PDA

View Full Version : Vista users...

Tricky
06-Apr-2008, 03:04 PM
You may or may not know that service pack 1 is now out!i downloaded it yesterday,theres nothing noticably different but i imagine its far more optimised,i was playing company of heroes for a good few hours yesterday afternoon & didnt get any crashes so maybe it has helped!anyway just posting this in case anyone didnt know it was out :)

SymphonicX
06-Apr-2008, 03:46 PM
Cool, no I didn't know -nice one. Does the download start automatically or do I have to manually find it somewhere?

Tricky
06-Apr-2008, 05:13 PM
If you open windows update it should show up in there,its about 66MB :)

Legion2213
06-Apr-2008, 09:18 PM
So it is! I hadn't noticed that, I thought it would've been an auto update.

Cheers for the tip off. :cool:

Dommm
22-Apr-2008, 08:54 AM
Dont know if you guys know this but a couple of hints that helped me out on Vista (orignally hated this but have to admit I am starting to like).

1) move the index file over to a seperate harddrive from the one windows loads from (this speeds up the disk access time and causes less disk read/write access errors)

2) Turn off Aero unless if you have 4 gig of mem I find allot of freezes and crashes are caused by this.

Legion2213
22-Apr-2008, 09:00 PM
Dont know if you guys know this but a couple of hints that helped me out on Vista (orignally hated this but have to admit I am starting to like).

1) move the index file over to a seperate harddrive from the one windows loads from (this speeds up the disk access time and causes less disk read/write access errors)

2) Turn off Aero unless if you have 4 gig of mem I find allot of freezes and crashes are caused by this.

I only have 2 gig of RAM, I have never had any freezes or crashes.

Did you instal your Vista yourself? IME the people who have trouble with it are usually those who have installed it, not people who have bought new machines with it pre-installed.

Tricky
22-Apr-2008, 10:06 PM

Did you instal your Vista yourself? IME the people who have trouble with it are usually those who have installed it, not people who have bought new machines with it pre-installed.

Ive had a fair few crashes while gaming,most notably with company of heroes!the game will run fine for hours,then suddenly the screen will go black but the sound is still playing,then it freezes & quits to desktop & a pop up appears at the bottom of the screen saying the display driver has failed,doesnt happen all the time but it has happened a few.Ive kept all my drivers up to date,no viruses or anything,but it still does it regardless of my display driver version so i presume its just vista

Dommm
23-Apr-2008, 09:12 AM

:-) I do this for a living but hey this does not quantify anything...

As far as Vista goes it is buggy as hell but so was XP when it first came out, till about service pack 2. Mine was only having issues with AERObut this was a mixture of having 2 gig of ram and a 64 meg graphics card, I either need a graphics card with more onboard ram or more RAM to offset this.... but to be honest I dont find Aero nes enough to spend this money.

There are many machines that I have had to go in a do a fix for where the software came pre-installed which have had problems. In which case I have found either/both removing the Aero feature or moving the indexing file over to a seprate hard drive, also moving the index file speeded up my computers access times. This was confirmed by a few benchmark tests that I ran on it.