portrayed him has having a temper. Certainly he would have been more level-headed had he not fallen in with the likes of either Barbra or Harry Cooper, but then one doesn't demonstrate the ability to remain calm in a crisis whilst dealing with rational people.

jim102016
14-Apr-2008, 03:17 AM
I've only seen the original NOTLD and that ****ty remake where they change Barbara from a victim into a carpet-eating hero for the feminists.

I'm so far behind on NOTLD knowledge that I didn't even know one version is in color. Is it the millenium edition? I may check it out

Mutineer
14-Apr-2008, 05:26 AM
I like the good ol' Millenium Edition....

This is the one I have. :) :cool:

Ivarr
14-Apr-2008, 07:35 PM
For me ... I enjoy the Tom Savini version (90)

This is not to say I don't enjoy the original ... but I like the 90 version not least of all for not making Barbara into a usless twit and for re-enforcing the fact that if they had of just left they would have made it out alive.

Yojimbo
15-Apr-2008, 01:33 AM
I kind of dig that colorized version of NOLD,, and I usually hate colorized classics as a rule. But I recall there was an earlier colorized version that had green zombies, and one should avoid that version at all costs. It turned me into a newt.

DubiousComforts
15-Apr-2008, 01:40 AM
It turned me into a newt.
But you got better?

Yojimbo
15-Apr-2008, 01:52 AM
But you got better?

:lol:

Mike70
15-Apr-2008, 01:58 AM
i am going to have get a copy of the millenium edition. i think i might get it when i get the diary DVD. if i can't find it where i end up buying diary, i'll order it from amazon.

MaximusIncredulous
15-Apr-2008, 04:12 AM
Millenium Edition.

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2008, 10:22 AM
Ugh, the "colorized" version sucks. I had a copy of that, what did I do? I turned the colour on the TV right down to black & white. :D