PDA

View Full Version : How many guitarists have we on here then?

Tricky
05-Apr-2008, 05:33 PM
Im currently learning to play at the moment,its starting to come together a bit now as well!seen as my girlfriend is away till october ive got a bit of time on my hands & ive always wanted to learn so i bought a strat & amp the other week & started filling some of my time with that! :) enjoying it!

SymphonicX
05-Apr-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm an ex-guitarist....was very into it a few years ago but was hit by so many technique issues, hand cramps and stuff...I decided to give it up for good...every time I played I got depressed because I couldn't come close to perfecting the stuff I wanted to play. Sad, and defeatist I know....but I taught myself which was a bad idea, so only really practised my bad habits over and over....**** it....

major jay
05-Apr-2008, 06:50 PM
My son started playing about six months ago and is really hooked on it. He's had lessons and is coming along fairly well.
He practices with a band now and may perform in public soon.

Tricky
05-Apr-2008, 07:00 PM
Ive not had any lessons yet,but i can already play the usual stuff beginners learn like deep purple,nirvana stuff,few ACDC riffs,plus ive learned a few pink floyd songs :) im not setting out to be perfect though,i just enjoy learning & messing about with the guitar.Ive got some free lessons to take up that came with the guitar so il be taking advantage of them as well.One of my friends is very good on bass & he's teaching me a bit as well,a local band has said that if we get fairly good later in the year we can support them which would be cool for a laugh!

_liam_
05-Apr-2008, 07:21 PM
Aye I play Bass primarily, I currently own a Fender Jazz bass and an RBX374, Ideally I want a Rickenbacker & a Thunderbird IV goth edition

I started playing normal guitar about 3 or 4 months ago, and i'm total gash :lol: but aye, i've been chipping away at the ACDC and pink floyd too (as well as Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Metallica and Carcass - cool stuff to learn, easy but impressive sounding), it is certainly addictive.

Some news you may or may not know Tricky, word is that ACDCs next tour will be their last :eek:

Danny
05-Apr-2008, 08:06 PM
ive owned a guitar for 3 years and only ever learnt to play medleys of 8 bit video game music on it, but i bought a bass guitar last week and got it all kitted out adn bought some books to learn adn im coming along pretty good, though maybe because the teaching method is simple and explanatory not that circle of fiths stuff i could never wrap my head around.

Chic Freak
05-Apr-2008, 09:29 PM
I owned an electric guitar and a little practice amp for about a week, once! I practised a couple of hours every day and learned to (badly) play Never Mind the Bollocks, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' by Nirvana and 'Little Horn' by Marilyn Manson (god bless drop D!), before becoming enraged that I wasn't a virtuoso yet and selling it! Typical me :lol: It was fun having rockstar fantasies for that week though ;)

MikePizzoff
05-Apr-2008, 10:32 PM
What really boosted my guitar playing skills was learning to play various DEATH songs and "Hammer Smashed Face" by Cannibal Corpse.

capncnut
06-Apr-2008, 02:40 AM
I can play a little, but I'm not really all that. If I hear a song on the radio or tv, I can find the basic riffs in a short while.

kortick
06-Apr-2008, 04:15 AM
I play guitar, but i mostly focus on acoustic
my main instrument is keyboards
synths/piano/organ

I have an Epiphone Thunderbird IV bass and it is really cool
but I am looking for a different model as this bass is really
only great for heavy metal and it neck dives a lot.
I want a Padulla 5 string fretless for contrast.

Also I have a black gibson SG that i play Sabbath riffs on.
I am working on learning every sabbath song from the first album
up to Born Again. love Tony Iomni.

the only instruments i havent learned are wind instruments.
I had a sax for a while but i didnt like the tone, it annoyed me.

And yes you have to learn your circle of fifths!
music theory makes it so easy to pick up stuff.

i dont have to bother learning everysong if i have the sheet
music or a chord chart, and all I have to do is listen to
hear if the key is correct and if not just transpose it.

But anyways Rich, stick with it and the easiest way to learn
is by playing with other people. so get a jam session going soon.
You will see how great it is.

Tricky
06-Apr-2008, 11:30 AM
Aye I play Bass primarily, I currently own a Fender Jazz bass and an RBX374, Ideally I want a Rickenbacker & a Thunderbird IV goth edition

I started playing normal guitar about 3 or 4 months ago, and i'm total gash :lol: but aye, i've been chipping away at the ACDC and pink floyd too (as well as Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Metallica and Carcass - cool stuff to learn, easy but impressive sounding), it is certainly addictive.

Some news you may or may not know Tricky, word is that ACDCs next tour will be their last :eek:

The bassline to pink floyd "money" is a good one to show off with,sounds good on guitar or bass & sounds fairly complicated even though it isnt :D

as for AC/DC,shame its the last one but i guess they are all getting on a bit now!i heard brian had totally fried his voice a couple of years back (understandable with the way he sings!) but i saw a video on youtube of him recently singing with his old band "geordie" and he seemed to be hitting his highs there again!cant find the video now though!check this one out though,its like WTF :lol:
_rKEW6KrWxI

capncnut
06-Apr-2008, 12:27 PM
check this one out though,its like WTF :lol:

_rKEW6KrWxI
WTF? I love ol' sandpaper throat, don't put me off him. :D

As for AC/DC disbanding, I can't see that happening for very long given the length of time they've been around.

twistbud
06-Apr-2008, 02:05 PM
I have been playing for over 15 years. A couple recent songs I have learned are The Rover, Zeppelin
Love Song, The Cure
Guitar Man, Cake version
Icky Thump, The White Strips <--------currently my favorivte album, love icky thump

A site like this is good for learning. There are several out there.
http://www.chordbook.com/guitarscales.php
Learn your scales!

I have LOTS of tabs in PDF format that I could share, PM me.

capncnut
06-Apr-2008, 02:37 PM
Icky Thump, The White Strips <--------currently my favorivte album, love icky thump.
Funny you should say that, the last song I played around with was 'Conquest' as it happens.

DubiousComforts
06-Apr-2008, 02:53 PM
I've been known to dabble: Tom Sawyer (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=3278058) :D

bassman
06-Apr-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm mainly a bassist, but I mess around with guitar and other instruments.

axlish
06-Apr-2008, 06:02 PM
Add another one to the fire, been playing for 20+ years. I also play bass and I dabble around with the banjo, keyboard and drums.

Danny
06-Apr-2008, 06:25 PM
man theres been a 20 quid banjo in my local instrument store for ten years calling for me to buy and learn some proper hick tunes on, p-dang! :lol:

Mutineer
07-Apr-2008, 12:27 AM
I play (Intermediate).

Was jamming a few eeks ago at a friends (He plays drums); we were doing ABOUT A GIRL

:P

axlish
07-Apr-2008, 12:04 PM
man theres been a 20 quid banjo in my local instrument store for ten years calling for me to buy and learn some proper hick tunes on, p-dang! :lol:

The chords are very easy, two or three fingers for most. The finger picking is the tough part. It is as hard as it sounds.

Mike70
07-Apr-2008, 12:42 PM
i've been playing since 1983 or so. i mostly just dick around though, i've never been super serious about playing the guitar. it has always been something i do for fun or (as i've gotten older) to relieve stress.

Danny
07-Apr-2008, 02:25 PM
all this talks got me looking up my old how to books, and tyring to guess songs without getting sheet music, im playing final fantasy X so ive been figureing out the hymn of the fayth, so far ive got, on one string, 3-6-5-9, 9-8-9-11-3, then the chourus im sure is in the 12 to 16 range but i cant get that yet from memory alone.

MikePizzoff
07-Apr-2008, 06:37 PM
I've been known to dabble: Tom Sawyer (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=3278058) :D

That is a REALLY well done cover.

capncnut
07-Apr-2008, 08:34 PM
I've been known to dabble: Tom Sawyer :DThat is a REALLY well done cover.
Yeah, that kinda blew me away tbh.

DubiousComforts
07-Apr-2008, 09:28 PM
That is a REALLY well done cover.

Yeah, that kinda blew me away tbh.
Thanks! That particular clip used the direct house mix, so it's a little weak (mixed for the house, not for internet video). We're going to post some much better live videos soon. ;)