PDA

View Full Version : Audio filter question...

MinionZombie
08-Apr-2008, 12:38 PM
Bit random I know, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of software that can take a voice sample and then manipulate it, so it sounds like it's coming from a police/military radio.

So it sounds like this:

16LrmbKUNpk

Help would be appreciated. :)

DubiousComforts
08-Apr-2008, 03:56 PM
That video clip is no longer available, but yes, software like Adobe Audition or Cool Edit can filter audio to sound like it's coming over a radio or walkie talkie.

MinionZombie
08-Apr-2008, 07:07 PM
I have Cool Edit, however I was wondering if there was a small piece of software, or a filter in particular, which did that job specifically.

As for Cool Edit - can anyone suggest which settings to use?

DubiousComforts
08-Apr-2008, 07:29 PM
Send me the audio clip and I'll do it for you.

MinionZombie
08-Apr-2008, 07:31 PM
Send me the audio clip and I'll do it for you.
Kind of you indeed, Sir.

Didn't actually have any clips, was just wondering 'in advance' ... in advance of what, I duno...it's just been on one of my post-it notes to myself to ask about it. :D

Danny
08-Apr-2008, 09:59 PM
goldwave should do the job, google it b'yatch.;)

DubiousComforts
09-Apr-2008, 09:06 PM
Didn't actually have any clips, was just wondering 'in advance' ... in advance of what, I duno...it's just been on one of my post-it notes to myself to ask about it. :D
There are many ways to get this type of sound. I was able to listen to the clips in the video, and it sounds like reverb was added to the voice-overs, then squashed and distorted with compression and EQ. The reverb makes it sound less authentic because you don't usually hear any ambiance coming over a police radio or scanner.

EvilNed
09-Apr-2008, 09:29 PM
Well, equalize-wise, you should turn down the base and discant. Then play around with a compressor, perhaps.

If its for a film, try adding some Reverb (if its from a radio in a room) and a highpass / Lowpass. Forgot which one.

Danny
09-Apr-2008, 10:34 PM
record the voice, play it through **** speakers and record what comes out the speakers;)

kortick
09-Apr-2008, 11:43 PM
I dont know, the multiverb rack effects I always used
had that setting on it pre-programmed as it is
a popular voice over device.

I bought a cheap radio shack reverb unit for like 10 bucks
that had it.

its a really easy effect to achieve
it basically involves hollowing out the sound

any musician friend should have a device that
does this.